Will Someone Pull The Knife Out Of My Back? :)

Business By cakesbyamym Updated 18 Aug 2006 , 2:48pm by IamSusie

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 42

Out of the orders that I took yesterday, I had a lady to call back and cancel her order. Cancelling is fine. I don't have a problem with someone changing their mind, but when I am told, "My husband told me that I had to cancel my order, because $24 is crazy to pay for a 1/4 sheet cake." icon_eek.gif That hurts! It's not a basic sheet cake...it was with an edible image. She further stated that he "told her to go to a REAL bakery like WalMart and get the same cake cheaper." It's fine that HE told YOU this, but did you have to tell ME? LOL. Okay, chalk it up to another unique customer giving his "unique" opinion... Now that I'm feeling completely self-conscious...IS $24 TOO much for a 1/4 sheet with edible image? I'd pay that personally if I were in the market for a cake... Anyway... icon_cry.gif

Amy

41 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 42

no, not too expensive.

I bet by the time they add cost of edible image to a Walmart cake, it's going to be close to that $24.

the husband is just totally clueless and a cheapskate too.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 42

In no way is $24 too much, they want $28 at a SaveMart bakery here in my town. That husband is in for a surprise.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 42

I agree... what a dufus! I am personally happy when cheapskates take their business elsewhere... How in the world they can compare our cakes to Wal-Mart bakery is beyond me!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 42

People kill me when they want to pay cheap prices for cake! Granted up until I became a stay at home mom I always bought the birthday cakes, but I would go to a local bakery (only 3 or 4 locations in the city) and pay close to $50-$60 bucks for a half sheet cake! No walmart cakes here!!! I wanted to try to get the best for not being "homemade". Your pricing is not too expensive! I would actually charge a tad more especially since you are/were including the edible image. icon_wink.gif

Let them go to walmart, when they eat the cake they will realize what they missed by canceling on you!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 42

I think at one time or another we all struggle with this issue. But don't let it bother you, because there are plenty of people out there who appreciate and value a good (and well decorated) cake! Let them eat Wal-mart cake...that's all their opinion is worth any way! Keep bakin' girl!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 42

Amy...I'm sorry, but you cracked me up with your post...I know its not funny, but I was laughing because of the way you said it. I think she was just trying to get you to lower your price.

Honestly $24 is not too much at all...its pretty much the average for 1/4 sheet...I believe the quarter sheet at my walmart is like $16 & then maybe $20-$21 if you add the edible image.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 42

Don't worry about it let them have Walmart cake. I was at a party over the weekend and the cake was so horrible. Even my husband said people were trying not see the cake get thrown in the trash. Everyone took a bite and then left the area. She paid over $50 for a cake with a butterfly drawn with gel. I made cake before for her and everyone ate they wanted seconds but she did not want to pay what I wanted. See what happens. If she calls back becuase they changed they mind say someone else took her spot and paid an extra $10 for short notice. That will teach her.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 42

My 1/4 sheet cake unfilled is $28 and edible image is $5 extra. My 1/4 sheet cake with filling is $38 and still extra for the image. She was getting a bargain!!!

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 42

I feel your pain. I've been passed up I don't know how many times because people are cheap lol. I just keep telling myself not to back down.

The latest was a bridal shower cake to serve 60. I offered a 1/2 sheet cake for $45, a two tier for $50 or a Doll cake on top of a larger cake for $60. This was all for basic decorations (like you'd get at a "real" baker like walmart) and told them the price wouldn't go up more than $15 more for more decorations.

This was through a friend, and I asked my friend if she told the girl the prices and she said "yeah, she said she's just going to get one from the grocery store". Well have at it. Cuz I'm sure she'll pay at least $40 for a dry, sloppy decorated, nothin special chocolate or vanilla cake. Yum yum lol

This is the same friend who wanted to know wedding cake prices for her step mom. When I told her $2.00/slice, she said "well what about cupcakes?" Ummm why do people think cupcakes would be cheaper when there's more to decorate? lol

CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 42

I think there are people that really don't care what it tastes like. They want cheapo cake and thats it! I really love Costco cake so that is what I used to get for my kids birthdays before I started decorating but Save-Mart cakes are dreadful! They are so dry and bland and just plain yukky.

