Cool Cookie Bargin

Baking By Missyleigh Updated 1 Jul 2007 , 5:04am by purplebutterfly1234

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 11:57am
post #1 of 18

I found at a yard sale aa cookie press that is electric. It looks like it is from the '70's but it works perfectly. So my question is does anybody ever use NFSC in a cookie press or what recipies are good for this? Has anybody got one of the presses . I never knew they existied. I only gave .50! icon_lol.gif

17 replies
chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 18

You need a very soft cookie dough for a cookie press (I have three of them!)

My favourite is whipped shortbread:

2 cups butter (at room temperature)
1 cup icing sugar (or a bit more, if you want it sweeter)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

Whip butter and icing sugar with electric mixer until it appears almost white. Slowly blend in flour and icing sugar.
Bake at 275F for 20-25 minutes or until golden at the edges.

The smell when you bake these is unbelievable, and they just melt in your mouth.

If you are using your press, just fill it with the dough and press the desired shapes onto ungreased cookie sheets. You can tint the dough, if you want. Remember never to chill the dough or it won't go through the press. You can decorate with sprinkles or dragees before baking, or glaze them after they cool. Or, you don't have to decorate at all! (but why not?)

If you do a search of any "spritz" cookies, these are all cookie recipes specifically for cookie presses.

Some presses can be a little frustrating - just keep trying and eventually you'll have some of the prettiest cookies around!

Good luck, and enjoy it! What a great find!

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 18

thanks- I have never seen a cookie recipie that called for just powdered sugar it sounds really good ! Do you not put vanilla or anything in it?

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 18

Nope, no vanilla. True shortbread is just butter, sugar, and flour. The icing sugar and cornstarch just give it a more delicate texture, and it really blends into the butter. These just truly melt in your mouth.

My great-grandmother's shortbread recipe is even simpler, though it's a roll-out dough. It's just this:

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups flour

Cream the butter and sugar, then blend in the flour. Roll and cut. Bake at 300F for 15-20 min or until slightly browned on the edges.

To me, these taste like Christmas! Our traditional Christmas cookies. My sister and I would each get a sheet of our own to decorate, which we would do, elaborately, placing individual sprinkles and dragees "just so" in an attempt to outdo each other. They were all beautiful and they were all delicious.

Hmmm - now I'm-a feeling like shortbread!

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:13am
post #5 of 18

Great recipes! =)

RkRamirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RkRamirez Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:24am
post #6 of 18

My sister got me a cookie press for Xmas last year. I love it. She said I could open it early so I could make cookies. I really like it. It was very easy to use.
The one she got me was like $40 or $50 and that was on sale!!!

Rosie

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:28am
post #7 of 18

I have a cookie press too and those little cookies that come out of there are my hubby absolute fav!! I use the recipe that came with the press (Mine's manual icon_sad.gif ). Its very similar to chocolate's but with regular sugar. Man, they are good!

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:41am
post #8 of 18

OK, so this is NOT a spritz cookie press? I bought a press from Pampered Chef bc I love spritz cookies. The press my mom has is the metal kind that you twist the plunger with a knob but we always chilled the dough bc it gave a more defined cookie (less spreading.) Anyway, I can never get my Pampered Chef one to produce like the old fashioned one I grew up using. Should I go with the shortbread recipe listed? Is that the problem or is it my spritz recipe or is it me???

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:19am
post #9 of 18

I do the spritz... maybe the same spritz recipe might work with your cookie press??

Gretta Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 11:52am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

I do the spritz... maybe the same spritz recipe might work with your cookie press??

I have tried the spritz recipe that I got from my mom several times. Even tried it side by side, her press vs. mine. Her cookies came out perfectly, mine spread. icon_mad.gif The only difference being the presses (one very old, inexpensive metal press and my new, $$, Pampered Chef plastic press...) Taste wise they were the same, but from her press they were perfectly shaped. I gave up on my press years ago and since PC won't take it back w/o a receipt icon_mad.gif it sits in my cupboard tucked waaaay in the back. I'll have to dig it out when I get home and try this shortbread recipe.

Btw- people who ate my spread out spritz cookies, loved them! I just know they should look much prettier than they do. icon_sad.gif

JessicaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaM Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 18

Gretta--

Don't feel bad, it's the cookie press, it's not you! I got that PC cookie press, too, was so excited to get it, couldn't wait to use it, I was getting it cheap (or free maybe?) for hosting a party. Then once I tried and tried using it I couldn't wait to get rid of it! I had such a hard time w/ it. My PC consultant gave me her recipes, said they were no fail, they'd work perfectly for me...but they didn't! So I gave it to a friend when she said she wanted to buy one, and gave her fair warning of the grief I had with it!

I got another press last year as a gift (not PC!) and haven't even tried it yet, guess I'm a little intimidated!

purplebutterfly1234 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 18

Missyleigh,
I am so glad that you got such a great deal! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretta

OK, so this is NOT a spritz cookie press? I bought a press from Pampered Chef bc I love spritz cookies. The press my mom has is the metal kind that you twist the plunger with a knob but we always chilled the dough bc it gave a more defined cookie (less spreading.) Anyway, I can never get my Pampered Chef one to produce like the old fashioned one I grew up using. Should I go with the shortbread recipe listed? Is that the problem or is it my spritz recipe or is it me???

I've been wanting one of the Wilton cookie press type things. What is the difference between the spritz cookie press and a regular cookie press? Is it the shape of the disc used for the cookie, or are they entirely different?icon_redface.gif

The Wilton one looks like it would be so easy for Christmas time to whip out a bunch of cookies! thumbs_up.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 18

I have a battery powered cookie press. I use it every christmas. Every time I"m at the thrift store I look for more shape disks for it. I found Sesame Street disks last time. I can't wait to use them.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:48am
post #14 of 18

Sesame Street discs?! How cool! I didn't know those even existed!!! What other cool ones exist?

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 10:30am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbenmom

Sesame Street discs?! How cool! I didn't know those even existed!!! What other cool ones exist?

The sesame street disks were with the whole cookie press that had cookie monster on the handle. The tube was broken and I talked the thrift store into selling me just the disks! So I have Elmo, Big Bird and Cookie Monster, A, B, C, & 1, 2, 3. I haven't tried them yet. It also had a few standard ones - tree, etc.
I usually fill the bottom of my christmas cookie boxes with the spritz cookies then fancy ones on top.

Gretta Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:22pm
post #16 of 18

purplebutterfly1234-- I don't think they are different presses (someone correct me if I am wrong), I mean, there are cookie presses... period. The differences are in the quality of the press, selection of discs for various shapes and the types of recipes. The biggest difference between my mom's and mine is that hers is metal, which would keep the chilled spritz dough cooler longer. Hers also has a hand operated, "screw-down" type plunger. (Sorry, don't know how else to describe it.) PC is plastic, it "clicks" (like a caulking gun) as the dough is expelled so there is not consistent pressure. My question was in response to someone writing that they did not chill their shortbread dough so I thought that might be a recipe that would resurrect my press?!?

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 5:02pm
post #17 of 18

Can't help with the question, but you guys have inspired me to dig out the old press and get to it! (That whipped shortbread sounds divine.)

purplebutterfly1234 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:04am
post #18 of 18

Thanks Gretta,

That helped! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%