Anyone Watching Ace Of Cakes On Food Network?

Decorating By app_37190 Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 5:39pm by mrboop

app_37190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
app_37190 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:49am
post #1 of 88

Is anyone watching the Ace of Cakes on the Food Network tonight. It is on right now. It is the premier of a new series.

87 replies
steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:55am
post #2 of 88

I AM!!! Wish they were showing more cakes though. Hope he doesn't DROP the cake in the infield icon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:58am
post #3 of 88

Thanks for the reminder!! I missed it (DH watching football) but I 've got my dvr set for the rerun later tonight!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:02am
post #4 of 88

i thought we were going to see more detailed cake work...i hope there is more to come in way od how to. cool show otherwise.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:03am
post #5 of 88

I watched it. I wished they would have focused on one thing. I think there was too much going on. & not enough cake icon_cool.gif

app_37190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
app_37190 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:03am
post #6 of 88

I agree they do need to show more cakes. He is a little rough around the edges but love watching anything with cake decorating.

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:04am
post #7 of 88

Darn!! I missed it! Hopefully there will be a rerun! I don't get off work until 1am cst. thumbsdown.gif

scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:04am
post #8 of 88

I agree with Steffy.....wish they would show more cakes. Oh well......and his mouth could use a little clean up for TV....I know I say similar things doing wedding cakes, but that got to be a little much IMHO

Chris

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:10am
post #9 of 88

I agree with the mouth clean up. That is the first thing I said to dh. It was entertaining but not educational!! But what a character icon_smile.gif

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:13am
post #10 of 88

I think it being the premier they wanted to focus on him and his staff and the bakery, so hopefully we will have more cakes in the next ones. There's another one on at 10:30 but I don't know if it's the same as this one was. I love Duff!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I even have him on my myspace page...lol!

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:17am
post #11 of 88

Just watched it and I loved it (though I missed a little bit in the middle while I was getting dinner). I think Duff is such a dreamboat icon_biggrin.gif but that's another topic. It was really neat to see all the details they put into their cakes. As far as there being too much going on in the episode, perhaps the other episodes will focus on fewer cakes. I can't wait to watch more of the show.

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:20am
post #12 of 88

I loved it! I liked to see the effort they put into it and now I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets testy about people putting their fingers in cake! XD

kochanski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kochanski Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:24am
post #13 of 88

I really felt for poor Geof when the groom just dug into his jeep cake. That cake was so amazingly detailed and underappreciated... I don't think you should watch your creation being mauled... he looked so sad!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:25am
post #14 of 88

It was OK. They moved from one thing to the other. Was too busy.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:26am
post #15 of 88

dang nabbit! I missed it!

I tried and tried to remember to turn on the TV to see it.

Looks like they have lots of reruns though, hopefully I'll catch it later!

Thanks for all the reminders everyone!

cakearoni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakearoni Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 4:03am
post #16 of 88

First: I am a Duff fan since I found his site 2+ years ago but I agree with you all--they moved too fast through everything (guess you can tell we're all cake heads then).

Interesting to see its the 'same' thing we all do though...fondant, modeling chocolate, cardboard dowels, air brush...no surprises, no trade secrets, no super expensive gizmos...theyre ahead of us with PRACTICE perhaps and a boat load of talented people (extra hands) I was surprised it all looked obtainable--like anyone of us could do it given the space and time

did anyone else get that impression or am I just having 'delusions of ganduer'

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 4:08am
post #17 of 88

LOL, I know it was mean but I liked the part at the beginning where they got a phone call from a lady wanting a simple 3 tiered cake and said she could do it herself cheaper. LOL, it cracked me up when Duff said to call her back and tell her that if she needed any help they could be her "personal cake hotline...and in addition, you can tell her to "blank" my "blank"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it's vulgar, but I can see myself thinking this aloud. icon_razz.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 4:15am
post #18 of 88

I think they decided to just whiz thru the episode and show lots of stuff because that is how Duff does it. I mean really! 21 cakes in 3 days! icon_surprised.gif Man alive! icon_eek.gif I could never do that! Well, maybe with several helpers like he has, but still. And with such gorgeous results! I love that show! Gimme more!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 4:17am
post #19 of 88

I think I could've sat watching intently as he wrote on those little pieces. He is ADORABLE! His laugh...sigh....

oh, oh...I felt so bad for Geof! Appreciation of the work is ...dang!...like payment(almost..kinda sorta)

I wouldn't have stayed to see it mutilated.

