Making Pokemon Cake-Questions

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 7:05pm by sunflowerfreak

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 16

I am making a Pokemon cake for my grandson's 7th birthday party. He has 4 Pokemon figures that he likes the best and I would like to put them on a large sheet cake. Would this be done with a buttercream transfer? I've tried them before and they didn't come out good. I could do fondant. Does anyone have any suggestions?

15 replies
heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 16

You could also do the pin prick method and then fill in with your star tip, or fill in with any tip and smooth it with a paper towel. If you do the smoothing it looks very much like a transfer. I have not had any luck with the buttercream transfers either.
It is amazing to me that pokemon is still going strong. My son was big on them when he was little...he is now 15!
Oh, I just thought of something...I did cupcakes for him when he was in first grade that looked like the poke balls. Just used a star tip to decorate and did half the top in red and the other half in white with a black line to seperate and a white dot in the center with a black outlne. The kids went nuts over them!!!
They looked just like the poke balls, we even had one green one because one little boy was allergic to red food coloring. My sweet son thought of him while we were decorating, and we made him a special poke ball! Hope my rambling helped you with some ideas!!

sunflowerfreak Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 16

I have no idea what Pokemon is all about but my grandson loves them. I was wondering what that red and black ball thingy was. What is a Poke ball-what does it do? Maybe I will make up some of those cupcakes too. That would be cute. I think I will try the pin prick method. Thanks so much Heidi.

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 16

If I remember right, the poke balls are where the pokemon live once you capture them. You have to pull a poke ball out and release the pokemon everytme you want to use a different one for battle. I'm sure your grandson could explain it much better if you're really curious to know! I never did take a picture of those cupcakes, but I may get a chance to make them again. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old (both boys) that I am sure will be into them. That and Captain Underpants! Ask him if he knows who that is. He's the right age. (FYI) It's a series of books by Dav Pikney or something like that. They are hilarious!
Glad to have talked to you, I really enjoyed remembering some of my teenagers childhood. He starts driving this year! Boo hoo...

sunflowerfreak Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:29am
post #5 of 16

My other grandson is into Captain Underpants. I bought him a whole series of books for Christmas last year. He loves them.

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 5:23am
post #6 of 16

My two boys and the neighbor boys are all into Pokemon. I'll be doing a Pokemon cake this weekend for one of the neighbor kids. I've done two FBCT's of Pokemon for my youngest and they came out okay. This time I'm going to try the pinprick method.
Which Pokemon's does your grandson like?
check out the Pokemon website and click on the link that says POKEDEX then do a search for which ones he likes. You'll catch 'em all on that site.
Good Luck!

sunflowerfreak Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 16

Hi Tweetycup

My grandson likes Blastoise, Lugia, Latias and Jiggleypuff. So I found pics of them on line and copied them into my file. I am going to try the pin prick method on them too. His birthday is July 5th but his party isn't until July 14th. Can you email the picture of your cake when you are done? I would love to see it. Thanks.

Tweetycup Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 16

Sunflowerfreak,
Yes, I'll definitely upload a copy to my "photos" for you to see... wish me luck.

Tweetycup Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 16

Hey sunflowerfreak,

I've uploaded my pics. Oh, I had so much trouble with the pinprick method I was so frustrated that I had to change to the piping gel method - that one worked okay but I wasn't all that happy with it either. Two of the pokemons turned out okay, but the third looks like cr**.

My buttercream wouldn't crust over, so when I tried to "prick" it with my stencil it didn't produce any type of image. I guess I'll try again for the 4th of July cake I'm doing tomorrow.

I hope you have a lot better luck than I did.

my2sunshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2sunshines Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #10 of 16

I just checked them out and they came out excellent, you should be proud!

my2sunshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2sunshines Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 16

I just checked them out and they came out excellent, you should be proud!

Tweetycup Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 16

Thank you my2sunshines!!!

I guess, I just wanted the pinprick method to work that anything less was not what I was hoping for.

I do like the monkey (chimchar) and the bird (murkrow) but not the other one (cranidos).

Good thing, I seem to have the monkey down pat, as the younger brother's birthday is later this month and that's the Pokemon he wants on his cake.

Thanks again my2sunshines! you are to sweet. I LOVE your tagline!

sunflowerfreak Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 16

What are you talking about Tweety. They came out great. I hope mine come out as good as yours.

juro1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juro1234 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 16

I made a pokemon cake for my son one year but I did it the really easy way. I made a sheet cake and made a pokeball in the center then I took all of his little action figures and just stuck them all around the pokeball. It was super easy and he loved it. I will look to see if I have a picture, it was probably about 7 years ago before I had a digital camera.

Tweetycup Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 16

Sunflower,
After looking at your portfolio, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Best of luck to you and I look forward to seeing your pictures!

Juro,
I had thought about that too, but I wanted to see if I could actually make those darn little Pokemon critters. Success came but not in the method I was hoping for.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

sunflowerfreak Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 7:05pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks Tweety. I will post some pics when the cake is done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%