Anyone Watch Duff?

Lounge By cupcake Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 12:44am by MrsMissey

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 8:40am
post #1 of 25

Tonight was the first show. I was hoping to see a little more in the technique area. I was not interested in how many cakes they had to do, or that his chocolate had'nt come, or listening to his gal answer the phone.The camera was flipping around too much. I would have enjoyed it more watching them put together one project from start to finish. What do you'll think? Its the same thing with the Cake Challenges, you just barely get a glimpse of what they are doing.

24 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 9:28am
post #2 of 25

I agree. I was a little disappointed. But in all honesty, he only had 30 minutes. Maybe if it was a longer show it would be better.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 25

i didn't like his potty mouth, i guess the show was all right--but what did he do???????? a beach cake? that was really it (i mean on the show it's self)

sweetooth2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth2 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 25

I saw it too last night now I know the cakes look wonderful
and there very talented but.I didn't like how rude the woman who answers the phones wasto the woman who said something about
the price being so high.
the prices are most defently very very high and not everybody has
alot of money. I think the woman wanted something very simple so she
thought the price would be a little lower and she was shocked icon_surprised.gif
I don't think you should be rude to someone who might buy a cake from you. Don't they offer paying in payments or something.
and yea I saw his assitance do more than he did.
has fame gone to the brain.... icon_cool.gif

But the cakes did look GREAT! no doubt about that..

lakecountrymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakecountrymommy Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 25

I agree with all of you above. I think it was a joke. They were rude to potential customers, he has a foul mouth and a bad attitude. Unlike others in the other thread, I don't think he's cute and his laugh is a bit forced and sinister.

The show is about an over-the-top character rather than what people here were hoping for. It may change as time goes on, but for now I was not overly impressed.

That grooms cake...ummm, were any of those guys the groom? did the groom even see it? I saw a guy in a blue shirt just dig his hand into it. How disgusting. How crude and barbaric. Would like to have seen the grooms reaction since it was for him.

I guess some people will just like whatever the media tells them to like. As for me, the cakes were interesting, but the side-show antics were for the camera.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 25

Very interesting reactions to his show last night, I will watch the rerun tonight to see for myself. I wasn't very impressed with him when I saw him up against Colette on the Mystery Cake Challenge. JMO.

lakecountrymommy Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 25

Oh, BTW, I thought it was interesting that he belittled the woman who called and said she 'had taken courses in the past'. He told the phone chick to call her and offer a help-line and also told her to "KMA".

(Not too professional, especially in front of the camera. He probably makes fun of a lot of people who pay him big money for cake.)

No one here mentioned this antic.

He has no idea of her skill level or talent. Could have been any one of the people on this site calling. So, all these people here think he's so fantastic and he basically was laughing at each and every one of his fans here.

Just a little food for thought.

Did any one else catch that comment and what he was implying?
Does it change your mind about him?

He'd be better off toning down his showmanship for the camera. I don't see this show winning any awards or lasting very long.

I give it a thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 25

I agree that some things about the show could have been better, I think he was trying to show out in front of the camera a little. However, I did like seeing how the business was ran, its interesting to me to see the little problems you can run into that can be such a big deal to a business like that. He's no Collette Peters but I respect his skill and his work.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 25

Maybe I have a different attitude about things, but I liked the show. I wasn't expecting a step by step show. I don't think Food Network is really ever going to do that. It'd be very nice of they did, but I just don't know if they think there is the audience for that. As someone mentioned it jumped around like the challenges. Yes, but the challenges are there to wow people, and I'm sure they figure the average person would rather see all the mishaps than the 'cake people' out there seeing all the step by steps. Same thing here. I think the show is more about the life of a cake decorator and not just about how to do cakes.

As far as the comment about the woman calling. I think it wasn't about her skills. It was more that she didn't want to pay the money and decided to do it herself. I find that kind of funny cause I can see someone posting the same situation on here, and I can imagine what several people would say about it. In most cases people here would be in favor of the cake decorator and against the woman that thought she could do it herself.

Who knows if he was playing it up for the camera or if that is just is normal everyday attitude about things.

And please lets not judge people based on what you see on a show/TV. Yes maybe you felt the woman answering the phones was rude to someone, but at the same time who knows how many other conversations she had where she wasn't? And yes, so Duff cuses, which I find extremely funny personally, but do you think he is the one that picked all the scenes they showed?

I'm guessing Food Network has days and days and days of footage to filter through and put into a half hour. Of course they are going to show the more dramatic moments, and not all there nice little coversations. It always happens that away with reality TV. People want to see the drama, the problems, conflicks and such.

lakecountrymommy Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 25

It's funny, the other thread about this show is mostly people who really like him. This one, so far, is more negative to the show.

