Anyone Willing To Share...choc Crusting Bc??

Decorating By steffla Updated 26 Jun 2007 , 12:02am by indydebi

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have a tried and true crusting chocolate bc recipe they would be willing to share. I usually cover my cakes in mmf but I have to make a wood desk and the customer does not want fondant. Any help would be appreciated!Thanks!

Stephanie

9 replies
hottub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hottub Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 10

I make the buttercream dream recipe and add cocoa powder to it to taste. You may need a little more liquid to compensate for the cocoa but its delicious and crusts beautifully. By the way, I'm in New Egypt if you know where that is.

steffla Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 10

Yes I do know where that is, small world huh? Plus, your join date is my birthday, icon_razz.gif

I looked up that recipe thank you,

the author of it also has one for choc bc dream and says she uses choc melts because the cocoa powder can make it grainy. Have you ever noticed that? I dont have any choc melts in the house so I would rather use cocoa powder but, do you use unsweetened cocoa, that is what I have.? thanks again,

*edited to say,,,,I also have the special dark cocoa by hersheys which is sweetened I guess

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 10

I just use my normal crusting buttercream and I add melted chocolate chips to it. I love this recipe. It is smooth and creamy and I can get a darker chocolate color than when I used to use cocoa powder.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 10

I make chocolate BC Dream all the time just by adding unsweetened cocoa powder and everyone loves it! I never found it to be grainy & like Hottub said, adjust the liquid as necessary. Sorry I can't be more specific but I never measure the cocoa or liquid!

steffla Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 10

That sounds delicious too! Gotta go see if I have any choc chips! AAAH, my pantry has gone empty because I have had a bunch of cakes in the last few weeks and made extra bc for tomorrows cake thinking I would cover it in mmf. But last minute the customer changed to choc bc instead of fondant. Wanted to scream but, it is my mother in law and her co workers so .... icon_rolleyes.gif

steffla Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 10

Sorry, Korensmommy we were posting at the same time! Thanks for the info and good luck with the baby. Just found out I am between 5 and 6 weeks pregnant!!! This is my third and we are sooooo excited!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 10

I just add the Hersheys cocoa powder (not sweetened) to taste. It's not grainy and everyone loves it. I've made it light chocolate and darker w/ more cocoa powder. All taste good and perform well. I have a grad-cake in my pics where I used this choc.buttercream and after it crusted I used a towel w/ a pattern/print to emboss the icing. It was a rush order and I was trying to go for more effect quickly icon_razz.gif HTH

Lynda icon_smile.gif

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 10

I just use my regular buttercream and ad 12oz of melted bittersweet chocolate chips - or mint chocolate chips - or white chocolate chips - or butterscotch chip - okay - now I want some frosting!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:02am
post #10 of 10

The grainy look might have to do with when and how the cocoa is being added. Cocoa has a fat content and mixes better with the dry ingredients rather than with wet ones. I've no idea if this is the cause/effect, just thought I'd throw it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%