Mary Alice...YES! I would definitely want someone like that handling/screening my calls! LOL "I wanna speak to the owner" , she mocks the caller...I got a big chuckle outta that one.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 5:51am
post #20 of 88

Duff is a stud! judge.gif

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 5:56am
post #21 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakearoni

First: I am a Duff fan since I found his site 2+ years ago but I agree with you all--they moved too fast through everything (guess you can tell we're all cake heads then).

What's the name of his site??

karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 6:01am
post #22 of 88

I think that duff is a super funny down to earth kinda guy, i love how relaxed he seems even though he had all those cakes to crank out. I do agree with the others in that the show had too much going on, and not enough cake. Hopefully the episodes will get more focused/detailed later on.

I have a question, does anyone remember when he was stacking that white tiered wedding cake at the beginning (the sea-shell one) when he ws doweling it, and he had the dowels on the underside of the cake plate and then he stuck em' in, i've never seen that done that way before.. does anyone here do it that way?? And if so, can you explain how its done?

thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 6:03am
post #23 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakearoni

What's the name of his site??

His website is www.charmcitycakes.com icon_smile.gif

cakearoni Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 6:56am
post #24 of 88

ya know I didnt see that part but I kept it on TiVo so I'll have to go back and look...but that Michele girl did it that way to (from the Bobby Flay throwdown show) AND I think I saw a post from someone that said she did hers that way too...made a comment about how she had drilled all her Wilton plates with a hole in the middle and the up side was that it was much sturdier and no guessing where the 'middle' was. Looks like it might be a good thing to do if you transport a lot of cake

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 12:56pm
post #25 of 88

I liked, but didn't love it, but it has potential to be great. Am hoping that this was kind of an introduction show to get familiar with Duff and his team and their demands, but later they will start focus in on some creative things. Also, WAY TOO MANY COMMERCIALS!!!! I will have to record it and try again, so I am not so frustrated by all of the interruptions.

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm
post #26 of 88

I liked the show, but I don't think they are going to change the format. I don't think it's supposed to be an educational crafty type show. I think it's just supposed to be entertaining. I wish they would have a show that was more along the lines of How To. I mean, they have all of the other shows about how to cook food, why not a show about HOW to decorate a cake. I love the cake challenges and this show, but I want to LEARN more! (I think I'm a cake nerd!)

chele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:01pm
post #27 of 88

AWESOME.. I thought the show was great.. I laughed from the time it started until the time it ended.. It was the first episode, give him some time. He wanted to show you what he was all about first!!! I love it!! Can't wait till next week!!!!

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:49pm
post #28 of 88

I think he is very entertaining but sometimes he concerns me a bit, sodering and welding near food? Lead anyone? I missed the first episode, I've only seen him during the cake challenges and I think he is fun but I don't get the big deal about him. icon_redface.gif I may have to watch his show, looking at his website, he does do nice work. Maybe I didn't get a good view of him from just the challenges?

cakearoni Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:53pm
post #29 of 88

Im pretty sure he uses lead free solder...I do when I make crystal monogram toppers...its pretty available

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:56pm
post #30 of 88

I was so looking forward to seeing it; and was a little disappointed (because I don't do a lot of fondant-covered cakes). But I sure emphatized with Geoff when the groom hacked his creation. I'll be watching to see how the show evolves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%