What Makes A Cake Look Professional?

Decorating By 4dollars Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 4:21pm by leta

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:16am
post #31 of 46

I take tons of pictures of my cakes in different lighting situations and then I use Adobe photoshop to create a nice background.

jess9333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess9333 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:25am
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Quote:

Melxcloud & Marissa, what do you use for lighting? I get the whole backdrop idea, but I just can't seem to figure out a good way to light my cakes up. For example, white on white cakes. I've seen some pictures where the detail shows up, but in my pics it never does. I'm sure this is a lighing issue, I just can't figure it out.

Never use a flash! It will bleach out any detail on the cake. Use natural light if possible. My apartment actually doesn't have very much natural light (plus I seem to always want to take pictures at night), so I use a couple of desk lights off to the side of the cake. Tungsten lighting does give off a yellowish tone, so I adjust my camera to compensate.

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:48am
post #33 of 46

I agree, a good picture can really show off your work, I've made cakes that I was'nt really happy with until I seen the picture of it and could appreciate the whole cake from a different perspective. The main things that make a cake look professional to me is- It is level, (no bump in the middle) the borders are straight and large enough, the colors are not to over powering, the writing is neat, and the over all design is in perportion. (spelling?)

Babyfor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babyfor Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:46am
post #34 of 46

Hello everyone, I need your help, I'm doing a layered, tierd cake and I'm using ribbon on the cake. Now the question is how do I stick it to the cake?(I'm thinking with buttercream), also I'm finishing it with a big ribbon bow, also need to know how to stick to the cake. Any idea will do fine thanks a bunch.

Shar (Babyfor)

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:18am
post #35 of 46

When I take photos I always take my cakes outside in the natural light, I put a black sheet of card behind them and take the photo on maximum size (digital) without a flash. I then edit out the background in Adobe Photoshop so the cake is sitting 'in mid air.' If it's a white cake I sometimes make the background all black. I got the idea from Margaret Braun who doesn't even include the board in her photos. Also I figure my cakes aren't the sort that should have swags etc. in the background. Here's one I did with photoshop:
LL

emmascakes Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:25am
post #36 of 46

I would think if you use buttercream to stick the ribbon to the cake you'll get grease marks through the ribbon - I'd use royal icing. I use royal icing as my 'glue' for everything. Maybe if you're decorating in buttercream this wouldn't work. Maybe you need to start a seperate post for this?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 1:34pm
post #37 of 46

I think photos of the cakes are important no matter if it is a business or for a hobby. The cakes only last so long, and that is the only medium that you have to "capture" the image. If you never care if anyone sees what your work is like, pics are not that important, but for most of the folks here ~ I would think that they would be!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 4:00pm
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

I was coming to post the same as above mentioning that when you take a photo of your cake, it does not look good at all if you can see clutter, baking supplies, junk on the table or counter top, etc in the background.
KimAZ

I would agree totally if you are worried about what your pictures look like.... it takes from the cake when you see a counter that is messy, or tools around, or anything like that...... heck take a look at this picture of mine.... I didn't do this all by myself, I did it with a friend in her kitchen, she took the picture so I could post it here, and she didn't agree with me until she seen the picture and houw horrible it looked.... so now she won't take a picture anymore until everything is cleaned up. I couldn't even comment on it without seeing the counter......
LL

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 4:25pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dollars

Melxcloud & Marissa, what do you use for lighting? I get the whole backdrop idea, but I just can't seem to figure out a good way to light my cakes up. For example, white on white cakes. I've seen some pictures where the detail shows up, but in my pics it never does. I'm sure this is a lighing issue, I just can't figure it out.

I take my cake pics when i can in the dining room with a off white table cloth behind and then i fire up my chandelier, which I have GE reveal bulbs in, much whiter than even soft white bulbs. I have a very difficult time taking pics in natural light because I cannot put a cake within arms reach of my 2 year old son and basically he's every where during the day and there is no real good place indoor for me to take a picture with natural light. I have an old house so direction and lighting were not taken into consideration when it was built.
Don't use a flash and do use a tripod.

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 7:39pm
post #40 of 46

That is a great question. Several people mentioned that a nice looking cakeboard is important. I am completely new at decorating, so could someone explain how the cakeboard should look? Thank you.

emmascakes Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 8:36pm
post #41 of 46

Slightly skewing this thread if that's ok - what makes a professional looking web-site? I'm always trying to get mine that right mix of 'me' and looking expensive - what are the top things to do to make a site look impressive, professional and not cheap!

littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 1:33am
post #42 of 46

Emma your site is really nice!

As for websites, I think borderless designs look more "clean" and professional. Or if you have a border, make it a filled border with some thickness.

Also, not to gripe against free websites, but lots of those free sites have ads on them, that kind of takes away from websites I think.

Easy navigation is key too. If I have to go through at least 3 pages before I can even see a product or get more info about a product, then I'm done.

Eye catching home page.

I really, really think css-based sites are a bit more professional looking and cleaner as opposed to simple html websites.

Oh, most of all, a site looks less ametuerish and more professional, when they stay away from big lettering or neon colors or movable backgrounds or backgrounds with music playing that don't give you the option to turn the sound off.

I think I covered everything so far.

naotter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naotter Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:50am
post #43 of 46

I like this thread - it is great.

I do agree - one needs to know when to quit when it comes to putting decorations on cakes. And to help me I use this tip, when I start to question does it need more, I reach for my camera and take a quick shot. Step back into a different room so the cake is out of site and take a look at my pic, I think this gives me a different perspective on what the cake looks like - I add more if I feel the cake is missing something - or I clean up if the cake look great.

I too would also know what makes a cake board look professional

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:01am
post #44 of 46

I agree with all what has been said, its something that when you look at the cake makes you go 'wow' as you take it all in in one glance, so I would say not overdone, simple but striking, really, accumulation of smooth icing, good colours, proportion and appropriate cake boards or stand. I prefer simple not too 'messy' cakes.

Although to the un trained eye most cakes will look superb, its just we get over critical of our own cakes, I know I do!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

cheers Jan

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:24pm
post #45 of 46

On the cake board issue, I think that the only thing that really looks homemade (I'm very guilt of this one) Is a foil coverd board that isn't the shape of the cake or just too large.

Those of you that cover your boards in fondant, How do you put the cake on the board and not mess it up? Do you decorate on that board, or move the finished cake to it after you are done?

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:21pm
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dollars

Those of you that cover your boards in fondant, How do you put the cake on the board and not mess it up? Do you decorate on that board, or move the finished cake to it after you are done?

Any cake I make is iced on its own cardboard the same size as the cake, then later moved to the display board (fondant covered, or whatever) just make sure the board is grease proof by using a commercial cake drum, corrugated plastic boards, grease-proof cardboard, or wood covered with contact paper or paper specifically designed for cake boards. If the board has any thickness such as a cake drum, hot glue a coordinated ribbon around the edge of it.

Use double stick tape to stick the cake cardboard to the cake base, or icing if it is only a 1 layer cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%