Shaky Hands And Decorating

Decorating By msmanning2 Updated 12 Aug 2006 , 11:54pm by msmanning2

msmanning2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmanning2 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 8

I never realized how bad my hands shake until I was attempting my first chocolate transfer. Does anyone have any advice? Does one format work better than others for shaky hands? Thank you!
Michele

7 replies
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 8

I have a neck injury that will cause my right hand to shake at times pretty badly.

My one instructor has me use my left hand to guide my right hand. Also when I can I use something to hold the item I'm working on. Such as a rose and use both hands.

However, if you have shaking in both hands I'm not sure what you can do.

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 8

i have the same problem too..someone suggested using a wrist brace..never tried it yet so i do not know if it's effective..

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 8

This may be silly but do you drink coffee? I never realized how shaky I was until I started cake decorating and realized I simply could NOT drink my usual gallon of caffeine each morning if I was going to do a cake. Once I cut back, the shaking was much better. Of course, I still shake a bit - nerves... icon_redface.gif , I guess. It could even be other caffeine sources such as tea or diet Pepsi/Coke, etc....

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 8

Just a guess, but could it be a lack of self-confidence? Kind of like carrying a full coffee cup ... when you are watching the coffee and unsure if you're going to spill you're more likely to shake then when you walk with confidence.

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 8

or probably weakness of the hand..my hands shake when i am pressing the decorating bag or picking up and attaching small decor ( dragees, small flowers, etc.)

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 8

I have a genetic neuropathy and deal with weakness in my hands and shaking. I try to stay as relaxed as possible and use both hands to do the work--caffeine is bad. I have good days and bad and try to do as much on "better" days. What is funny is my writing with icing is neat--the real thing on paper forget it! The more I worry about what I am doing the worse my hands get.

msmanning2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmanning2 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 8

THank you all. I think a lot of it is nerves and lack of use of those muscles!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%