Book Recommendations

Decorating By cakesinma Updated 16 Jun 2005 , 12:47am by AgentCakeBaker

cakesinma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesinma Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 1:08am
post #1 of 5

I'm just getting started with cake decorating. I *may* take wilton classes at some point but certainly not until the fall at the earliest.

To give you an idea of where I'm 'at' you can see my first 2 cakes in my photo section. Reading here and on the wilton site, I've read a lot of 'basic' info and I'm starting to apply it to my cakes but I'd like to buy some useful books from which to learn more.

I have the Wilton 2005 yearbook and the Cake Decorating Beginner's Guide by Wilton. Where should I go from here to learn more about decorating?

Also, due to nut allergies I have to make my cakes from scratch. Can anyone recommend a good cake cookbook?

4 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

I don't really have any great ideas on a cake decorating book--escept for the self courses that you can get on the Wilton method.

However, for scratch-made cakes, I highly recommend "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. I love this book as it has many, many wonderful recipes for cakes, icings, fillings, etc. It also has a great section of the chemistry of baking, etc. Hope this helps!!

Lisa

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 5

I also recomend The Cake Bible, I think it covers a whole lot. I also like the wilton yearbooks. I use the book Best-Ever Cake Decorating by Angela Nilsen it has the basic cake and icing recipes and easy decorating techniques.

Wandy

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 5

I got my Wilton class books from ebay! It's a good thing too, because when I took the classes, my teacher used one of the older books to teach from, which did NOT cover the newer techniques in the books I got from ebay. It's not that difficult to learn from the books, and if you have any questions, we're here to help.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 12:47am
post #5 of 5

Check ebay for more cake decorating books. They have yearbooks that date back to the 70's. I love all my yearbooks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%