Edibleimage Printer

Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 17 Aug 2006 , 8:49pm by pilesoflaundry

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 8

I have read online somewhere that you could just purchase a regular printer and install the special ebile ink. Does anyone know anything about this or could someone direct me into some info? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
chrikky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrikky Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 8

I am very curious about this as well

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 8

Hi. If you go to

www.sugarcraft.com

On the left, scroll down until you see "Photo Cakes"

click on that then find links to Information on that page....It will give you info on different "regular" printers you can use and the appropriate ink cartridges for them.

Raindiddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raindiddy Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 8

I've heard that Cannon and Epson printers are the only ones that offer the edible ink. But don't quote me on that.

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 8

I found a nice one on photofrost.com. They sell the paper, too, which unlike the "wafer paper" it is actually icing. I though that was interesting. I did a search a long time ago on that and I thought it was Cannon or something that sold edible ink. Myabe I did the search on edible ink. Yeah, but you would have to use a printer that has never been used before, and only for the edible ink. But I liked the photo frost system. I am thinking of buying one.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 8

Lisa the Moderater may jump in here..she is an expert on the topic as she has done many!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks Laurel icon_smile.gif

Printing edible images is just like printing any other images only you're using edible inks and edible papers. Right now edible ink cartridges are made to fit certain Canon, Epson and HP printers. Of those, Canon is the best choice for edible imaging for many, very important reasons. You should start with a new Canon printer like the iP3000, iP1500 or MP130 ($50-$100).

If you're interested in purchasing/setting up an edible imaging system, buy your printer first and then your supplies rather than purchasing an edible imaging kit/deal (printer plus supplies). You'll save a lot of money. The kits are usually priced at 3-5x the retail value of the items if you had purchased them separately.

The best kind of edible paper to use is frosting sheets. Wafer paper has its uses but isn't a good choice for putting pictures/images on cakes. I purchase my frosting sheets and edible inks through www.kopykake.com

HTH icon_smile.gif

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 8

No idea on this stuff but wanted to mention get a canon, they are the best printers. Epsons aren't that great for regular paper, I can only imagine they are worse with food stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%