What Can I Do Better Next Time?

Decorating By cabincake Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 8:56pm by jeffer01

cabincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabincake Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 13

First off, there is no way I could have even attempted to try this w/o this site and everyones help. Thank You! I don't do this on a regular basis, the last cake of any size I made was 4 years ago. Last weekend though I had a cake to make for my husband's cousin, it was her gift from us. Anyway, I thought it went pretty smoothly except for the middle 12" tier, it started to sag on the left side. I had it dowelled really good so the rest of the top stayed level, but there became a bit of a gap between the 12" and the 10". Did I mention it was 90 degrees that day? Is this just what happens with heat or did I over fill it? Thanks for looking.
LL

12 replies
nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 13

The heat can do wonderous things can't it. I would blame the heat for the gap. But you can't really seit unless you are looking for it. I think the cake looks great, I would love to be able to try something like this but I don't have the guts yet

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 13

Wow, that is one big cake!

I think you did a great job, I wouldn't change a thing!

As far as the sag on the 12" tier, I don't really have any experience with that so can't help there. I'm sure someone else will have an idea about that.

Your cousin must have been thrilled!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with nechee, you can hardly even see it unless you know what you're looking for. I don't know what would cause the cake to start sagging like that, but heat and cakes don't mix, so that's a good bet. It's really beautiful, great job! thumbs_up.gif

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 13

You did a wonderful job! I just wish I could see what is on top of the cake. What did you have going on up there? Your cake looks great and I am sure everyone enjoyed it.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 13

Ya know, that is one behemoth cake! I dunno why it sagged...maybe dowel was cut a little too short? Cake not done on that side? Who knows....for a free monster cake like that, I would NOT have complained...its really quite gorgeous!!!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 13

hmm maybe swaap one of the larger flowers with the small one near the gap and disquise it icon_wink.gif

we dont make mistakes we have happy accidents (i think i'm quoting bob ross right- i hope lol)

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 13

The cake is beautiful! We always notice the little things wrong with the cake that no one else even notices. Like others have said, you don't notice it until you really look for it.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 13

oh bash my manners again. i forgot to pass on my compliments icon_smile.gif its a gorgeous cake and looks like you put a lot of hardwork in to it. icon_smile.gif are the flowers fresh? I may have missed it some where.

guerrosos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
guerrosos Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 13

That is one big, beautiful cake! And you say you hadn't baked anything in 4 years? That's what I call God-given talent. Even with the sag, it looks great.

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 13

I would chalk it up to the heat like the others said. I made one the other day that sagged horribly and I only had to go about a mile down the road. I think yours looks superb! Great job.

cabincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabincake Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for all the nice comments, on the sides I used a stencil and just ran a spatula over it. The flowers were fresh, I ran up to Walmart after I set up the cake, and spent $8 on daisies!
LL

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 13

my, my cabincake...your cake is beautiful!!!! It looks wonderful to me and I have NO idea about sagging. I would have loved to received this cake as a gift!!!
You did an excellent job!
My only problem with tiers has been people knocking them over when they shouldn't be messing with the cake!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%