Choice Of Flavor At Reception

Decorating By Gretta Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 4:41pm by indydebi

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:16am
post #1 of 10

Anyone ever experience this before? Went to a wedding (the cake was large and decorated nicely... nothing over the top) but when it came time to serve the cake, we noticed there were three different flavors being served. So when they came to our table, several of us asked for a chocolate piece w/strawberry filling and the wait staff informed us that the chocolate was only for the wedding party and immediate family. She then went on to say that they were instructed to serve only white w/bc to the rest of the guests. What?!? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif "Oh, OK, I'll just take mine at my table located right by the swinging door that leads to the kitchen and my mom will take hers at her table just outside the public restrooms." Anyone?

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:55am
post #2 of 10

Wow, that's really odd! no, I've never heard that. And if I was "immediate family", I'd be ticked that I was being forced to take choc couldn't have the white cake!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:28am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Wow, that's really odd! no, I've never heard that. And if I was "immediate family", I'd be ticked that I was being forced to take choc couldn't have the white cake!

LOL same here, I don't care for chocolate!

Hmm This is odd, I would think if this was the case you would just serve the bridal party and immediate family first so they have first choice for the chocolate, then whatever was leftover was leftover. no different than having the bridal party going through a buffet line before everyone else.

I know stuff shouldn't run out but I have seen it happen one to many times.

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:36am
post #4 of 10

Thats kind of weird. I know I did a wedding cake where the bride wanted every tier of her 4 tiered cake to be a different flavor combination, but I am pretty sure it was to please all the guests, not selective serving.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:42am
post #5 of 10

Sounds like one of those funky ideas the bride had. icon_confused.gif Probably she wanted chocolate but somebody convinced her that the guests wouldn't want chocolate (that or she didn't want to pay for chocolate and strawberry for everyone) and so she instructed the waitstaff not to serve it to anyone else.

Who knows what brides come up with...

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:52am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Who knows what brides come up with...

exactly... hormones or something going wonky

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 10

Maybe it wasn't the bride. I went to a wedding and the waiter started to hand me a piece of wedding cake. I politely asked him for any of the other flavors. He emphatically said "NO, this is what we are serving to this table!" It had nothing to do with the bride's choice-he didn't want to be bothered. I know there were lots of other choices, I made the cake-all 7 tiers with 7 flavors and 12 different fillings. I went home without a piece of the cake, and the bride still doesn't know how rude her wait staff was.

At my daughter's wedding, I had the staff cut all the tiers and display them on a table and have our guests help themselves. Our guests loved the choice and most had more that one piece so they could enjoy the different flavors. I encourage brides to be to think about serving cake this way.

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 10

funcakes, ALL of the weddings at which I make the cake are done this way. I cut the cake and have the DJ announce "The cake is cut and you are welcome to help yoruself at any time." It's part of the cost savings I can offer brides, since I can work a wedding by myself with way, but if they wanted the tables 'served', I'd have to bring at least 2 other people with me.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 10

One thing to think about is when you have more flavors to choose from you will no doubt go need a little MORE cake with folks just having to try another flavor! I do mention that when people select their flavors/fillings.

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

One thing to think about is when you have more flavors to choose from you will no doubt go need a little MORE cake with folks just having to try another flavor! I do mention that when people select their flavors/fillings.

I actually try to discourage them from having too many flavors because then you have to cut all 4 or 5 tiers so if they have any cake leftover, then they have a bunch of partially cut cakes which are harder to store. And I never try to get them to have equal amounts of flavors. Unless you have 100 servings of all 3 flavors for 100 guests (i.e. cake for 300!) then you are just going to run out of one flavor before another. You can't guarentee that 1/3 will like each of one of the 3 flavors. So we work to make the largest tier what would be the most popular flavor, and work down from there. It's a crapshoot, no matter what.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%