What Do You Call

Decorating By babygreen Updated 17 Aug 2006 , 1:06pm by charlieinMO

babygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygreen Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 16

...those things that stick out of the cake that look like lollypop sticks with different phrases on them...and more important how do i make them???

15 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 16

Not sure what you are asking about. Is it the banners that they make out of gumpaste and add to the cookie sticks? Here is a bump for ya! I'm sure someone can help

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 16

Do you happen to have a pic of it?

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 16

Could it be royal icing words stuck to a cookie stick?

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 16

I think the plastic ones are called picks. Maybe you can make some from gumpaste, cookies or some kind of color transfer....? Not quite sure what you mean.

babygreen Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 16

this is a link to an example of what i'm talking about...sorry i seem to be at a loss for words today.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_display_8_-56953.html

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 16

I've only done that style once, and used garden wire. It was a thicker gauge, and was coated/painted green. Luckily, green matched my color scheme. I've also seen people use the silver wire! HTH! icon_smile.gif

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 16

I'm making some of those tomorrow night. I bought floral wire and will make the cut outs out of marshmallow fondant with gumtex so they dry hard

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 16

That particular cake you exampled looks like florist wire to me with fondant cut-outs. You basically cut out (2) of the fondant with a cookie or fondant cutter, or something that will give you the shape you're going for, put the florist wire in between & let dry. (I add gumtex to my fondant to harden). Then you can put sprinkles or decorate them how you wish. I have also seen them with lollipop sticks but those will not bend like florist wire will.

HTH some.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 16

I'm thinking of doing this for my girls' birthday cake. Do you stick the floral wire/silver wire directly into the cake? Or do you wrap with something food safe?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

babygreen Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 16

oh thank you so much!!!

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 16

mvucic- I read a GREAT tip here on CC (I'm pretty sure it was from Boween) about sticking the wire into the cake. BOWEEN- if you're reading this- correct me if I'm wrong... I think she hallowed out a little bit of the middle of the top layer of the cake. She then inserted a little bit of styrofoam, iced over the styrofoam, then inserted the wire decorations into the styrofoam. Now, I *thought* I could skip the styrofoam step, and just stick them straight into the cake...? NOPE! Once they get heavy enough, they start falling and slicing right through your nice, smooth icing. Not good. I highly recommend the styrofoam method! Thanks, Boween! icon_smile.gif

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 16

I stuck mine directly into the cake. I bought precovered florist wire.

Your welcome, babygreen.

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 16

I wash mine lightly with a dishsoap moistened sponge and dry with a dish cloth then put into the cake. If your ornament will have much weight at all, though, I would recommend the styrofoam (which I am thrilled to learn about - thank you MJs Mom and Boween).

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 11:00pm
post #15 of 16

I heard of using cut pieces of straws. Fill them with a little fondant, then insert them into your cake. Put the wire into the fondant filled straw. Just another idea...

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 1:06pm
post #16 of 16

Kello, that sounds like a great idea!! Would like to try that soon! Thanks for sharing. (everyone!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%