Most all grocery stores cakes are pretty bad so why does everyone keep buying them?

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 42

I'm sorry to hear that she cancelled the order. A cake store around my area sells the images for $10.00. Some people want the cake for $14.00. Sorry, making cakes is too much work to "work for peanuts" in payment.

Maybe, one day these people will understand how much a cake is worth!

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 42

$24.00 for a 1/4 sheet cake is definitely not too much. I charge $30.00 for a 1/4 with an edible image and if the work is detailed it could be $45.00. Customers must learn to appreciate the time, cost and dedication that we put into our work. Otherwise they deserve Walmart's frozen delights!

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 42

Thanks everyone. I've officially gotten my self-esteem back. I hope that their "cheap" cake from Walmart is dry as a bone, and the image bleeds all over the icing... Okay, NOT really. LOL. icon_lol.gif Funny, but right after posting this, I took a cake order from a lady that wanted a 1/2 sheet with edible image, and was overjoyed at my price for that. So, pbbt! on Walmart and that hubby who's probably never even darkened the door of a grocery store, much less a REAL bakery. tapedshut.gif Okay, now I'm TOO fiesty. Time to keep my mouth closed... LOL.

Thanks again! You guys are awesome!!! Let's hear it for Walmart! LOL...

Amy

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 42

I feel your pain. I hate when I spend hours thinking/looking on CC for multiple cool ideas for someone's special occasion only to be told that they think I'm too high. Well, if you want Walmart sheet cake prices JUST GO TO WALMART and stop wasting my time!!! ARGHHH Amy, you're better off without her order anyhow!

lilica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilica Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:16pm
post #16 of 42

I'm laughing so hard!!! If he thinks Walt- Mart has a real bakery, he obviously has no idea about quality cakes! don't let that bother you! your price is very fair

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:19pm
post #17 of 42

I would not have the patience for someone like that. My minimum price is $25.00 and my 1/4 sheet is $56.00. I would tell people like that that I specialize in "custom designed" cakes not "basic grocery store cakes". If they want a grocery store cake, don't come to me.
Jacqui

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:20pm
post #18 of 42

my quarter sheet cakes start at $45...add an edible image, add $10

so that would have been $55....this lady, and her husband, have a few loose screws if u ask me!

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:23pm
post #19 of 42

I feel bad for the uninformed shopper who purchases a cake from a supermarket bakery trying to save a buck. I worked in the a supermarket bakery and I hated it. The cakes came in frozen, icing was premade and the decorated cakes were unoriginal. They empasize quantity over quality.

CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:25pm
post #20 of 42

You know, I have been a little baffled at the whole "wal-mart' reference because my wal-mart has a cake decorating section but doesn't actually sell cake.... and then I realized you all are talking about Super Wal-Mart!

I am so jealous, I swear if there was a super wal-mart here I would be there all the time ( not to buy cake, of course icon_biggrin.gif )

They have tried several times to put one in and the other businesses keep blocking it.... I dream of being able to buy socks and sour cream at the same location icon_twisted.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:29pm
post #21 of 42

Ditto on what lilica said! walmart, a "real" bakery? This guy probably thinks going INSIDE to eat at McDonald's is a BIG night on the town! I also thought it was funny that the woman didn't seem to have her own opinion. "My husband said ....... " it costs too much. "My husband said ..... " go to a real bakery. If her husband said to jump off a bridge, would she? hahahaha!

Sometimes, you just have to laugh to get thru the day! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:32pm
post #22 of 42

Well, if she was just trying to get her to drop her price she may have been using the " My husband said..." as an excuse.

Botanesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Botanesis Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:32pm
post #23 of 42

Ok...here's a little secret you can tell people anytime they compare you to WALMART. First of all, I work as a cake decorator at Walmart. Second of all...they don't bake their own cakes. The main bakery in Arkansas bakes them and freezes them. Then off to the main freezer they sit...and sit...and sit...just waiting for one of the Walmart stores to order them. We order our cakes by the pallet, so they sit even more in our freezer once we get them.

Those cakes are not fresh. Yours are. Your's is homemade, their's is mass produced. You probably use the best ingrediants you can find....they use whatever they can get at the cheapest price possible.

