Wilton Cake Release Vs Homemade?

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 14 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm by pilesoflaundry

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:06am
post #1 of 29

Hi girls I have been using Wilton's cake release for my cakes and LOVE IT but I have also read that you can make your own. Does anyone know how and does it work as good as Wilton's it's getting expensive but I don't want to sacrifice the convenience and "never fails" of Wilton's. icon_biggrin.gif

28 replies
Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:27am
post #2 of 29

I found a recipe on here last year that was just equal parts of oil + crisco + flour. Worked great for me for cakes and breads.

I just searched the recipes and this came up...a little less oil than the other 2 ingredients. I wonder why it was changed.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1963-0-Cake-Release.html

theecakelady47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theecakelady47 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:35am
post #3 of 29

I am a fan of Bakers Joy.........used it for a long time. My grease and flour days came to a scretching hault! Never fails me! Not all that expensive either, and easy to find in the grocery store. Brenda

casebit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casebit Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:36am
post #4 of 29

I use the cake release that Kelrak mentioned and it works just great! I haven't had a cake stick yet!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:38am
post #5 of 29

I am an old fashion crisco, flour and parchment paper gal. The Wilton Cake release had a funny flavor to me, although nobody else seem to notice it! haha!
I don't mind the crisco/flour fun. Its the parchment paper I hate doing...I go thorugh tons of it!

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:50am
post #6 of 29

i noticed it loriemoms! icon_wink.gif ...i think it is because of the smell and i sort of imagine it in my tastebuds...but i use it anyway..never fails me..

notjustcake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 1:07am
post #7 of 29

I hate the whole parchment thing it got old fast and the paper is expensive and it's all too time consuming. I liked the cake release but it is expensive too, so I thought I look for other ways to do it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 1:40am
post #8 of 29

I was using baker's joy spray and it worked well, but it was getting expensive.

Since finding the recipe for homemade cake release, I won't ever go back to the old way (Crisco and flour) or the expensive way, Bakers Joy, etc.

For my nordicware fluted pans, I find that using the homemade cake release followed with a dusting of cracker crumbs produces releasable cakes with almost no loss of detail. icon_biggrin.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 6:36am
post #9 of 29

I like the homemade which is the equal parts of shortning, vegetable oil and flour. I just use a pastry brush to apply. My cakes always come out without problems, besides it goes a long way and is less expensive. I forgot to mention to mix all in a processer until smooth.

notjustcake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 11:47am
post #10 of 29

The homemade one can I make lots and save it in a jar?

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 11:56am
post #11 of 29

2 c. Crisco and 1 c. all purpose flour ... mix 'til well blended. I store mine in a very clean, left over Cool Whip tub. Brush on your pan using a pastry brush....nothing will stick and it's incredibly cheap ! Last a very long time, too. No oil needed

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 11:57am
post #12 of 29

By the way, I always double the recipe .... 4 c. Crisco, 2 c. flour, and it makes a bunch ... just store in an airtight container in a cool place

notjustcake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:10pm
post #13 of 29

Thanks for the tips and the recipes

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:36pm
post #14 of 29

I use the crisco, flour and oil mix - keep it in a tupperware container in the cupboard (mine never lasts a long time, I bake quite a bit!) I would think it would be good for quite a while though. NOTHING sticks with it, and it works like a charm!

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 29

I started out buying the Wilton cake release, but then found the recipe on here as well. Now I just refill the old Wilton bottles with the homemade stuff and keep it until I need it, and it works just as well.

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:08pm
post #16 of 29

I have to give a vote for the home-made coating as well. I'll never go back to a ready-made. I use 1/3 cup flour, crisco and oil. I beat the flour and crisco with a hand mixer until smooth, add the oil and beat until well blended. Store in the frig in a small glass jar. When ready to use, brush on with a pastry brush and I'm done. The sides and bottoms of my cake layers are always tender and beautifully brown.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:19pm
post #17 of 29

I'm going to have to try the recipe. I've been doing the old fashioned method of crisco and flour. The last cake I made though stuck a tiny bit- it was a little hard to get it out in 1 piece.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:23pm
post #18 of 29

I use that Crisco baking spray. But......... it costs about the same as Wilton, doesn't it? I just use it because I can get it at the grocery store, and I have to go to Michael's to get the Wilton.......

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:42pm
post #19 of 29

I switched over to the home made last year and wouldn't go back. I di use parchment on the bottom of all my cake pans. I won't risk having my cake bottoms stick. The home made release gives a nice soft golden finish to the sides and I rearly ever have to crumb coat. I filled an empty Wilton cake release bottle with the stuff and store the rest. Squeeze it out and spread with a paper towel. Couldn't be easier.

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 6:04pm
post #20 of 29

I make my own. Equal parts of oil, flour and crisco. I usaully do a 1/4 cup of each and store it in the fridge. It works great. I haven't had a cake stick yet. It is super cheap to make. icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 11:51pm
post #21 of 29

Once I tried the homemade cake release (about 3 years ago now) I haven't looked back. I have the ingredients on hand... it takes me 2 mins to make if I run out. And I use it to grease ALL of my pans-baking and cooking..... It is great!

I make different amounts each time depending on what I know I have coming up. I have done as much as 1 1/2C of each ingredient and as little as 1/8C. It doesn't go bad, but sometimes I know it would just be sitting around so I don't make as much.

Definitely try it! I keep it in a tupperware container and use a pastry brush to grease all my pans. I am also one who used parchment no matter what b/c i don't like to chance anything sticking to the bottom.

Leily

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 12:56am
post #22 of 29

I use parchment and Pam on all my cakes - even the 6" ones. The paper is really, really cheap at a local discount store and I never have to worry about the bottom sticking.... crisco and flour is a pain and I have never had a problem with the spray Pam.

* However, I use crisco/flour on all bundts & shaped pans with a bunch of nooks and crannies *

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 11:43am
post #23 of 29

I use generous crisco and light flour, it has never failed me yet. I am intrigued by the crisco and flour MIX. You gals are just so clever!! icon_biggrin.gif

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:23pm
post #24 of 29

My wilton teacher found this in one of her old wilton books and gave me the recipe and I haven't bought any since
1 1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour

I store mine in the old wilton cake release bottle shake when needed and squirt into my pan, works like a charm.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:27pm
post #25 of 29

So do the recipes that you all use end up as a paste or more liquid like?

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:35pm
post #26 of 29

Mine is a liquid, you melt the crisco and the oil keeps it from going hard again.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 8:39pm
post #27 of 29

I use homemade as well.
An alternative to the parchment paper is wax paper. Wax paper won't burn up when you use it for cakes, but if you use it to line something where it will be exposed- like a cookie sheet to do cookies, then it will burn.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:35am
post #28 of 29

Melt the crisco? I've never thought of that. I just mixed it all up by hand. The food processor idea was interesting too. I stored it in the cupboard and it lasted a long time, but I think the fridge is a better place for it.

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMarieMTV

So do the recipes that you all use end up as a paste or more liquid like?

I just tried the homemade recipe yesterday and I left it as a paste, no problem. I don't melt crisco or butter before when I would do butter/crisco then flour,didn't see the need to do it now when I mixed them together.

So much easier, I will never go back to the old way of doing it. Crisco works so much better than the butter I sometimes used to use and it's a lot less mess than using flour right after. I had a round cake just pop right out of the pan, I didn't losen the sides either. Generally I do but figured for the first time I would see how well it really works. thumbs_up.gif

I don't like pam and similar sprays because after awhile they can leave a buildup on the pans, at least the cookie sheets. I never tried it on my cake pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%