Bct/piping Gel Please Help

Decorating By Crakerz01 Updated 12 Aug 2006 , 3:10pm by Kelrak

Crakerz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crakerz01 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone. I am new to cake decorating and I really want to design a cake with a character or animal on it. I see everyone has these amazing cakes with cartoons or other animals on it. How do you get them to look so good? I have tried a FBCT once and that was a giant, lumpy mess. I have briefly heard about the toothpick method but I have no ideas what that is. Also I heard you can use clear piping gel to trace an outline. Can someone please tell me what the easiest method is and exactly how you do it. Keep in mind I have decorated only about 3 cakes. Thanks so much!

15 replies
SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 16

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the FBCT technique. Of course, I'm totally hooked on it. You might not have pressed your frosting down enough or had it in the freezer long enough. Feel free to PM me if you need more help with this. I love doing FBCT's.

As for piping gel transfers, this is a basic technique that is taught in course one (I think) of wilton classes. YOu outline your image in piping gel on wax paper, then turn that over onto the cake and gently rub the piping gel till it adheres to the cake. then pull the wax paper away. One of my friends uses this technique a lot (her user name is SmoochieFrog I think here) and she is very good at it. I personally, would go with the FBCT, but that's just me icon_smile.gif

The tooth pick method (I think) is where you poke tooth picks through the outline on the picture and then gently press the tooth picks into the frosting to create holes around the outline that you can then "draw" on with your frosting.

I hope you get the inspiration you need and good luck with your cakes!

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 16

I'm w/Sheila. Don't give up on the BCT's. Having said that though, the gel transfer method is great for beginners. I'm going to give you a link w/directions. You can let your piping gel transfer sit for a few hours and it will harden enough to actually leave an imprint on your cake. Always make sure your frosing is crusted. You can fill it different ways, but you may find filling w/stars the best way to begin. Here's the link. Hope it helps:www.ladycakes.com/wax_paper_image.htm

fat-sissy Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 16

Just wanted to add that I don't rub my hand across the image. I use the small Wilton brush and brush it over my outline.

Crakerz01 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks so much that helps out a lot. When you fill in the gel transfer and it says to use "thin" icing. What would you do to thin it to the consistancy of filling?

fat-sissy Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 16

I use water usually (because that's what I use in my BC most of the time), but you can use milk, corn syrup or piping gel.

SheilaF Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 16

I use water too. It just means you want a thinner consistency to make it easier to work with. Not thick like you'd use for roses, etc.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 16

Dont give up on the FBCT! They really are sooo easy and they look incredible! Maybe just practice on a simple image. I havent done any piping get transfers, but it really just doesnt appeal to me personally after learning to do a FBCT. But I am sure there are people who swear by it. You just need to find which method works best for you. Try something a few times before ruling it out. I recently started doing CT. At first I DID NOT LIKE THEM AT ALL! But I practiced a few more times and with the help of people here, I am now a huge fan!

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 16

I have a question about these transfers. I'm dying to try one of these or maybe a chocolate transfer.

Does the frosting for a FBCT have to be the buttercream recipe with a lot of butter in it? I was just playing around with the Wilton canned frosting that I had leftover, and it wouldn't come off the wax paper!!!

Thanks,
Kel

SheilaF Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:06am
post #10 of 16

I've used the wilton frosting in a tube, and I've never had any problems with it sticking to the wax paper. I've heard this complaint before though. Not sure why that happens. Sorry I'm not a lot of help with that..........

Crakerz01 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:43am
post #11 of 16

Can I use the Wilton's black frosting in a tube for the FBCT or is it not the right consistancy?

SheilaF Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:59am
post #12 of 16

I use it all the time. Black bleeds though when it defrosts. I tend to use the chocolate and add a bit of black to it if I'm doing a larger project. It does not bleed as badly. If you do use the black, have paper towels ready so you can absorb some of the condensation as it defrosts.

fat-sissy Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 1:02am
post #13 of 16

You can use the Wilton black, but I'd thin it a little to make it easier to work with. Something I've started doing is keeping a tub of pre-made choc frosting (any brand will do) and mixing a little bit of black coloring with it to use for my outlining when doing BCT's.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:18am
post #14 of 16

[quote="Kelrak"

Does the frosting for a FBCT have to be the buttercream recipe with a [u:2f405795f4]lot [/u:2f405795f4]of butter in it? I was just playing around with the Wilton canned frosting that I had leftover, and it wouldn't come off the wax paper!!!

Thanks,
Kel[/quote]

I think the tutorial on here recommends an icing with butter in it. I use 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco (but that is what I always use) I know some people have used an all crisco BC without problems. I personally use parchment paper. It is from wilton and silicone treated I think. NOTHING sticks to that stuff (I can hardly even get the tape to stick to it!) Anyway it is nice because you can also trace your image right onto it and then flip it over and pipe on the the other side (good way especially if you want your image reverse, writing etc.)

fat-sissy Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 1:14pm
post #15 of 16

I usually use an all crisco BC & never have a problem w/sticking. I do freeze mine longer. Usually a couple days. I have a toddler & preschooler, so I usually bake my cake a few days in advance and freeze it. Then I start on my BCT. I usually am only able to do that a little at a time. I always start w/my black outlining and then freeze it until time permits me to work on it again. I always ask for a pizza box to go when we eat out. There perfect for protecting BCT's in the freezer.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:10pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for the tips. I haven't tried parchment yet. Pizza box sounds like a good idea too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%