Furthermore....I just did a wedding cake there last night. I like to call it "wedding cake in a box". All the layers are packed into one little box. We mark every box with the date of arrival, so we know just how long it's been in OUR freezer (not counting how long it was in THEIR freezer). Get this....the cake I made last night was dated SEPTEMBER 8th, 2005. YUMMY, huh?

All I have to say is you get what you pay for.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:34pm
post #24 of 42

See? It all worked out, and had you not 'lost' (did you really lose anything?) that cake, you might have been too busy to do the better one!
You go girl! thumbs_up.gif

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:36pm
post #25 of 42

I tell everyone my MINIMUM charge is $35. This is what I feel its worth to get started and take time away from my family. Even though I love this hobby, if people seek you out thru word-of-mouth (which is all mine is), then they should know they are getting their money's worth. In my opinion, if you only have that one cake order for this particular day/week, isn't it really worth MORE to you to get out the mixer. I hate waiting for the butter to come to room temp, so that frustration is added to my minimum! LOL Seriously, I think we can all admit that the WalMart cakes aren't that terrible, but keep in mind they are making their money selling things in volume. If we could all turn out 45 generic cakes a day with a balloons that equaled approx. 2 cups of frosting and semi-sloppy generic writing, I think we might do it. But what about the other aspects of your life. I agree - she didn't have to be so obnoxious, and maybe her DH really didn't say that - she just used him as an excuse. She got your name from somewhere, right? Why do you think someone referred her if they knew she was so cheap? LOL

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:42pm
post #26 of 42

I am new to decorating cakes, and never really want to sell them....I mean yeah if i get paid a bit for a family baby shower or something cool...but mostly I wanted to make cute cakes for my kids b-day parties...but I do have another side to the story..with me being a new stay-at-home mom (thus our household is down about 40% of the income we used to have--yes I know it was my choice) money is tight, and I have been known to complain about the price of GROCERY STORE CAKES! Around here you cannot get one less than $30...and for this stay-at-home Mom that is quite a bit when I am planning a b-day party or a baby shower...I just dont have hundreds of dollars for the "perfect" party and then gifts on top of that.

I know its insulting to cake decorators because even so far with the little I have done I know how much work (and love) goes into each and every one of them! That said unless you have done it....you dont understand that...and with the prices of everything going up and up and up (am I the only one who now has to park the SUV and drive the CIVIC whenever I am going anywhere over 10 miles?) I think people are having to trim the fat where they can....and the right thing to do is send them to the grocery store...yes it wont be as nice, but maybe that is what they can AFFORD. Sorry this is so long...but since this is the first time in my life where money is tighter, i have a whole new perspective.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:48pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I dream of being able to buy socks and sour cream at the same location icon_twisted.gif

This was one of the best quotes I've read in a long time!!! LOL

That husband was a doofus. For every doofus you get though, there will be one that says, "we just cancelled our order with the grocery store because somebody told us yours are so much better and more original!" Don't let one bonehead get you down!! If they want that cake, they don't need to be customers of yours!

Botanesis-September 2005??!! EEEWWWW!!!

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:01pm
post #28 of 42

For a 1/4 sheet, you gave her a bargain. Fuggedibouit!!! Let her get a crappy cake elsewhere. And if you can, save her phone number in your records as something along the lines of "cheapo customer" so if she calls back, you know not to deal with her!

cake2decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake2decorate Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:03pm
post #29 of 42

Honestly, you are probably better off not doing a cake for that customer...even if the cake was perfect-they would find something to complain about! I get $30 for a single-layer basic sheet cake, all extras must be added to that price. The last cake I did was a 1/4 sheet with 1/2 of the cake yellow with strawberry filling and the other half with choc./choc. fudge filling covered in BC to match the party decorations; I charged $60 and the custmer thought they got a bargain! Last year the cake my customer bought at Walmart was so bad-they returned it! Ask Walmart to do a specialty cake and see what they tell you?? If you want frozen cakes and icing out of a can, go to the supermarket-they will fix you up thumbs_up.gif I don't work for free, does your customer get paid for the job they do every day?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:10pm
post #30 of 42

I've only sold a couple cakes but the last one was a 1/4 sheet for $35.
I live in a rural area and the grocery store charges $20 for a cake that size. It's not worth it to go too low.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%