Has Anyone Colored Their Cake Batter Before?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 7:22pm by msauer

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 14

I tried it once, but I kept adding color at the end to get it more intense, thus overmixing the air bubbles out of the batter and resulting in a flat cake, I later learned.
Any tips on when to add the color, or how many drops of Americolor approx. per mix (5 cups) of cake batter?

13 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 14

i add gel colors the same time i add the liquid in, or sometimes right after adding each egg. i've never tried to get really dark colors, just made my lemon a little more yellow, and red velvet.

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 14

keep in mind the amount of liquid you're adding to you mix. maybe add a little less water to compensate.

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 14

If one box of cake mix, I would start with about 1 tablespoon of color. Mix it in when you add the liquid.

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 14

I've done it before. I just mixed the color in by hand after mixing up the batter. I did a yellow and blue marble cake for our Rams superbowl party one year! It turned out great.
Can't help with your question about how much to add, I just played until I got the colors I wanted.

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 14

I colored my batter when I made the Wilton checkboard cake for Easter. I added the color in with a toothpick (just like when coloring your icing) after my batter was mixed up. The color does intensify with cooking, but it turned out great!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 14

I colored my batter when I made the candy corn cakes... I started with a White box mix and added Wilton colors (cause they were pastey) and mixed by hand slowly folding until it was all blended. That way you aren't incorporating anymore air or taking it out either.

You can also mix it in after you mix your eggs in. I do it after the eggs because the eggs are going to naturally turn a white/yellow cake yellow and the color will be different once that happens...

I've never used my americolor to color batter but plan to for a 4th of july cake coming up.... I plan on using a white box mix since it was such a big hit with the candy corn cakes, and I plan on dying it the same way as before... hopefully it'll work the same lol.

Also if using white mix remember white doesn't rise as much as chocolate or yellow or any other.... my yellows rise more then my chocolates and my whites rise more then my chocolates but not more then my yellows... so it's all in experments lol.... I've also used whole eggs instead of just whites in a white mix because it didn't matter if it stayed white or not... (white was all we had in the cabinet and was a last minute middle of the night baking project lol) turned out a faint yellowish color kinda like a normal yellow cake would...

It's very pretty when you cut into a cake that has colored layers in it and the candy corn cakes I made I followed Wilton's directions and used the checkerboard pan set and made 3 cakes... they were all a huge hit and everyone loved them... I think the coloring added something lmao icon_wink.gif

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 14

I've done it with jello and color but what
I like better is putting multi colored filling. I love the look of the colored stripes when the cake is cut.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 14

THe amount of color is dependent on what shade you are looking for. A pink cake would get one or two drops of red color but a red cake would take much more. Light green vs. hunter green, etc.

I had a bride who wanted a pink cake but not cherry or strawberry flavored. I just used those water-based food colorings in the grocery to tint the batter pink. I used those because it is easy to count the drops per batter-batch to insure a uniform color.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 14

I used Jello in my last cake. I used raspberry and it made it a great flavor and turned the white cake a darker pink. depending on the color and the flavor it works great.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 14

I use the gel colors and just mix in a couple of drops, dots or streaks of color as I add in the other liquids. For a pastel cake, you shouldn't be adding enough extra to make any difference in the formula.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 14

I would suggest placing the coloring in with your water and then adding to mixer. That way it will mix in evenly without any extra mixing time. Then, if you need more color in the end, you could add a little.

Stephanie

CMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMarie Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 14

i colored white cake to make the pink floyd cake in my photos. what i did was pretty easy, but i had like 6 layer, i used one cup of cake mix and a few drops od regular food coloring for the easy stuff then used gels for the more custom colors, also i hand mixed the colors

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 14

I color my batter all the time for cakes. People get a real kick out of it. I only use Americolor and have never had any problems. I have a standard cake (glamour girl bag) for a corporate client that I always do a 6 color tie dye for and it always comes out really cool looking. I mix all my colors by hand in separate bowls, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with your flat cake.

Keep trying...it's gotta work out for you.

-Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%