Slagroomtaart

Baking By TiggerWazzu Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 6:46pm by Tartacadabra

TiggerWazzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiggerWazzu Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:18am
post #1 of 13

OK. I know this is a long shot, but... I recently went to Holland and they have this fabulous cream covered cake called a slagroomtaart. It's evidently THE cake in Amsterdam and I loved it. I have searched all over the internet and can only find recipes for it in, you guessed it, Dutch! Any ex-patriots out there know how to make it and can tell me in English?

Much appreciate it!
Mary

12 replies
Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:55am
post #2 of 13

If you can't find anyone Dutch, I'll give it a try - we speak Afrikaans which is derived from Dutch, so many words are similair.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:38am
post #3 of 13

Hi I am Dutch icon_wink.gif so yeah the slagroomtaart I know but I hardly make it. Basically it is a recipe for the cake that you use for cakes without any butter, just eggs, sugar and flour in it. And on top and in between the whipped cream, lots of them icon_wink.gif You can add jam in between of pudding with fruit of whatever you like, maybe if you give a "detailed" pic of what you tasted I probablly can say what the cake had in between the layers.

And of course I can translate a recipe for you! I have to be honest that for the whole thing I haven't one myself (I don't really like whipped cream, yeah I know, this sounds really strange... icon_biggrin.gif )

Just let me know!

Lara

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:47am
post #4 of 13

Sounds like a very interesting cake, will you post after you translate? Thanks! Always wanting to try something different, DH loves the adventurous side of me, lol icon_lol.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:15am
post #5 of 13

I will be watching for this recipe also.....a type of sponge cake I am thinking. I used to live near Pella, Iowa where they have a Dutch settlement. I used to go to the bakery and get the pastries. I never saw this cake though.

TiggerWazzu Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:01am
post #6 of 13

OK. I can't seem to paste a copy of the picture here in my post, but if you go to answers.com and search for slagroomtaart they have a beautiful picture of it. My aunt told me the crushed up yummies on the outside are almonds, so I'm good with that although it seemed more like crushed up cookies to me at the time... Otherwise, I think it's just a white cake with a stabilized whipped cream icing and filling and topped with fruit. Does that sound right? I didn't realize it didn't have any butter in the cake. I guess I couldn't tell with all the cream... If anyone can find a recipe and translate it I would be eternally grateful. And I just got a scale for my birthday, so if the measurements are in metric, I can cope! I have a friend with Dutch roots having a birthday in August and it would be amazing to get to make this for her.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am constantly rewarded for belonging to this community.

Mary

Tartacadabra Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 13

Hi Mary, here it comes:
5 eggs
150 grammes (5.35 ounces) of sugar
125 grammes (4.46 ounces) of flour (no selfraising)
25 grammes ( 1ounce) of cornstarch
little bag of vanille-sugar (or some extract)
a pinch of salt

Make sure the eggs are at roomtemperature (otherwise leave them in a bowl with hot water for about 10 minutes), that is very important because they have to rise a lot. Put the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and mix for about 10 minutes, it has to become a real fluffy thick cream. Then (do not mix!!) add the flour and cornstarch, gently fold it in.
Make sure your baking pan (10 ") is greased (some parchment paper on the bottom works the best). Put the batter in and bake for about 35-45 minutes at
350 Fahrenheit. After 35 minutes test with a stick, if it comes out clean, it's done. Leave the cake to cool on a rack, don't leave it in the pan (only for about 10 minutes to let it cool down a bit, otherwise it cracks really easy).

For the filling, you could use jam inside and a second layer on the jam of whipped cream. You could also use whipped cream with pieces of mandarin from a can. On top also lots of whipped cream icon_wink.gif and add some fruit and chocolate decoration. On the sides we put or toasted almond slices or hazelnut pieces that are toasted with some sugar (that crunchy stuff, maybe you could buy that overthere, we get it out of the shops icon_wink.gif.
Another thing is that normally we put a bit of mandarin syrup (the juice from the can) on the layer before filling it, or some Cointreau or stuff like that.

If you want to make this cake, you can freeze it really well, it only becomes better of taste. If you want to decorate it right away, make the cake at least the evening before.

Good luck with your slagroomtaart!! icon_biggrin.gif

Greetings from Amsterdam (no, no slagroomtaart right now icon_wink.gif )

Lara

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 13

Hey Lara

Where in holland do you live?
I am visiting my family right now..

Ps I need to try that cake..another thing added to my list to try icon_razz.gif

Tartacadabra Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 13

I live in Amsterdam (where the airplane lands icon_wink.gif ). Where are you right now?
If you need anything orso, just let me know (you could PM me if you want).
Hope you enjoy your stay in Holland, despite the horrible weather icon_sad.gif, I am really sorry for you about that, no tulips, only rain... icon_wink.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 13

Don't forget the wind Lara, or maybe that's just us by the coast? It's been blowing a gale here in The Hague for days!

Tartacadabra Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Don't forget the wind Lara, or maybe that's just us by the coast? It's been blowing a gale here in The Hague for days!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
Yes it was awful, here it is more quiet than at the coast I guess but my brother is a skipper of a large sailing ship and said it really spooked icon_wink.gif out there on the Waddenzee.

Hopefully it will get better soon, my husband is in Spain right now, really, really good weather ofcourse..... and I am here icon_confused.gificon_sad.gif

Greetings,
Lara

TiggerWazzu Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 13

Tartacadabra, you rock! Thank you so, so much. I will certainly give it a try. And now, for perhaps a silly question, am I correct in that I need to stabilize the whipped cream somehow? If I can't get the whole cake eaten right after adding the whipped cream, won't it all melt? Not that I probably couldn't get my family to eat the whole thing in one sitting if we really, really tried. icon_wink.gif

My DH and The Girl and I went to Amsterdam the beginning of this May to visit my Aunt. It was my first time in Europe and I can't say how much I loved it. My father had been born there and somehow it just felt so welcoming. Amsterdam is a very clean, very likable city. We also took the train through Brussels and to Paris, and they were not nearly so nice. The people were just great in Amsterdam and it was so helpful as an American that everyone was happy to speak English. I can't wait to go back. Tartacadabra, if you ever need anything from Seattle, please let me know. You are on my Favorite Person List now. icon_wink.gif

I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and I couldn't get it to load here in the forum, but if you notice my avatar...

Mary

Tartacadabra Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 13

Hey Mary, thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif Never heard that before here, that "I rock" icon_wink.gif

I don't know what you have in the US to stabilize the whipped cream, we have a kind of powder here that you put in with the cream, and then you whip it, yes makes it more firm. If you don't have it, just put in in the fridge, normally it will just stay fine, but yes with some kind of stabilizer it stays a bit more "solid".

I hope the slagroomtaart turns out allright. A pity that we didn't "meet" before, would have been nice to eat slagroomtaart with a fellow cake-fan icon_wink.gif from CC.
I could invite you for the next time but if everything goes allright we will emigrate to Spain in a few months (my husband is spanish), but if you are even close to Alicante (Costa Blanca, not too far from Barcelona which by the way is an AWESOME city to visit!!!) just come to visit so we can have Dutch slagroomtaart in Spain icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

I am really glad to hear that you liked Amsterdam, I am very fond of this place, you can just go by bike in the middle of the night, no problems, nothing, really, really great city!!
If you ever go again and if you like chocolate (special flavors), the chocolate guru icon_wink.gif of Amsterdam is Unlimited Delicious. For absolutely the best chocolate cake in Amsterdam go to Pompadour.
Yeah a bit of a chocolate girl myself icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

Greetings,
Lara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%