I agree with a lot of what you said (Texa) . I wasn't expecting a how-to show either.

Right again, people do post often about customers planning to do-it-themselves or complaining about cost.

And I know you are right on about lots of footage and editing. Based on what people have said about him in competitions, the show reflected the real deal with him. Which is fine. Media loves controversy, so they show it.

Personally though, I think when a person reaches a sort of star-status, certain obligations come with that. I'm not about being politcally correct, but I also think it was in poor taste to mock a potential customer on TV. I know catty stuff goes on everywhere, but professionals usually watch their P's & Q's in the public eye.

Caller may have talent though. We don't know and neither does he. I'm sure his prices are waaayy out there. But to say "we don't make small and we don't make cheap" is belittleing. There's nicer ways to say things.

Maybe it's a generational/age thing. Seems the CC'rs like him a lot or not much at all.

Same can be said for anyone. Celeb or not.

Maybe that's why Food took him on. Maybe they know he stirs up a lot of buzz or emotion, so people will tune in to love him or hate him. As long as they keep tuning in!

katleg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katleg Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 25

i cant believe the negative response!

i thought it was amazing!

he does have his own show for a reason. he is different!

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 25

I liked the different approaches he and his fellow employees took to doing cakes. I really thought the Jeep cake was amazing and was impressed with the way the guy went about making it. I also caught it that he was disappointed too with the way the guys at the party just grabbed pieces out of it. He was hoping for the WOW factor and lost out.

I also liked them showing the difficulty of delivering to a racetrack.

I guess all in all I did like the show - not necessarily because of Duff, but because of the overall dynamics of the show. JMO

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Maybe I have a different attitude about things, but I liked the show. I wasn't expecting a step by step show. I don't think Food Network is really ever going to do that. It'd be very nice of they did, but I just don't know if they think there is the audience for that. As someone mentioned it jumped around like the challenges. Yes, but the challenges are there to wow people, and I'm sure they figure the average person would rather see all the mishaps than the 'cake people' out there seeing all the step by steps. Same thing here. I think the show is more about the life of a cake decorator and not just about how to do cakes.

As far as the comment about the woman calling. I think it wasn't about her skills. It was more that she didn't want to pay the money and decided to do it herself. I find that kind of funny cause I can see someone posting the same situation on here, and I can imagine what several people would say about it. In most cases people here would be in favor of the cake decorator and against the woman that thought she could do it herself.

Who knows if he was playing it up for the camera or if that is just is normal everyday attitude about things.

And please lets not judge people based on what you see on a show/TV. Yes maybe you felt the woman answering the phones was rude to someone, but at the same time who knows how many other conversations she had where she wasn't? And yes, so Duff cuses, which I find extremely funny personally, but do you think he is the one that picked all the scenes they showed?

I'm guessing Food Network has days and days and days of footage to filter through and put into a half hour. Of course they are going to show the more dramatic moments, and not all there nice little coversations. It always happens that away with reality TV. People want to see the drama, the problems, conflicks and such.

Wow! I couldn't have said it better!
I totally agree with everything you said, I loved the show,
I laughed the whole time, the show was REAL, it's how I feel they really are and how they really act off camera,
can't wait to see the next one!

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 11:56pm
post #14 of 25

To me he was normal. I was nice to see a real person making cakes and having fun and being themselves. I think he was proobably being himself. Anyone who uses a sanding blet in a cake making store, is going to be a little different. Go DUFF!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:35am
post #15 of 25

I think his program is more geared, as Texas said, to see him as what goes on as a professional cake decorator and therefore is for entertainment value. Everything after 8 p.m. on Food Network is basically for entertainment. I think the rest of the programs will be the same, dibs of this and that, based on what Food Network has on their website.

daltonam Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:50am
post #16 of 25

i guess i didn't need to know that it takes a special talent to say

KMA
F--this &
B that

i think he has talent & i would watch his show again to see how it goes---like i said i guess my son just loves designing cakes for me & LOVED watching the Mystery Cake Challenge & i really couldn't let him watch this show & THAT SUCKS!!!

