Wondermold..... Help!

Decorating By debsuewoo Updated 18 Aug 2006 , 2:46am by LittleLinda

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 8

I got a Wondermold off of e-bay but it didn't come with the center heating core. I need to make a doll cake for my DD's 7th birthday tomorrow, so here is my question: Can I use tightly rolled aluminum foil in the center? Can I use a metal skewer? Someone please help.... she wants a doll. TIA!

7 replies
patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 8

A skewer would work, the only problem is getting it to stand up. When I made my doll cake (the first one I ever made), I did not know anything about heating cores so of course I did not use one and mine turned out fine. Just bake it low and slow.

bfelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfelt Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 8

Not sure if it will work with the wondermold, but I use a flower nail as a heating core for all my cakes. Just grease and flour the flower nail and turn it upside down in the middle of the pan before you add your batter.

Hope this helps.
Becky

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 8

I think I might be tempted to go to the hardware store - but getting it "clean" would be another story.......

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 8

Do you have a tiny can, like one of those snack size fruit cans or a tomato paste can? They should work. I remember reading on here someone used a veggie can in the middle of a large cake. You would need something smaller with the shape of the wonder mold though.

If push comes to shove if you have a pyrex bowl, make it in that and then core out a spot to stick the doll in.

bunit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunit Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with pilesoflaundry... I have done a doll in my Pampered Chef 8 cup glass batter bowl, without any sort of heating core, and it turned out just fine. As mentioned above, low and slow- It may take a whyle, but any type of oven safe bowl should work- Hope all goes well!!!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 8

I bought one that was missing the screw to hold the core in place. I use it without the core and have never had a problem. I cover up the hole with aluminum foil (so cake batter doesn't leak out) and then use the base.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:46am
post #8 of 8

Seems to me if you can bake a cake in a bowl without a heating core, then you can bake it in the wondermold pan without one. The Wondermold makes a prettier waistline for the doll cakes than a bowl.
I don't think I'd try the foil. I also think a small can would be too large for the wondermold pan. Just try it without a heating core, it's for your own family, what's to lose?

Too bad your e-bay purchase wasn't up to par; I hope you paid a low price including shipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%