Italian Buttercream, Anyone Else..

Baking By littlemissmuffin Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 2:55pm by ladyonzlake

littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 1:58am
post #1 of 18

add extra powdered sugar at the end? I've done this. Just using the sugar syrup isn't quite sweet enough to me so I added a little extra powdered sugar at the end and it also thickened up a bit more as well. Now, it's sweet but not as sweet as regular buttercream.

17 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 2:06am
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffin

add extra powdered sugar at the end? I've done this. Just using the sugar syrup isn't quite sweet enough to me so I added a little extra powdered sugar at the end and it also thickened up a bit more as well. Now, it's sweet but not as sweet as regular buttercream.

Have you tried extra sugar in your syrup?
I wouldnt add powdered sugar at the end, because the beauty of French and Italian buttercream is how smooth they are, the extra powdered sugar would take away some of that.
cheers
Nati

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 2:18am
post #3 of 18

I like the sweetness of mine but I don't like the overwhelming buttery flavor. Has anyone tried using part shortening?
Jacqui

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 11:55am
post #4 of 18

The first time I tried Italian Meringue, the recipe called for Crisco in it.

If I find it, I will post it.

I recall seeing on the FoodNetwork Caters your Wedding special, that when the cake decorators were making their cakes and then they were beinig judged on how the cake tasted, that Giada Delorentis said that she didn't like Italain Meringue (and she is Italian) because it was like putting a stick of butter in your mouth.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 18

I always add 2 Tbsp clear vanilla to mine. That gives it a lot of flavor so you taste the vanilla and not the butter. (That is based on Sylvia Weinstock's recipe--her recipe is too big for my KA, but she adds 6 Tbsp Vanilla to hers)

However when I bought a different brand of vanilla (Baron's) it tasted so very sweet. The vanilla had sugar in it and I also think it was super concentrated. I didn't like the result, but I prefer the less sweet taste of IMBC.

ladyonzlake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 18

Does anyone have Sylvia's IMB recipe? I'd like to compare it to the one I use. 2TBS?? seems like a lot. I think I use 2tsp for a 6cup recipe. I actually use half vanilla and half creme bouquet.
Jacqui

leta Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 18

Sylvia's IMBC

3 1/2 C sugar
13 Large Egg whites
3 lbs (12 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
6 Tbsp clear vanilla extract

Do not try this in a 5 1/2 qt bowl---the volume is too much.

The vanilla can separate out after leaving out overnight or refrigerating, just bring to room temp and re-whip.

I use 2 Tbsp in Kaye's Buttercream. It is delish! (that ratio is a little less than Sylvia's --Kay's has 1 1/2 lbs of butter)

To flavor as a filling you can add liqueur 3 Tbs or so. Or add melted bittersweet choc, fruit puree, etc.

If I ever get a Hobart mixer, I will use Sylvia's recipe again. It would probably be good with 4 Tbsp Vanilla also.

I use the regular brown vanilla when I am making Choc buttercream.

ladyonzlake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks so much for the recipe. Do you dissolve the sugar in 1/2 c of water to make the sugar syrup like the other IMB recipes?

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 18

i dont add anything to my recipe. (swiss meringue) but its very hot here in ja and that icing always needs to be kept in the fridge. maybe when i do a test cake i will try the icing sugar. how much extra icing sugar did you out in??

leta Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

Thanks so much for the recipe. Do you dissolve the sugar in 1/2 c of water to make the sugar syrup like the other IMB recipes?

Yes, that's correct.

Here is the recipe with instructions:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/02/09/sylvia.weinstock/icing.html

littlemissmuffin Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 18

Well, my buttercream was still smooth. This is the recipe I used and I added some shortening in replacement of butter. The extra sugar added at the end is almost like the "American" buttercream, just thickens it up a bit.

1/4 cup plus 2 T water
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 cup glucose
2 1/4 egg whites
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 confectionary sugar

Place water, sugar and glucose in a heavy sugar pan. Stir until mixture boils, wash down sides with wet, clean pastry brush and insert candy thermometer. Boil until the temperature of the syrup reaches 110°C, then start beating the egg whites and cream of tartar in a stand up electric mixer, until stiff. When sugar reaches 120°C remove from heat and put the speed of the egg whites to the lowest. Pour the syrup into the whipped whites in a slow, steady stream, trying not to get syrup on the wire whip or the edge of the bowl. Continue to beat the meringue until it is nearly cold, about 15 minutes. Begin beating in the butter and shortening, a little at a time, and continue beating until smooth.**After this step, I whipped in some of the confectionary sugar after the frosting set up some. It added some sweetness to it and thickness**. IMO.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 18

I use Sylvia's recipe in a K6, and it fills it to the top, but I do make these changes:

I NEVER use 6 TB of clear vanilla. The only time I did, the whole 12 cups of icing tasted like whiskey! I use about 2-3 max, even if using regular vanilla.

I NEVER use all solid unsalted butter for the 12 sticks of butter. I tried a few times and settled on 10 sticks unsalted and 2 sticks salted. Half and half was way too salty...The all-unsalted recipe just tasted way too plain. The little touch of salted butter is just right. For her filling I use 1 salted to 5 unsalted.

Works for me.

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 18

Does substituting some shortening for butter help to get rid of that feeling like your eating a stick of butter. I definitely experience that when eating IMBC frosted cakes.

ladyonzlake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 18

Leta, thank you for the web site. I will have to try it out.
Jacqui

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 18

I use this recipe of Italian Meringue Buttercream which includes shortening.

16 oz. Sugar Make Meringue, following usual procedure
4 oz. water
8 oz. egg whites

16 oz. Butter Cream Butter and rest of ingred. till smooth & light.
4 oz. Shortening
1 tsp. Lemon juice
1/2 Tbls. (approx.) Vanilla extract

Add the meringue a little at a time, blending it in well.

Enjoy! Let me know how you like it ok?
Sweetcakes

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:50pm
post #16 of 18

My directions got mushed in with the recipe,...sorry!

I intended for them to have a space between the ingredients and the directions! Sorry guys! Hope you can understand that. If not, let me know and I will re type it.
Sweetcakes.

littlemissmuffin Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:19pm
post #17 of 18

Yea, to me the shortening helps with that overly buttery taste. It's even. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do.

ladyonzlake Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:55pm
post #18 of 18

Here's the results I got by adding shortening to my IMB. I used Sylvia's recipe and used 6 sticks of butter and 5 cups of Hi ratio shortening. Next time I would use 7 of butter and 4 of shortening. I added 2 tsp creme bouquet, and 2Tbs of clear vanilla. It's much better than the full butter recipe! Thanks everyone!
Jacqui

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%