Stars And Hearts On Wires

Decorating By deepthi Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm by miriel

deepthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deepthi Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 4

I have seen some cakes in the gallery with stars or hearts coming out of the cakes with the help of wires.

Can anyone give suggestions on doing this? like the kind of wire, where to get it and how to stick it in the cake?

TIA

3 replies
vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 4

You can get the wire in pre-cut lengths in the floral department of Walmart or any crafts store. I prefer the 18 guage wire it is the right thickness for stars and sm balls.
Val

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 4

I just did a cake like you described yesterday. Here it is... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=708203

I bought my wires (26 gauge, 18 in, white) at Walmart. They worked perfectly for the size fondant stars I made which were about an inch in size. I cut the wires in half first. I then rolled out the fondant and cut the stars out. I immediately and carefully stuck a wire into the star until it was about 3/4 through the center. If the star bulged a little I rolled lightly back over with the fondant roller. I layed them flat to dry. I didn't have any issues with them falling off of the wire. I had planned on dipping the tips of the wires into piping gel and then reinserting if they did. I took a clean straw and pushed it down into the cake where I wanted it. I then used that straw to measure and cut the straw I would be using for the cake. I took the wired stars and stuck them in the straw one at a time arranging them the way I liked. I stuck as many as I could until it was too tight for more. Then you just stick the straw into the cake.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 4

Floral wire is used. You can get these in craft stores and they come in different gauges. The smaller the number, the thicker the wire.

I have different gauges on hand and play with them to see which size holds the pieces better.

Use plastic coffee stirrers or straws inserted to the cake to hold the wires.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%