Best Frosting For Wedding Cakes

Decorating By Wandootie Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 4:25pm by Leashlar

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 23

Just poking around to get everyone's feelings on what is the best frosting/icing for wedding cakes....SMBC, IMBC or the old Crisco/butter/powdered sugar recipes?

Just wanting opinios from different folks as to what you like to use and why.

Have a great day, all!

Wandootie

22 replies
gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 23

Hi--I love the BC icing--tints great--spreads great and easy to decorate with! Holds up to our heat & humidity too! icon_smile.gif

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 23

I have no experience with fondant, but I like to use the Wilton Snow White Buttercream recipe...but instead of adding almond flavor...I use a French Vanilla Blend...I havent had anyone complain icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 23

I use a variation of IMBC on wedding cakes 99% of the time. It is so much more sophisticated a taste that powdered sugar icings, and it holds better at room temp than swiss or french meringue BC.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 23

Personally, I prefer the Mousseline Buttercream with white chocolate added (from "The Cake Bible"), and here's why:
- It spreads easily;
- seems to have fewer air bubbles;
- smooths nicely;
- keeps well, even in a fair amount of heat and humidity;
- I can make roses with it;
- it pipes wonderfully;
- it has a phenomenal flavor ...

I always tell my Brides that it's a great "supporting cast player" ... it won't compete in your mouth for attention with the cake, instead, it rounds out the flavors of most cakes, making for a really nice taste.

Also, it has a better mouth feel in that, since butter melts at 88* and shortening at something like 96* or so, it will not tend to leave that greasy "film" in your mouth that a shortening-based icing will.

It's not overly sweet, and it's easy to make.

A winner in my book!

HTH,

Odessa

Wandootie Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 23

Thanks, Odessa!

Would you mind sharing your recipe for this?

Wandootie

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 23

I use High Humidity buttercream. I posted it in the recipe section. It holds up so well that it is the only thing I use.

Val

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

I use a variation of IMBC on wedding cakes 99% of the time. It is so much more sophisticated a taste that powdered sugar icings, and it holds better at room temp than swiss or french meringue BC.

What is IMBC? Could you give me the link to it?

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguilbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

What is IMBC? Could you give me the link to it?

IMBC is Italian Meringue Buttercream. The Mousseline Buttercream that abodessa suggests is an excellent version of it. I found this recipe for a small batch version of it:

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=913

I make it more than twice that amount at a time when I make it. PM me if you would like a high yield recipe.

aobodessa Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:45am
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandootie

Thanks, Odessa!

Would you mind sharing your recipe for this?

Wandootie

Here is the recipe as I have it set up in my personal recipe book:

Buttercream Mousse

Ingredients:
single   double
recipe  recipe
1 lb.  2 lb.  unsalted butter, soft but cool (65° F)
1 c.  2 c.  sugar
¼ c.  ½ c.  water
5 large  10 large  egg whites
½ + 1/8 t.  1 ¼ t.  cream of tartar
3 oz.  6 oz.  liqueur (Grand Marnier, eau-de-vie)

Preparation:
Preferred:  beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Set aside in a cool place.

Directions:
  Beat egg whites until foamy, add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining ¼ c. (1/2 c.) sugar to the stiff peak stage.
  Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan (pref. Nonstick) heat ¾ c. (1 ½ c.) sugar and the water, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbling. Boil the syrup until a candy thermometer registers 248° to 250° F. (firm-ball stage).
  Pour the boiling syrup into the egg whites in a steady stream while the beaters are running. Do not let the syrup heat the beaters or they will spin in onto the sides of the bowl. Lower speed to medium and continue beating up to 2 minutes or until cool. If not completely cool, continue beating on lowest speed.
  Beat in the butter at medium speed 1 T. at a time.
  Lower the speed slightly and drizzle in the liqueur. Place in an airtight bowl. Rebeat lightly from time to time to maintain silky texture.

VARIATIONS: See Chocolate Mousseline, White Chocolate Mousseline, Fruit Mousseline.

The chocolate and white chocolate variations: melt 6 oz. of good quality chocolate (or white chocolate) for a single batch (12 oz. for a double batch), cool until no longer warm but still liquid, and add to the icing.

I have a few cautions: make sure your ingredients (the hot syrup, melted chocolate, etc.) do not just hit the top of the whip attachment or they will spin out to the edges of the bowl and not mix in. That's very important. If you cannot pour into the mixture in a steady stream, I suggest pouring about 1/3 of the mixture into the mixture in the bowl, then whip on high for about 15 seconds. Add another 1/3, mix again for about 15 seconds, and do this with the final 1/3. At that point, continue with the mixing directions as indicated.

