Wedding Cake From Scratch? Structure?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 2:23pm by imartsy

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 7

Okay so for you "from scratch" bakers.... how do you make sure that the cake you make will be strong enough? Or durable enough for a wedding cake? In other words - I haven't had much luck making "from scratch" cakes and I want to try to make one for a wedding (i'll do a dry run first to make sure it tastes good and comes out good - but I don't know about trying to stack it - I only want to make a tiny layer to see the taste) and I'm worried about being able to stack it and about it rising enough - I always seem to have problems w/ scratch cakes. So what are your secrets? How do you make one that is durable enough? The only thing I've seen that I can believe is durable are those English fruit cakes - and I don't know too many people in America keen on fruitcake.....

6 replies
TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 7

i have better luck with my scratch recipes then i do with my box mixes always much stronger and much easier. All of my stacked cakes have been scratch

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 1:07am
post #3 of 7

Just avoid a chiffon cake. Most butter cakes stack just fine. I also have a recipe for a white cake that's about 1/2 wt between butter cake and pound cake that will stack to the moon if you like.

tonyah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyah Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 1:10am
post #4 of 7

I used Sarah's ultimate butter cake from baking 911. It was moist and dense enough to stack. Everyone said it was great - and it was very sturdy.

HTH

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 7

This is a nice rich cake that is especially good for weddings. You can change the extracts to almost anything ( butter+vanilla+almond is especially luxurious). I add 1 t. cake dougnut flavor from the Bakers Catalogue when I'm making it in the fall or winter.

If a really dense pound cake like cake is desired, use 1/2 all purpose flour.

3 cups cake flour
11/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 lb unslated butter, softened
22/3 powdered sugar
8 large eggs, seperated
1 T vanilla

Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder. Cream the butter on low to med speed for 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar. Beat well after each addition. ( I add it in three batches) Add egg yolks 2 at a time and blend in your extracts.

On low speed add sifted flour mixture mixing until the flour is just blended. ( I break it into three batches) .

In a separate bowl beat eggs whites to firm peaks. Stir the egg whites back into thick batter on low speed for one minute.

Bake at 350 ( or 325 convection)

Another great thing about this cake is that it remians moist and fresh for up to a week without freezing.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 7

I think you're pretty safe with any recipes from cake decorator books, or recommendations from people here.

If you let us know what kind of cake, white, choc, etc, I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations.

If you are filling the cake, make sure your filling will hold up and is thick enough. Make sure you know how to properly dowel the cakes.

Good luck!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone!

I'm trying to do one layer of chocolate, one layer vanilla, w/ the cookies & cream filling from Whimsical Bakehouse (never done it before but it sounds soooo yummy!). Any more hints or tips are greatly appreciated!!!

Oh will that filling hold up okay??? I'm taking the cake to a restaurant, so it's not an outdoor wedding and won't be up at a reception for a long time either - but I'd like to know for the future if it holds up well too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%