Question About Basketweave.

Decorating By Barbend Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 12:40pm by blessBeckysbaking

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 15

My wilton course instructor said you had to divide mark your cakes into 32 equal divisions to do a basketweave on your cake. She said it could only be 32 or multiples of 32 (64, 96). Is this correct ? I have to do a basket weave on a 18X12 and a 9X13 cake and wanted to make sure before I started. It seems to me that if you divide it into equal even number sections that would work.

14 replies
mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 15

Uhh....I don't even divide my cake for basketweave! I did on the night of the Course II class, but since then, I just do it as I go along. If you check out the "heart basketweave" cake in my photos...I just did it by eye!

I think dividing it equally will be just fine!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 15

Mine would probably turn out worse if I divided it up. haha.

I just do it, and if it happens not to turn out perfect at the very end, then I fake it and call it the back. haha. Nobody ever notices, ever! I have a tiered cake with fruit on top that I did basketweave on in my photos and that's how I did those.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 15

Don't know about the dividing part - I just start in the back of the cake and work my around the cake and make space adjustments as I get closer to the end of the basket weave.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I just do it, and if it happens not to turn out perfect at the very end, then I fake it and call it the back. haha. Nobody ever notices, ever! I have a tiered cake with fruit on top that I did on in my photos and that's how I did those.

Kitagrl - that basketweave cake looks perfect to me! icon_wink.gif

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks!!!! I think I will just wing it and adjust at the end as needed.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:

I just do it, and if it happens not to turn out perfect at the very end, then I fake it and call it the back. haha.

Ditto! icon_biggrin.gif

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:

I just do it, and if it happens not to turn out perfect at the very end, then I fake it and call it the back. haha.

Me three!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 15

I do mark my cakes for basketweave so that I stay consistent. But any even number will work out fine.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 1:37am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thems_my_kids

Quote:

Me three!!

Me four!

I start in the back and if it doesnt' come out even, who cares .... it's in the back. Unless I was putting it in a competition where perfection absolutely counts, I won't take the time to count out, measure and divide a cake for basketweave.

I luv doing basketweave. My biz card actually has this basketweave photo on it. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=199753

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 15

I.ve never marked a cake for basket weave and most seem to turn out ok. I've done round, oval and sheet cakes. I did an unconventional wedding cake for a couple that turned out great for a sheet cake. It's listed in my photo's. I can usually make an adjustment when i get to the back, but like everyone says, it's the back. Corners can be a little tricky though.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 10:03pm
post #12 of 15

I didn't even know you were supposed to do that! lol I love basket weave!

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:03am
post #13 of 15

I learned by marking the cake with the flower formers a small cake the small former and mid the mid size cakes and so on it always come out even all the way around and my lines stay level too.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:52pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessBeckysbaking

I learned by marking the cake with the flower formers a small cake the small former and mid the mid size cakes and so on it always come out even all the way around and my lines stay level too.

That's a good tip! I'll try it. I'm just to undisciplined (lazy!) to measure and stuff on a play cake. If I were doing it for someone else I would want it even so it's good to have a method. My 10 year old's birthday is coming up and she asked for a three tier pink basket weave cake. The one she picked out would feed 150 people! Obviously we'll be scaling that one down! lol

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:40pm
post #15 of 15

yeah that would have to come way down ...lol when mommies makes cake we order the good stuff and lots of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%