If anyone has any questions, PM me and I will be happy to address your concerns as best I can.

Odessa

Wandootie Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 23

Many thanks, Odessa, and to the rest of you.

Take care!

Wanda

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 23

odessa, how many cups of icing will your recipe yeild?how many cakes will it frost? is it a bright white icing? if not can you tint it white?thanks for your recipe

Wandootie Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:44pm
post #13 of 23

Yes, I'm interested in knowing this as well....how many cups and can it be whitened?

Thanks, again!

Wanda

aobodessa Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:53pm
post #14 of 23

Okay, everyone, I made a little boo-boo icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif(God, I'm just so embarrassed) ...

to add chocolate to this icing: for a single batch, you would add 3 oz. of melted chocolate, and for a double batch, 6 oz. of melted chocolate. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
This is why I have done all the math for myself ahead of time and put it in my personal recipe book that way.

Beyond that:

No, this is NOT a pure white icing. I recommend that you beat your butter for a quite a while before you start; this may lighten it a bit.

I have not tried to "whiten" the icing chemically. I just tell my Brides that if they want a "pure" white icing, they will need to use something else. This icing comes out to be the color of "candlelight-colored satin" when done right. Any liquour you use will also alter the color (a beautiful taupe if you use Kahlua, for instance), unless your liquour is clear. But taste is everything in my book, and most Brides are happy to use it on their cake, even if they are wearing white. The color is going to appear darker or lighter depending on the lighting conditions in the room anyway, so why not go for the flavor?

I want to say the yield is somewhere around 9 cups ? icon_confused.gif maybe .... I know it's listed in the book, but I don't go by that. I can use this to ice maybe 2 average-sized cakes (2-layer, 7" - 8" or so) with borders and some design work without much difficulty. I do not add 1" of icing to each side, though, so keep that in mind. Generally, I can look at an order for a wedding cake and determine how many batches of icing I will need to use ... once in a while I just blow it and make way too much, but it freezes well, so that's a plus.

Another plus: although it seems pretty soft, and it will not crust, it will make a beautiful rose that will stand up quite well. To make roses hold even longer, chill them once they're made; the butter (and chocolate if you used it) will firm up nicely and they can be handled easier to put them on the cake also.

My best recommendation is to try it first, see if you like it and then work your way out.

Lastly, if you chill or freeze this icing, remember to bring it completely to room temperature before you stir it or it will break down. Once it breaks down, it is difficult (and sometimes impossible) to get it back to the proper consistency. This icing can get "spongy" when it sits, so stir it frequently as you are working with it. But it's a dream to work with, so these little idosynchracies are nothing to deal with as far as I'm concerned.

HTH,

Odessa

rbatia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbatia Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:03pm
post #15 of 23

aobodessa , you are an angel
thank you for sharing and for your time

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:22pm
post #16 of 23

thanks for your time. your info was helpful. i'll definitly give it a go.

Wandootie Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:49pm
post #17 of 23

Yes, thank you soooo much, odessa...you are so helpful! thumbs_up.gif

Wanda

Joanie4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanie4464 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:27pm
post #18 of 23

Sounds great...but in this heat and humidity will it hold onto the cake and keep it's consistancy?

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:44pm
post #19 of 23

Sounds wonderful!

ericablondegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericablondegirl Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:59pm
post #20 of 23

sounds great...can't wait to try this out.

aobodessa Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:19pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanie4464

Sounds great...but in this heat and humidity will it hold onto the cake and keep it's consistancy?

I've not had too much difficulty with that. I would recommend you first put on a thin crumb coat layer, then chill it. Follow with your regular icing regimen. Should hold well. If you're concerned about "melting", then chill the decorated cake very well (but don't freeze) ... it will take longer for the whole thing to come to "room temperature", and hopefully you won't have a run-away-icing situation on your hands.

It's been 90* and high humidity here all week, but so far no problems for me!

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. Let me know if you like this or not ... around here, people tell me it seems to compare to a Sam's Club whipped icing ... I wouldn't know, I'm not a Sam's Club shopper! icon_rolleyes.gif At any rate, it's going over pretty big with my Clients.

Odessa

iwalk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwalk Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:19pm
post #22 of 23

Help, I have tried this recipe twice and both times when I add the first tb of butter it deflates and turns in to a greasy mess. What am I doing wrong? Linda

Leashlar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leashlar Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 23

o prefer royal icing a special blend that allows it to be just slightly smoother thatn the hard stuff

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%