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:22am
post #17 of 25

I thought the show was hilarious. I did learn a thingy--he airbrushes all his fondant, not mixing colors, you know how you know something but don't really do it. I think airbrushing saves lots of time. I am personally fed up with people that always want 1/2 off, free, or a hook-up. My budget is tight too, I don't get a break when I go shopping, my car runs on the same high priced gas as the next person. If your boss said he wants double hours for a quarter of the pay I don't think that would go over too well. I agree if they want cheap there is a market for that. If you want specialty then you pay for it. Coach, Versace, Prada, Kate Spade, etc all these designers items cost a pretty penny. Sorry for my ranting and raving, but I am sick of giving breaks and some customer still don't appreciate it. Help me people!!!!!!!!

sweetooth2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth2 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:40am
post #18 of 25

to me its not so much the money
its the response I get from the people when they see a cake and love it, that makes me happy...
( that poor guy worked his but off on that jeep cake..and those people ripped into it. who were they anyway???? that would have hurt to see that happen to a cake of mine..)

I know you can make a cake for a fairly low price and it looks like
it cost alot do to.

thats the down fall of a cake buisness dealing with people and prices..and yes rude people on the phone.what is wronge with payments or for that matter doing a less detailed cake for a lower price a sale is a sale right.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 11:27am
post #19 of 25

Maybe I am a little more serious about things then most, but I don't see where the humor was on this show. Its obvious that Food Network has to constantly look for characters to appeal to a certain audience. I think they target age range from maybe 25 to 35. I guess I enjoy quality programming.I suppose entertainment is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone has a right to an opinion. I will watch again just because I do enjoy the cake business. I agree that the guy that did the jeep put so much work into his project, I would have been mortified to watch someone tear apart one of my cakes like that. I guess the network thought that was funny.

MsCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsCakeLady Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:03pm
post #20 of 25

I loved it! And intend to tape what I can. The show is mostly about how the business is run. And if you want a shop someday take a peak at the people he hired. Yes they were his friends but they had strong art backgrounds. The guy who made the Jeep was an architectual model builder before working for Duff. No wonder he is so precise! There is a lot of little things to pick up from the show. I am just happy to see it.

I give it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:11pm
post #21 of 25

I happen to love the show. I think Duff is creative, funny, and an awesome cake decorator. I say GO DUFF and CHARM CITY CAKES!

As for those who are complaining on this thread about the show. About his cursing and behavior...all his cursing was bleeped (it is reality tv), the show is late at night like 10:30pm (kids should be in bed anyway), and nobody heard the conversation with the lady about the cake prices. All you heard was the manager talking after she hung up the phone. You don't know what the person was saying to the manager. It is not a step by step show, it is to see how a cake decorator juggles numerous cakes and how he handles a bakery shop.

And Texassugar was right on with her post about people posting on threads complaining about customers and payments. It is ridiculous to hear so many negative responses. Sounds like people are very green.

Please don't come onto a thread and complain about something and then say "well I will still watch the show". If you really were offended then turn the tv off and don't watch....PLEASE don't come onto a thread and complain about it. No one wants to hear it!

SORRY........but it really upsets me to go on these threads and listen to negative people when really all we are talking about is CAKE not politics!

lakecountrymommy Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:47pm
post #22 of 25

Politics? I must be misunderstanding. I didn't think the topic was getting as serious as the topic of politics.

This is not meant to offend anyone in particular, just generally speaking:

what's wrong with less than positive opinions about the show? The other thread was very positive to the show. No one complained that it was too positive.

So what if people are interested in the topic but don't care for the host/main character. One may like a certain networks coverage of the news but not be in love with the top anchor. So, they will tune in again.

Seems the people who didn't care too much for Duff aren't upset by the positive comments. Why does it seem the people who like Duff a bunch are offended by negative comments?

And jealousy is not the issue at hand. That's not realistic. It's just opinions.

No offense meant to those who love the show. Just allow us to say we didn't like it. We listened to the positive comments without a stir.

BTW, the show isn't aired at the same time (that late) in all areas. It wasn't really about the need for bleeping. But you're right that people have the ability to turn it off.

And you are right! We don't know what the other end of the conversation was. But we do know what he said. And we have differing opinions about that. So be it. It could have been someone quite able however. Someone who knows how to, but didn't want to.

Anytime there's differing opinion on CC it turns into something other than what it started. I don't understand that.

There's differing viewpoints on things. Why can't that be okay? Or are the forums just supposed to be a cheerleading squad for everything?

(Afterall, we're allowed to give + and - opinions on products and techniques, etc.)

daltonam Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:34am
post #23 of 25

oops read below

daltonam Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:35am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

i think he has talent & i would watch his show again to see how it goes

so as i can see i've already said he has talent & i get B*tched at b/c i complain & then say i'd watch his show again---& HOW DARE someone time me what time a son should be in bed--EVER HEARD OF RERUNS

i think it's best if someone locks this one before someone gets kicked out--like myself

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:44am
post #25 of 25

Thread has been locked ...thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%