Questions About Fondant & Frosting Preferences.... Thank

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 14 Aug 2006 , 3:11am by cashley

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 7

I am basically a beginner and have some questions regarding fondant.... it tastes terrible but looks amazing, so do you all use it? Do you advise the brides/clients about the taste or assume they realize this?

Also, I am experimenting with different icings and I saw a reference to Crisco - do you all use a crisco based frosting for wedding cakes? Almost everyone tells me it is too sweet and grainy but trying to do decorations in other icings tend to not come out as nice as the buttercream... I was tempted to try an Italian Buttercream but the recipes called for TONS of butter and barely any sugar so I was skeptical and a bit cheap icon_redface.gif

I put the cart ahead of the horse and am now getting inquires about wedding cakes ( for next summer, thank goodness) but I have never done one! A mini- tiered is all I have done so I am going to start practicing and I just wanted some advice. I appreciate your time icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 7

You'll never really know for sure til you try them all out yourself. There are advantages and disadvantages to them all. I use a half Crisco/half butter buttercream and it is the favorite of most people. It is also versatile. The fondant is good for those "perfect" looking cakes, and it you've worried about taste, try the MMF on this site. It tastes much better than other fondants and is so easy! Italian Meringue buttercream is like the Cadillac (I guess these days it would be the Lexus) of buttercream, but you're right, it is all butter, melts extremely easily, and is more expensive and terribly rich. I would ask potential customers if they are familiar with these types before they chose. If they haven't tasted them before, have samples for them. They are definitely each unique in flavor and texture. Don't be intimidated by these! They are all wonderful, it just depends on the individual's own taste (bride and icing icon_smile.gif ).

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 7

I don't do anything except IMBC on my cakes. If people really want a bakery type icing there are about a million other places to get it.

There are good tasting fondants out there. I like choco-pan fondant, but there are other brands that have a good taste.

You are at an experimental stage. Like dydemus said, you've got to try different icings, different fondants, different recipes til you find the ones that you want to put out there as representing you.

Most of all, Don't be afraid to mess up a recipe. That is part of learning and perfecting our craft. I messed up IMBC at least twice when I was learning how to make it. Glad I didn't scrap it.

Also, when I do a fondant cake, it still has the buttercream underneath the fondant, so a customer is never giving up buttercream to get fondant.

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 7

personally i think buttercream tastes awful. i love fondant, never tried the wilton one, but the mmf recipe from this site is what i use and i think it's great. my boyfriend wishes i did all my cakes with fondant, and i hate having to put bc underneath it.

try mmf. and i wouldn't say to brides "oh, fondant looks great, but u'll hate the taste" not everyone does.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 7

I don't like any icing or fondant so have to go by what others like. When I made the MMF I never find it pulled off of the cake and people are amazed by the taste. You should try the MMF, you might be surprised how many people like this.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for all your advice! I will make some MMF right away and play with it. The one time I tried to make it homemade was not that recipe and I'm sure I made it wrong.

As for the buttercream, I have a "light" buttercream that I make that most people really like.... and I have a recipe that literally tastes like twinkie filling ( mainly for kids cakes since I think most adult palletes are more sophisticated ).

And darnnitt! I spent this whole weekend playing on this site instead of baking! icon_mad.gif It's just too fun!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 3:11am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

And darnnitt! I spent this whole weekend playing on this site instead of baking! icon_mad.gif It's just too fun!

But isn't that what we are suppose to have is fun doing this LOL icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%