Fondant

Decorating By Lippy Updated 14 Jun 2005 , 5:53am by nernan

Lippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lippy Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have a "dumb" question regarding fondant. I have NEVER used this yet...but I have to for a wedding cake. Do you put b/c frosting under the fondant, or just the fondant?? Also, any does and dont's with using this stuff??

6 replies
eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, you need to put icing underneath so it will adhere. You can use any icing, buttercream recommended, or even Corn Syrup wil do, but Whipped Cream NO..

Lippy Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks!!! It will be fun to try this!! Also, do you store this at room temperature or in the fridge??

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, as eve said any buttercream, cornserup, or even jam like you would use to help crums on a cake will work. If you have never worked with fondant yet, you better start practising. Are you going to use crimper to decorate, then you will have to roll out your fondant a little thick.
Hope this help.

Lippy Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 7

The cake is just going to be just plain white fondant with a silver ribbon around it, so how thick should I make the fondant?? I do plan to practice this weekend for the first time.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 13 Jun 2005 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 7

..about a 1/4 of an inch should be fine. Any thinner then that and you have to worry about tearing it. Make sure you take pics!!!

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 5:53am
post #7 of 7

make it 1/4 inch, i tried to be smart and get a bit thinner to make it go that bit further, it ripped up the sides and had to start all over again. Don't cheat is my advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%