How Far In Advance Can Cakes Be Made

Decorating By Barky Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm by RICKASH

Barky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barky Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:18am
post #1 of 5

I am making a 2 tiered christening cake on the 22nd july. How far in advance can I make choc mud cakes. Can I freeze them or will this affect taste. Also when covering with MMF do I cover each section of the cake in seperate fondant or cover the cake as a whole iykwim? Thanks

4 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 5

i've never made choc mud cake, but i always bake 1-2 days ahead of time, depending on how elaborate the decorations are and how big the cake is. for a sunday party i would bake on fri or sat. with the mmf, cover each tier as a whole and separate piece. but you don't want multiple pieces of fondant covering each tier. there is an excellent tutorial on covering cakes in fondant. http://www.cakecentral.com/article22-How-To-Cover-Your-Cake-in-Fondant.html

just do each tier as an individual cake, then stack them after they are iced in fondant. (decorations can go on either before or after stacking, it just depends on what you are doing)

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 5

I'm pretty sure you can freeze mudcakes. I made one not too long ago and it stayed fresh (left out) for days and still tasted great.

Courtney

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 5

as long as you wrap the cake really really well it should be fine to freeze. But I really stress wrapping it a few times or it will taste like everything else in the freezer.

RICKASH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RICKASH Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefrinny

as long as you wrap the cake really really well it should be fine to freeze. But I really stress wrapping it a few times or it will taste like everything else in the freezer.

Yes you can freeze mud cakes, just wrap them as stated above. I find that after mud cakes have been in the freezer they are more moist and have a real mud like texture which is what you want. You can freeze for upto 6-8 weeks and it will have a shelf life of about 5 days depending on filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%