Men.... Husbands....and Their Mothers

Lounge By lilthorner Updated 10 Sep 2006 , 9:09am by debsuewoo

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 12:03am
post #1 of 15

i have never made a german choc cake before (not my fav with nuts and coconut). it is DH's favorite.. NOW there has never been anything i baked that he hasnt liked and I am a far better cake baker than his mom. ( i love her and she can cook and bake but she doesnt even really fool with cakes) she always makes him a GC cake for his birthday

so i ask nate if he wanted cake for his birthday tomorrow and he says german chocolate. so i call his mom and ask which recipe she uses (in package of german chocolate bar)

later on he has the AUDACITY to ask me "are u gonna make it like my momma makes it?" and starts laughing.

I got a little irritated and said well i have the recipe she uses but i can call her and have her make it for you if you'd like, becasue I am not laughing.

what I wanted to say is PUHLEASE any cake i bake will run circles around any she bakes! but I didn't LOL

icon_eek.gif

14 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 12:14am
post #2 of 15

Don't even get me started!!!! I absolultely refuse to make biscuits for my husband because every recipe that I have tried is not as good as his mom's. I've tasted his mom's cooking - it's terrible. For Thanksgiving she puts the turkey in and cooks it overnight. She then lets it sit out all day before reheating again in the oven for dinner. She does the same with the Christmas ham. I have Thanksgiving at my house every year and invite them and then we go to there house on the day after for the weekend. Don't event get me started on her sanitary habits!!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 12:31am
post #3 of 15

I guess I'm just the opposite-I love making something for dh that comes out the way he remembers having it when he was little/younger. Maybe it makes a difference that I'm making recipes his grandmas used and not the mom. And he is very appreciative of my cooking/baking. I love his mom but I know I'm lucky and that not everyone has a great mil like mine (she minds her own business icon_lol.gif )!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 3:31am
post #4 of 15

I love my MIL, she was a baker in Poland at 12. She is an amazing cook and woman (even though at times she gets under my skin). She would never show me how to do something or share recipes ( like marie barone from everybody loves raymond) But now that I've learned A LOT more my husband says I have surpassed her. She tells people how proud she is of me and askes me for advice and recipes now. Coming from her this is a big compliment...she only likes her cooking and just like my husband refuses to eat something unless she sees how it's cooked or knows the persons sanitary standards.

I'd not make the cake for your hubby but hand him a box mix and tell him to have at it after a comment like that. Some people are just use to the stuff they grew up with, even if it's slop.

makincakeintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makincakeintx Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 3:45am
post #5 of 15

It is often not the product itself but the memory it evokes. Make him a cake as you will and whatever his comments are tell him you tried to match his mothers but this is just how yours came out and don't be hurt if he still likes his mothers best (even if yours is definately better and we know it will be). Here in this family nobody cooks like your mother. My mother made the best burned toast on this planet... I can smell it now... oh how I wish she could make it for me just one more time. It's often about a memory..

lilthorner Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:43am
post #6 of 15

i wasnt really mad (steaming) at the comment it was more of a oh no u didnt say that! I am definately making him a cake (the recipe is on the back of the candy its not like a family secret or anything)

and I do love my MIL to death (one of the few people who loves their MIL, i know) I was just kinda taken aback becasue we (him, me and his mom) talk about how good my baking is.. AND we tease my hubby about being a mama's boy. which is fine with me too, because he respects any woman and is teaching my son the same... (who at 3 is a BiG MAMA's boy, and grammas and great gramma's boy.. LOL

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 4:52am
post #7 of 15

I told my hubby when we got married that if I hear that it's not how his momma does it then he can go back home to momma....lol. I was serious and he knew it. I do talk to her and ask her how she fixes things but my hubby says he prefers my cooking over hers any day.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 10:36am
post #8 of 15

I don't know if you have kids, but if you can through all this , yours will someday be the same with you. Your momma....is your momma, its not a competition, you both love him, just not the same way. What is the saying,a son is a son until he takes a wife, your daughter is your daughter for the rest of your life.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 1:39am
post #9 of 15

just thought i'd say, I posted yesterday in a really bad mood since hubby made me mad. I was anti-hubby at the moment. Was going to say make him a cake and make it fabulous. Have to correct the error of my ways. sorry. ps. DH said sorry and now all is well.

lilthorner Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 5:30am
post #10 of 15

I made the cake.. its not perfect but thats what makes it look hommemade. german chocolate takes alot of time and I just told him that I hoped it was good, becasue I took alot of time for it.

soooooooo he will be eating a piece soon (its 10:30pm here, we just got in from dinner)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 11:45am
post #11 of 15

Don't y'all find it ironic that our mothers spend the first 18 years or so of our lives teaching us how to cook and bake ..... just so we can get married and be told we have to learn how to do it HIS mother's way? icon_confused.gif

My mother was a terrible cook. She heard once that southern cooks put a pinch of sugar in things. Well if a pinch is good, then a cup must be better! no kidding, I grew up thinking EVERYBODY put 4 tablespoons of sugar on top of their spaghetti! (dont' ask me how I survived! I've no idea!). She even put sugar in our salad once "to take the tartness out of the italian dressing". Oh. My. God.

I have the best mother-in-law but she gets on kicks on trying weird foods. But she makes the best homemade bread-n-butter pickles in the world! And she won't share the recipe! icon_cry.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:21pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Don't y'all find it ironic that our mothers spend the first 18 years or so of our lives teaching us how to cook and bake ..... just so we can get married and be told we have to learn how to do it HIS mother's way? icon_confused.gif

SO true. Especially when she thinks you do it wrong. My MIL is a good cook if she has a recipe and it drives her nuts that I make anything without looking at the recipe or not measuring exactly.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 15

Mens mothers.........well all men are little boys inside (IMHO) and noone will really ever compare to what they love most about their mother, but they should be smart enough not to open their mouth!!!!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 15

Men never grow up, their toys just get bigger! icon_wink.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 9:09am
post #15 of 15

My MIL p[assed away a couple of years ago, but all of the DIL's adored her.

When I got married, I actually asked her for recipes that the DH liked, and believe it or not, I was the first to do so! She made a swiss cheese meat loaf that DH is wild for. Reminds me, he's been asking for one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%