This Is A Bit Of A Weird Request But . . .

Decorating By gloria Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 4:06am by gloria

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:43am
post #1 of 8

My son is proposing to his girlfriend this weekend but she has no idea.

She wants a hair straightener for her birthday and I've given her the impression she's getting one. Instead she's getting a ring!

So I thought I would make her a "hair straightener" cake.

Has anyone done this. Any ideas???

Thanks for any help.

P.S. And obviously I'm in a bit of a hurry for this info!

Gloria

7 replies
CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:53am
post #2 of 8

What if you did something like a "hair" cake - fondant pushed through a clay gun and curly on top, straight on the bottom, with a gumpaste straightner?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:53am
post #3 of 8

Congrats!

Since a hair straightener is fairly thin...I'd probably make it out of fondant (tonight so it can start drying) and paint the metal part silver after its dry....

Then maybe make a rectangular gift box cake with some fondant tissue paper and the lid cocked off to the side, with the straightener inside.

You could give her the cake first and give the impression its her gift... and then your son can bring out the real one. I wanna see! icon_biggrin.gif

melissavisnicsheffel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissavisnicsheffel Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #4 of 8

Maybe a FBCT 'cartoon-ish' picture of her with her hair standing 'straight' up in shock or surprise...

klesyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klesyd Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:55am
post #5 of 8

I have not done any thing like this, but my first thought was doing something with fondant.

gloria Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:02am
post #6 of 8

Okay, I'm liking these ideas.

I was concentrating on just a straightener. But if I do a cartoon girl with her hair in an oversized straightener. . .
Or
if I do the "gift box" with the straightener sticking out . . .
Or
if I do a girl peaking into a present box (she loved it when I made a mini girl for a rugby cake I made) with a straightener in it . . .

I aways know I can count on this board. Thank you for your ideas. Keep them coming!

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 8

Congrats!

Would your son be willing to some how incorporate the ring with the cake?! With the gift box idea? That might be neat!

gloria Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:06am
post #8 of 8

well I did it! I wasn't totally impressed with it but she thought it was cute. I should have made the straightener a little sooner to allow it to dry more.
I will post pics tomorrow.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Oh yeah - she said yes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%