Make Your Own Stamps

Decorating By caryl Updated 29 Jun 2007 , 11:45pm by caryl

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 13

I've been experimenting with making my own stamps to use on cakes & cookies (since I heard craft stamps are NOT food safe!). Here's what I came up with: Many craft PUFF PAINTS are non-toxic. I cut the clear plastic lid from a coffee can into a strip a little larger than the size of the design (I did a scroll to experiment with). I 'piped' my design onto the palstic with the PUFF PAINT. Build it up so it sticks up away from the background- I went over it twice. Since the plastic is transparent, I placed the design beneath the plastic and 'traced'. The paint was dry to the touch after about 1.5 hours-I helped it to set using a hair dryer on low speed with high heat- normally it takes 4-5 hours to dry completely. When it was dry, I glued a small piece of the same plastic to the back side of the strip, so it was perpendicular- to give me a handle. Oh, I used GORILLA GLUE for this- it is also non-toxic (even though it is on the back- I wanted all food safe parts). Let it dry completely, then stamp onto crusted BC, or fondant. For me- it's better than freehanding a repetitive design!

12 replies
nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 13

That sounds like a great idea. I think I will try it out. Do you know if the puff paint is food safe?

tcdup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcdup Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 13

That is a really cool idea!!!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 13

Even though something is considered non-toxic, it doesn't mean it is food safe.

I wouldn't use stamps like that personally.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you for sharing. You can use unmounted stamps, these you can use. their is no glue like mounted stamps. You use an arylic block with two side tape. Works great. unmounted stamps are a lot cheaper and easier to store, you just have to make sure they are only used for food products you can not use for paper and food.

This person was HGTV.

http://www.sweetstampen.com/

here is where I buy unmounted stamps:

http://www.stampin.com/index.htm

here is the article from sweet stampen: go down a little.
In this article she cutting her dough. But I use cookie cutters, she shows this to you in her video.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/cooky/sweetstamp/instructions.htm

caryl Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 13

[quote="Hippiemama"]Even though something is considered non-toxic, it doesn't mean it is food safe.

Good point- I'll have to investigate this further. I wouldn't want to be a proponent of anything that may be harmful to someone. I was just experimenting, came up with an idea, & thought I'd share.
There's a lot of items people use in this manner that are non-toxic, but don't specify food safe because the are not intended for a food use, but that doesn't mean they are harmful. I guess I'm looking at the info that if a child ingested this item it is considered non- toxic, therefore the limited exposure to the food item shouldn't be harmful either.
But again, this does need further investigation.
justsweet- thanks for the info. That's good to know. I was thinking of when you are doing something totally custom and having to repeat the design. Trying to think outside the cake box!

caryl Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 13

FYI: Just gto an email from "the stampin place"- they said they DO NOT recommend their stamps for food use.
But "Sweetstampen" advertises their as food safe.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:45am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryl

FYI: Just gto an email from "the stampin place"- they said they DO NOT recommend their stamps for food use.
But "Sweetstampen" advertises their as food safe.

I have talked to the stamping place before and you can use unmounted stamps because they have NO glue. Their is a stamping company that sell unmounted stamps only. they do home parties, not "stamping up" becuase their stamps are mounted on wood my friend who sells them tells people not use them for stamping on food but you can use unmounted stamps. The same stamps that "sweetstampen" sells you can buy on other websites. I will see if I can find that home party company.

I keep my unmounted stamps with my cake stuff so the kids do not use.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:52am
post #9 of 13

I am almost positive I read on another post that someone used Royal Icing to make a design that would leave an impression. That would certainly be food safe, I just don't know how long the "stamp" would last.

darkchocolate

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:28pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolate

I am almost positive I read on another post that someone used Royal Icing to make a design that would leave an impression. That would certainly be food safe, I just don't know how long the "stamp" would last.

darkchocolate

What a good idea. I'm sure it would hold up for the cake you made it for. icon_smile.gif

use2bethiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
use2bethiel Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 13

I have created my own stap with some help from one of the other members on this site but can't remember who. I used it on my Dora and Diego cake for my twin girls. This one works great and IS FOOD SAFE! But first you would have to reverse the immage. Trace the immage you are looking to make with PIPING GEL! Let the PIPING GEL dry. Wha La you have a stamp. You can keep these for a long time as long as they are in a baggie or covered so they don't get dusty. You probally could do your pattern on your coffe lid as well. Just use PIPING GEL insted of that puff paint.
Hope this helps.

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:46pm
post #12 of 13

What about a stamp out of gumpaste?

caryl Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by use2bethiel

Trace the immage you are looking to make with ! Let the dry. Wha La you have a stamp. You can keep these for a long time as long as they are in a baggie or covered so they don't get dusty. You probally could do your pattern on your coffe lid as well. Just use insted of that puff paint.
Hope this helps.

thumbs_up.gif Thanks! I didn't know piping gel dried like that! I tried it and it worked great! And no worries about food safe issues. Thanks so much! This is why I love CC! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%