What Filling Goes With A Lemon Cake?

Decorating By babygreen Updated 10 Jun 2016 , 10:40pm by annie1992

babygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygreen Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:09am
post #1 of 41

what do you think is the best filling for a lemon cake? i'm making a cake for tuesday and decided to experiment, since there were no ideas given. thanks!

40 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:13am
post #2 of 41

Hummmm...lemon curd???

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:14am
post #3 of 41

raspberry maybe? lemond curd sounds good too....mmmmmmmm

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:18am
post #4 of 41

I love Raspberry with lemon!

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:19am
post #5 of 41

I would torte it in 3 and have a lemon curd mixed with buttercream or Pastry pride for the #1 and #3 and rasberrry for the #2 middle layer...

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:26am
post #6 of 41

I often use seedless raspberry jam then spread lemon curd right over that. Remember to put a dam close to the edge so none of that yummy filling seeps out.

babygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygreen Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:26am
post #7 of 41

ooh they all sound good. what is Pastry Pride?

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:56am
post #8 of 41

get the handi snack pudding packs in vanilla and lemon. mix them together and fill your cake w/ it. YUMMMMMM

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:59am
post #9 of 41

ok, this may sound stupid, but what is lemon curd and how do you make it

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:59am
post #10 of 41

i always use lemon pudding. it is very yummy : )

ameena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameena Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:00am
post #11 of 41

Babygreen, could you share the recipe? I'm looking for a lemon poppyseed cake but could go with a lemon cake.

princess.gif

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:09am
post #12 of 41

Nothing goes with lemon better in my opinion than blueberry filling. Think blueberry tart, YUM! I have a recipe for the filling if you would like to have it. You can PM me or I could do it in this thread. Let me know - it taste really yummy with the White Almond Sour Cream cake that floats around CC, also.

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:20am
post #13 of 41

The only wedding cake I've done was with lemon pie filling. Practice cake was with lemon curd but it wasn't any better than pie filling and it was more expensive. And if you want it more lemony then you can mix in some Crystal light lemon drink mix or SF lemonade Koolaid. This keeps it from getting too runny like when you add lemon juice. Just don't use too much!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:29am
post #14 of 41

I have used cream cheese frosting and also seedless boysenberry mixed with bcf as fillings. Both have gotten raves.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:40am
post #15 of 41

If you are looking for something really easy and inexpensive...try mixing some lemon extract with some Duncan Hines lemon frosting. I did this for a wedding cake and everyone loved it. icon_smile.gif

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 3:32am
post #16 of 41

pasty pride is a whip cream type frosting that can be out at room temperature for about 6 hours. They sell it at Smart & Final stores. There is a product that is similar made by Riches.

I'd love to see the blueberry filling recipe on this thread@@!!!!! yum.....

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 3:45am
post #17 of 41

I made a lemon cake torted with lemon curd and swiss meringue buttercream...and I tell ya, I made it just because my family had a craving for lemon and It's all gone! It was so yummy It was like heaven, and I said to my husband, I can sell this! Maybe wedding cake layers and baby shower cakes.

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 3:58am
post #18 of 41

Blackberry curd goes wonderfully with lemon cake.

I've also just used lemon curd, but I like the contrasting flavor of blackberry.

The blueberry sounds yummy too; I'll have to try that!

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 4:27am
post #19 of 41

curd, what is curd

traci Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 41

My neighbor that bakes cakes told me that she uses lemon curd and has always liked it. I tried to find it at Walmart and could not find it.

Does anyone know what section of the store it is in????

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #21 of 41

I'm pretty sure the recipe for Lemon Curd is in the recipe section here on CC. It should be under the "Fillings" catergory. HTH! Happy baking! icon_smile.gif

traci Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:46pm
post #22 of 41

Thanks.

Does anyone know if it can be purchased ready-made??? My friend said she got it at Kroger...but I was unable to find it there too. I must be looking in the wrong area! icon_biggrin.gif

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #23 of 41

Oooh, that sounds yummy. I love just about anything lemon!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:50pm
post #24 of 41

Blueberry Filling:

4 cups fresh blueberries
2 TBS. butter
2 TBS. Lemon juice
2 TBS. Creme de Cassis (optional)
1 cup sugar whisked with 4 TBS. cornstarch

Combine butter, juice and sugar/cornstarch in saucepan, cook over med. heat until butter is melted. Add blueberries and bring to a boil just until the berries start to burst and filling thickens. Stir in the berry liquor. Chill before using.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:53pm
post #25 of 41

I had a recipe for a lemon cake that was garnished with Raspberries (not a decorated cake mind you) but the flavors went well together.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 3:09pm
post #26 of 41

You can look for premade lemon curd near the jellies and jams in the grocery store. If you don't find it there look at some specialty stores like Whole Foods Market, Cost Plus World Market, etc.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 3:10pm
post #27 of 41

I always find ready-made lemon curd at my local supermarket in the jam & jelly section.

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 3:21pm
post #28 of 41

Lemon curd recipe from Alton Brown:

5 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
4 lemons, zested and juiced
1 stick butter, cut into pats and chilled

Add enough water to a medium saucepan to come about 1-inch up the side. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium size metal bowl and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute. Measure citrus juice and if needed, add enough cold water to reach 1/3 cup. Add juice and zest to egg mixture and whisk smooth. Once water reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and place bowl on top of saucepan. (Bowl should be large enough to fit on top of saucepan without touching the water.) Whisk until thickened, approximately 8 minutes, or until mixture is light yellow and coats the back of a spoon. Remove promptly from heat and stir in butter a piece at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding the next. Remove to a clean container and cover by laying a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

I'm making a cake for my son (he wants lemon), so I'm going to try this for the filling. Will let you guys know.

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 10:40pm
post #29 of 41

I usually do Pastry Pride and then fold in either lemon curd, or fresh lemon juice and a bit of lemon zest! YUM-O

littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 12:53am
post #30 of 41

Rasperry, Strawberry, Key Lime, Coconut, Rum, Hmm, better yet, Coconut Rum filling. Yum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%