Quick Help...please...cake Storage

Decorating By ashlymomx2 Updated 12 Aug 2006 , 7:19pm by candocakes

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a 12x18 sheet cake for a friend's daughter's b-day tomorrow. I wanted to make the cake today because I have not yet made one this big and I am putting a fbct on it and an edible image. If I make the whole cake today (including putting the edible picture on) will it be okay refrigerated until tomorrow? icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif

9 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 10

Your cake will be fine. I have done this quite a few times, no problem. I would just wrap in very well in saran wrap to keep it from drying out. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 10

It will be fine!! Just make sure you seal the cake good with your icing.

Cindy

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieinMO

Your cake will be fine. I have done this quite a few times, no problem. I would just wrap in very well in saran wrap to keep it from drying out. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Thanks charlieinMO! Next question...how do I cover with saran wrap and not mess up frosting. I am using a 1/2 inch thick wood board (covered of course) to hold cake on.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 10

Ok, I'm a dork!! I completely missed the part about putting the image on today! I WOULD NOT wrap in tightly in saran wrap! Sorry about that. Just like ashleymomx2 said, make sure you seal the cake with your icing! SOOO sorry about that!!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 10

I have left cakes boxed sitting overnight and they are perfectly fine. If you need to cover it an upside down laundry hamper or large box works great.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 10

The edible image will be fine if you keep the cake covered and refrigerated. I always refrigerate my edible image cakes in the warmer months cause left out at room temp overnight or longer and the images can become really shiny or even bubble. I put mine in a cake box and then cover the box with plastic wrap.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 10

My cake teacher told us that a completely iced cake will stay fresh for 3 days. Good luck!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 10

I never wrap my cakes after they are decorated. And I do not put them in the fridge either. If they are sealed well with icing, they will last just fine.

candocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candocakes Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyladyhelen

I never wrap my cakes after they are decorated. And I do not put them in the fridge either. If they are sealed well with icing, they will last just fine.

I don't wrap or refridge my cakes either. Once the cake is covered in icing, the cake is sealed and stays fresh. I do cover the whole cake with a large box or something just to keep anything from getting on it. Besides that its a big "CAKE CAUTION" to others in the house. I have never had a problem with doing it this way

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%