Buttercream Icing On An Ice Cream Cake?

Decorating By UGoCakes Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 4:30pm by dezzib27

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 6

This is a new thread to follow up on my "coloring whipped icing" thread. I got great input but now I am concerned the whipped icing may not be the way to go due to bleeding color. So, I now ask everyone will buttercream work on an ice cream cake or do you recommend something else?

Will the BC freeze/thaw OK, has anyone experienced problems with this combo?

Help, my son really wants an ice cream cake for his b-day and this will be my first.

5 replies
dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:19am
post #2 of 6

I just made an icecream graduation cake with buttercream icing and it turned out great. I had to put it back in the freezer a few time tho!

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 2:32am
post #3 of 6

thanks, dezzib27 for your feedback. Did the BC hold up OK with the freezing and thawing? How long did it take to thaw before you could serve it?

Anybody else have any experience with this - good or bad?

SweetObsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetObsession Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:34am
post #4 of 6

Have you considered using BC for any colors on the whipped icing? I recently made a cake with whipped (Rich's) and used BC for the colored details (medium blue, yellow, dark green). We cut it the following day with no bleeding. Of course I'm less experienced than most here, so take my limited experience into consideration icon_wink.gif .

krystalp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystalp Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:59am
post #5 of 6

I have made several ice cream cakes. In my pics, the barbie, strawberry shortcake, castle, dinosaur/volcano, and the sports ball cakes are all ice cream cakes. I used the stabilized whipped cream to decorate them. For the castle I used buttercream for the stones. and for the dino cake I used buttercream for all the greenery. Had no problems. You just have to keep running it to the freezer to set like all the time.
HTH
Krystal

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 6

I'm sorry I wasn't there when they cut the cake, but they said there were no problems. I am pretty sure if defrosts pretty quickly as I had to keep running it to the freezer!!! Hope this helps!

P.S.
It was my first icecream cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%