Melvira--Had A Request For Your "method"

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 3:38pm by Melvira

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 18

I thought you would like to hear your really are famous! I had a request for a cake and sent them to this website to get ideas and they found the tutorial for the Melvira Method for smooth icing. They requested I use it--which I do. Thought you would like that!

17 replies
Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 18

lol.

JulieR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieR Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 18

I accidentally stumbled on to this site because I was searching for a way to get my icing smooth and the Google search pulled up the Melvira method tutorial. I wonder how many other folks Melvira has pulled in!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 18

OMG Birdgirl and Julie!! Both of those things make me feel SO good! It wasn't my intention when I initially shared this idea, but I have gotten a bit of 'press' so to speak! Everyone has been so wondeful! Thanks again for the ego boost!

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:26am
post #5 of 18

I just had to say I tried your method this past weekend for the first time and it was awesome thumbs_up.gif Never had a smoother cake in my life! icon_biggrin.gif

winjobit77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winjobit77 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:11am
post #6 of 18

oooo, guys i'm so happy to see Melvira on here. I have a question about your method... i went to Lowe's looking for a high density roller.. even asked employee's... They all looked at me like i was a litte nuts.. so i'm just wondering what they look like? Where they could be found?

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:20am
post #7 of 18

Oh, me too.... Where do I get that special roller?? I've been wanting to try Melvira's method...

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:27am
post #8 of 18

I just found myself a foam roller...actually at Wal-mart!

I love this method too! Thanks Melvira!

Melvira Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:31am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by winjobit77

oooo, guys i'm so happy to see Melvira on here. I have a question about your method... i went to Lowe's looking for a high density roller.. even asked employee's... They all looked at me like i was a litte nuts.. so i'm just wondering what they look like? Where they could be found?

Hehehehe... sometimes it kills me when these 'pros' have no clue! No offense... please no one come on here and say "I work at Lowe's you ungrateful *$^!!!" icon_lol.gif

But seriously, in the tutorial there is a picture of the roller itself so that you know what it should look like. If you have trouble finding it, tell them you need a 'trim roller' with a high density foam pad refill. If they still don't 'get it' try a paint store. They are just trim rollers. They are different than regular paint rollers simply because they are skinnier. Only about an inch across rather than the 2.5" or 3" of a 'normal' paint roller! If you have any further questions, don't be afraid to PM me. I am always here to help!! Good luck!

Melvira Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:35am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I just found myself a foam roller...actually at Wal-mart!

I love this method too! Thanks Melvira!

One warning, the rollers at Wal-Mart tend to come with a yellow foam head, the lower density version. You may not be happy with the results. Try to find the white refill heads which are the high density. icon_wink.gif Glad you guys are diggin' it! icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:39am
post #11 of 18

OH! I don't know about where I got mine then! Mine is white...and it's high density!

Melvira Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:48am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

OH! I don't know about where I got mine then! Mine is white...and it's high density!

Ok GOOD!! I just wanted to be sure to mention it because a couple people in the past have PM'ed me because it didn't work for them, and we finally figured out they were using the wrong foam head and it was leaving a spackly texture instead of a smooth one! Once they got the right head it worked wonderfully!

Queenbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queenbaker Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:12am
post #13 of 18

I just bought a 6 inch HDF roller at Home Depot. They had them in all sizes. I think the 6 in. ran $4.97. And refills were about the same price for 4 of them

carol

JulieR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieR Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:40am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by winjobit77

I had the same thing happen at Lowe's. They had no clue what a "high-density" roller was. If I had realized that they wouldn't know I would have printed out a picture of the roller from the tutorial. We finally did find it, and the guy asked me what I wanted to do with it. I hesitantly told him I wanted to use it for smoothing cake icing. I was expecting him to scoff, but I think he was impressed that he had learned something that no one else in the store knew!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:53am
post #15 of 18

I had to buy 6, 4, and 2" rollers (yes I really am a shopoholic, especially for cake toys..... I just cant help it!!). The lady at Lowes looked like she wanted to buy one herself and try it!
I always think is funny when Im buying something at the hardware store and someone asks what it is for.... the look on their face is priceless. icon_biggrin.gif

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:18am
post #16 of 18

I have to say I am a big fan of your method.. I usually tell people they have to have fondant if they want smooth, but now I can give them options.... The cake I made 2 weeks ago was nice and smooth.... (sorry no pictures I have a mac and it doesn't upload them right.) Thanks Melvira!!! You ROCK!

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:39am
post #17 of 18

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I am new to all this. What is the Method?

Melvira Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:38pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesOnly

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I am new to all this. What is the Method?

On the home page if you scroll down there is a list of tutorials. Go to the one that says "Quick and Easy smooth icing using a roller (Melvira Method)" You can also do a search for "Melvira Method" and it will give you several threads that have more information, and where I have answered specific questions, etc. It's cool... it works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%