What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By calla74 Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 5:45pm by calla74

calla74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calla74 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 8

I made chocolate numbers for a birthday cake that was for a party yesterday and every number that I made wound up discolored once they dried. I used Wilton chocolate candy melts and I did some on parchment and some on saran wrap but that didn't seem to make a difference. Only the side that was on paper/saran discolored. Unfortunately, I reversed the numbers thinking that the smooth side would look nicer (I did like the smoothness just not the odd discoloration). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't figure out how to attach a picture of it here but if you need to see what I mean you can see them on the chocolate square cake in my album.

Thanks!

7 replies
nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 8

I've never worked with chocolate.... sorry. But here is a bump!

To attach a picture you have to scroll down and you'll see an attachment posting control panel at the end of the page, click add attachment, then browse in your computer ... finally submit.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 8

I usually use chocolate molds when making numbers. I have read that it is a good idea to use parchment paper when using chocolate.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the chocolate was too hot.

Hopefully someone else can help...another bump for you. icon_smile.gif

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 8

The only time I had that happen was where I didn't tap the cookie sheet on the table to get the air bubbles out. I also use those clear sheets that are used for overhead projectors now. The ct's come out real nice on those.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 8

Traci is right. Your chocolate was too hot. It blooms/discolours when the chocolate is taken too high in temperature.

Next time, melt 2/3 of the chocolate you need in a glass bowl in the microwave on medium temp control...or over a double-boiler on the stove...and then toss in the last 1/3 and stir it slowly until the last pieces have melted. The chocolate temperature will be brought down by the addition of the last portion and it is way less likely to bloom or discolour. You can then pipe it or pour it into your molds. thumbs_up.gif

calla74 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:42am
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll have to try again soon.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 6:30am
post #7 of 8

If chocolate is cooled too quickly it can also discolour. If you can it's best to let the chocolate cool slowly on a worktop before transferring to somewhere cool to store

calla74 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks MissBaritone - I just let mine cool on the counter overnight but was thinking the next time I try I would see if putting them in the fridge would help. You just helped me avert another bad experience with chocolate! Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%