Ok, I Need To Vent To Get Over This And Move On. :)

Decorating By LauraS Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 2:01am by LauraS

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 14

I made a pretty good cake it I do so myself and i did the major don't. I gave a price and did not take the money up front. when i delivered the cake yesterday, I was handed the money in an envalope and I did not check it ( I did not want to appear I guess pushy?). they loved the cake , (the brided to be > she jumped up and down, made me feel really good) checked the money and i was shorted ten dollars, ok to be exact $8.75. The woman who had ordered the cake was not there and this was a BNI refferal and I need to move on , but i really needed to vent, so i thank you for listing to me.

13 replies
bncncnmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bncncnmn Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 14

That happened to me two weeks ago. It was only $5.00 but it was my daughters teacher so I did not say anything. She said my cakes were really good and she will order only from me. Guess I will have to wait and see.

LauraS Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 14

I am really trying to le tthis go, this was a refferal from one of the leaders of my BNI group and I am just upset, i realize that it is only 8.75 , but that adds up and well darn it , it was a really good cake. lol, ok i am done. thank you so much for the support. I love cake central, I never ever post to forums and such and well now i am , icon_biggrin.gif

bncncnmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bncncnmn Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:18am
post #4 of 14

Cake Central is such a wonderful place to be. I now if I ever get stuck someone will always help me out.

LauraS Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:48am
post #5 of 14

I have to say I feel the same way. I am very glad I found this site. it is a blessing. I never thought that I would see the things done with cake like I have seem here, I am inspired to work harder and to slow down and take my time.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 14

Next time I would just check the money. You aren't being pushy, you are being a business person icon_smile.gif

BethA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethA Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 14

I agree with Hippiemama. Counting the money is just part of business. If you go to a store and give the cashier cash, they count it right there in front of you. You are no different.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 14

not worth stressing at this point, likely it was an oversight. but if you took cash and left, you vae no way of proving they DIDN'T give you the right amount.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 14

8.75 is a lot of money. It's 9 cake mixes(if you are a mix user), 9 dozen eggs, 4-5lb bags of flour, 1/2 gallons of oil, 4lbs of butter....it's supplies or gas or a movie or 8 packs of teeth whitening gum ...it's your's.

um...what's BNI?

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 14

Next time count the money and don't feel bad about it. If they were at a bakery they wouldn't have been able to get out the door with the cake if they'd been short $8.75. And it was really tacky of them to pull that one one on you. You're a business person, so don't feel guilty.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 14

Tiptop's top tip....

I'm thinking an invoice is a proper procedure to get in a habit of producing for our clients along with the items purchased. Present the invoice and check the money. Remember this is not a tip but a legit business transaction and you don't have to slip the envelope into your pocket quickly and secretly count when nobody is looking. Open the envelope and count the money right there. This is not a secret bribe or drug money LOL icon_eek.gif. If you are not paid in full, apply the money to the balance and resubmit the new invoice with the new total to the client right there on the spot.icon_biggrin.gif

Then IMHO do not move on from this, if the money was agreed to upfront, tell them they owe you $8.75 for the product and you need to collect. You are not a loan company and you can not float the cash.....or you may have to send Guido and his baseball bat to collect. icon_wink.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 14

That seems like such a random amount to be missing. Maybe a kid got into the envelope without her knowing? Sounds like some sort of mistake I wouldn't take offense. Just a lesson learned I guess to get the money before giving cake.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 14

What was the total amount of the order? I assume that it was a wedding cake and therefore on the order of 100-200+? In that case, I would chalk it up to a lesson learned. If it was a small cake (<50), then I would probably mention to them that the amount paid was accidentally shorted. You really have to assess the situation. Overall, <$9 isn't that much for a lesson learned.

LauraS Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:01am
post #14 of 14

OK, it was the cake that I did the hot tubs on, I only charged her 65.00 for it and the money was short, I agree and next time I will check the money. the BNI is a allot like the chamber of Commerce, it cost a little to join and i have made my money back in three weeks, there is only one of each field allowed in any group. 1 lawyer, one Realtor, 1 cater, 1 of any thing. www.bni.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%