New York Cake Decorators...

Decorating By qtdbklyn Updated 18 Aug 2006 , 1:07pm by Katskakes

qtdbklyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtdbklyn Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 21

Ok, I am stealing Ginnie's post....Where are all the cake decorators in the Big Apple? Please introduce yourselves!

My name is Caryn and I live in borough of Staten Island (originally from Brooklyn) I have only been cake decorating for about 6 months now. I have completed Course 1 & 2. I am really excited to take Course 3 next month, I cant wait to learn fondant.

CC has been so helpful and I look forward to meeting fellow NYers.

20 replies
diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 21

Hi I was about to steal her post too icon_biggrin.gif My name is Sabrina and I am a mother of a little boy Diamond who will be 1 on Friday.... would love to bake him a cake but very tied up icon_cry.gif So we'll be giving him a chucky Cheese party.

I live in Brooklyn New York. i have been playing wih icing since i was 9 and kinda stopped but when i came about cake central i have that itch again.. icon_biggrin.gif I have my first paid cake to do for a baby shower ont he 26 and i will have a picture up finally. I have never taken a course but i'm very creative and can do anything just by reading a book and following tutorials icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

come on new yorkers how many of you out there on the CC family. love you guys..... thumbs_up.gif

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 21

Hi,

I'm a New Yorker (born and raised). I have been decorating for about one year now and an IN LOVE with it. It is my passion. I tried this thread before and no too many people here are from NY. I live in Queens New York and I work in the city. Nice to see my fellow yorkers up here.

qtdbklyn Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 21

Ok, we have 3 out of the 5 Boroughs here .....anyone from the Bronx or Manhattan?!!!!!!!!!!!!

gabywany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabywany Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 21

Hi,

My name is Wanda and I am from the Bronx. I have been taking some courses, but in Dominican cake decorating which is quite different because the frosting is made out of meringue and I have a bit of difficulty with that.

I have been considering taking Wilton courses and will see how they go about.

Happy to hear from a few New Yorkers.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 21

Well, I grew up in The City (Manhattan) -- 3rd and C -- then lived in Little Neck for a while, but now live in PA. I come up to the City all the time for seminars, classes, and to shop at supply stores. I've been decorating almost 2 years, after taking Wilton 1-3. Vicki from Long Beach and I just finished the 3-Saturday course on sugarpaste flowers with Ron Ben-Israel at the French Culinary Institute. We learned a lot from him and his assistants, and had a great time while there.

Anyone want to do lunch some time?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

diamondsmom Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 21

Sure why not we can all meet one of these good old days. thumbs_up.gif it's a small world afterall icon_wink.gif

diamondsmom

GenesisCakes Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 21

sounds good to me!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 21

GenesisCakes - Should I say "here we go again LOL"

Hi guys,

I am from Brooklyn, married with 3 kids, I have been decorating for 2 years now. Always had a love for the craft from since I was a little girl. My Aunt was a professional cake decorator, and I loved to watch her.

I took Wilton's course 1,2 & 3 two years ago and One of Scoot Clark Wooley classes. Notice I said ONE. He is excellent but EXPENSIVE. I also went to the ICES convention for the past two years. I would really love to have my own business one day.

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 21

I have an All-Access card for the Hard Rock Cafe, which will get me priority seating for up to 20 people, so the first 19 who PM me and let me know that they are available to meet in October, either the 28 or 29, or November 4 or 5, are in. How about 1 or 2 PM?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

diamondsmom Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 21

Not a lot of New Yorkers here..... That's cool still.... we should open a huge business and practice all what we learn here at CC. bet you we'll be huge hit.

i don't know if anyone finds this but some newyorkers like the redidone stuff and will just pick up a cake at the bakery at pathmark or BJ's or costco .... maybe i could be wrong icon_rolleyes.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 21

It's still early. I'll bet at least a dozen more are still at work, and will post after business hours.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GenesisCakes Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 21

TwinDees and I once met up for cupcakes. It was really nice. but I agree there is not too many new yorkers on CC.

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 21

as far as customers picking up cakes at wholesale/supermarkets, that's the way it is all over. but like Twindees says in her signature, "good cakes aren't cheap, and cheap cakes aren't good" I like that saying so much, I am going to add it to my business card.

I hear the whining all the time from potential customers, about the price of my cakes. Even after I describe what they get from the markets, compared to what they get from an independent bakery, they still whine about the price.

I do not discount my prices, which means that I do not have a lot of customers. I offer quality, scratch baking, which has testimony from friends and family to prove the quality of my product. If they do not want to pay the price, that's fine. They are more than welcome to eat the preservative-laden products offered by discounters.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

qtdbklyn Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 21

Whoo hoo...I knew my New Yawk-a's were out there!!

I would love to meet everyone...if its a lunch during the week in the city, i can do almost any day...I'll just tell my office I have to meet a client!!

Lets see what day works best for all !

diamondsmom Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:59pm
post #16 of 21

icon_lol.gif let's hope your boss don't see you wining and dining in Manhattan. Now that will suck icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

qtdbklyn Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 21

Ummm, yeahhhh...I could always tell her that I am interviewing cake decorators because I wanted to surprize her with a life size cake of herself, lol icon_lol.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 21

NY here but a "country girl"..I live about 60 miles north of the city...I take the Jersey line into Hoboken and then the PATH into Manhattan.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 8:42pm
post #19 of 21

Hi All,

I live in NJ, i work in Manhattan. I used to live in bklyn for many years, then in Staten Island...now in NJ.
I started decorating just a year ago, i took to wilton classes at Micheals.
I'm a single mom of 3 kids, and between work and home...cake time is very limited.
I just thought i'd share some stores i have found in NY.
bklyn - Kerekes
Queens - Sugar Room
Manhattan - NYCake

they all have websites, i have been able to find little things here and there.

qtdbklyn Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 12:08pm
post #20 of 21

Kat, it seems like you made the typical Brooklyn girl move...over the bridge to SI and then out to NJ, lol icon_lol.gif ...I am currently on step #2 !

Thanks for the store suggestions...I was hoping you had one for SI, as I havent found any there yet.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 1:07pm
post #21 of 21

qtdqueen,

my whole family did that. little by little ones before the others, we all moved to NJ. i like the peace and quiet compare to where i used to live in bklyn. in SI it was pretty quiet too.

I still haven't found anything in SI. i'll look and keep you in mind. i have found those places by searching online. In SI i'd prolly hit Michaels and ACmoore. which i do a lot in NJ too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%