Real Southern Red Velvet

Baking By soygurl Updated 10 Nov 2006 , 6:08pm by FunnyCakes

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 26

I am desperatly in need of a REAL SOUTHERN red velvet recipe.
I'm a west coast girl, but I have a really good friend who is a transplant and is really missing red velvet cake. The real stuff. She grew up in georga, texas and atlanta (I've been told that georga and atlanta are NOT the same, lol!). She mentioned an alchohol-like burn when eating the cake, but that "it was so good you couldn't stop eating."
Can anyone help me?!?!
Thanks!

~Kelsie

25 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 26

The recipe I use is from the Cake Mix Doctor. Try looking on her website: www.cakemixdoctor.com. It's one of my most popular cakes.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 26

You can also go to Food Network's website for Paula Deen's recipe (as well as a few others).

Botanesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Botanesis Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 26
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 26

i have a question .....all recipes that i have read call for 1 oz of red colour.... or more...is that really the amount to put in...what type of colour too...liquid or paste????????

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 26

The Paula Deen recipe entitled "Grandmother ___?___Paul's???" red velvet cake is the best I've ever done, and we now live in Georgia! Try frosting it with marshmallow cream cheese frosting.....PAT

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 26

The 1 oz. is a whole bottle of liquid red food coloring. You can find it in the baking aisle of your grocery. Most stores have generic but you can also get McCormick brand.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 26

Honestly, it can take 2 WHOLE BOTTLES of red food coloring. We always had twinkie filling frosting. Sorry, lost my recipe, so I use mix now.

kjgjam22 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilson6

The 1 oz. is a whole bottle of liquid red food coloring. You can find it in the baking aisle of your grocery. Most stores have generic but you can also get McCormick brand.

what about the wilton or americolor brand...i have those...how nuch of those particular colours do i use.?? 1 oz still???

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 26

Honestly, I would run to the store and get the liquid. Don't waste your good colors!

mistybp99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistybp99 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 26

it's not red velvet cake unless it has cream cheese frosting with pecans in my opinion!
And 2 bottles of red food coloring!

kjgjam22 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 1:37am
post #12 of 26

thanks guys...i have never tried that cake becaus i was always uncertain about the colour. i will get some of the liquid colour on my next ingredient run and then try the cake. icon_smile.gif any suggestions to as the best recipe? i have tons of books with it and also printed tons online too.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:53am
post #13 of 26

Southern Girls KNOW red velvet cake, and cream cheese frosting doesn't belong on it (get your act together Paula icon_wink.gif ) ! I've become snob when it comes to red velvet cake, and after trying numerous recipes (to see if they match up to my great-great-great grandma's) have decided they don't come close.
Red velvet cake is more than just a "red" cake. True red velvet cake is almost reminiscient of a devil's food cake, but is red.

Sarah's red velvet cake - a tradition of excellence.

Here it is. Enjoy

2 1/2 cups CAKE flour (recommend Softasilk Cake Flour brand -where available)
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter (no substitutes...do not use margarine)
2 eggs
2 bottles red food colouring -1 oz each
3 TBSP cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour 2 round 9" pans.
Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together (set aside).
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs and food colouring (one at a time) to the butter mixture.
Next add a little flour mixture, and some buttermilk (alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk - begin AND end with the flour mixture).
****When mixing DO NOT beat on high...unless you want the batter to fly everywhere and stain your walls, ceilings, dogs/cats pink ****

Pour into the pans, make sure to level out batter with a spatula.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool before frosting.

Mary Kay Icing

1/4 c. flour
1 c. milk
3/4 c. Crisco (regular White shortening...not butter flavoured)
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla

In a sauce pan, combine flour and milk*
Cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened. Cool completely. <----VERY important, if it doesn't cool enough it will melt the shortening.

In a medium mixing bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, and butter. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, and then add the vanilla - beat for an additional minute. Add flour mixture. Beat on high speed w/ electric mixer, for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Spread on cooled cake.

* In order to prevent any "flour lumps", there are 2 different methods I suggest for adding the flour to the milk.
1st method is to take the 1/4 cup flour, and place it in a saucepan, and add 1/4 cup of milk, and whisk it to combine, continue whisking mixture and slowly add in the remaining 3/4 cups of milk. Whisk and cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened.
2nd method would be to take a canning jar w/ lid (or similiar) and combine the 1 cup milk and 1/4 cup flour and shake vigourously to combine, prior to cooking it

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 8:30pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistybp99

it's not red velvet cake unless it has cream cheese frosting with pecans in my opinion!

Ditto!
Southern through and through and would not have red velvet any other way!!!

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 3:00pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

Southern Girls KNOW red velvet cake, and cream cheese frosting doesn't belong on it (get your act together Paula icon_wink.gif ) ! I've become snob when it comes to red velvet cake, and after trying numerous recipes (to see if they match up to my great-great-great grandma's) have decided they don't come close.
Red velvet cake is more than just a "red" cake. True red velvet cake is almost reminiscient of a devil's food cake, but is red.

Here it is. Enjoy

1 1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
3 TBSP cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk

Next add a little flour mixture, and some buttermilk (alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk - begin AND end with the flour mixture).
****When mixing DO NOT beat on high...unless you want the batter to fly everywhere and stain your walls, ceilings, dogs/cats pink ****

Mary Kay Icing

1/4 c. flour
1 c. milk
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla

Cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened. Cool completely. <----VERY important, if it doesn't cool enough it will melt the shortening.

In a medium mixing bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, and butter. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, and then add the vanilla - beat for an additional minute. Add flour mixture. Beat on high speed w/ electric mixer, for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Spread on cooled cake.

* In order to prevent any "flour lumps", there are 2 different methods I suggest for adding the flour to the milk.
1st method is to take the 1/4 cup flour, and place it in a saucepan, and add 1/4 cup of milk, and whisk it to combine, continue whisking mixture and slowly add in the remaining 3/4 cups of milk. Whisk and cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened.
2nd method would be to take a canning jar w/ lid (or similiar) and combine the 1 cup milk and 1/4 cup flour and shake vigourously to combine, prior to cooking it

This is almost exactly like the frosting I use on my red velvet cake....NOTHING else touches belongs on red velvet.icon_wink.gif Thanks for the actual cake recipe. I'm going to try this. The one I got from my grandmother is a little dry for my tastes. Can't wait to try this one!

justcakn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justcakn Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 3:16pm
post #16 of 26

I just made one last night and have another one for tonight to do, and the cake last night came out great!

Here is the recipe I used.

2 1/2 c. cake flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1 tsp soda
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vinegar
1 oz bottle red food coloring

Preheat your oven to 350. Mix all your dry ingredents together then add all of your wet ingredents and whisk untill all big lumps are gone. Grease and flour your pans, evenly distribute batter. Bake until cake spings back when you touch the center.

I doubled this recipe because I was making a huge 12 by 18 and it came out perfect. I'm doing another one tonight, because they want a double layer 12 by 18, it's going to be alot of cake...Oh and I use pan coat instead of greasing and flouring my pans but whatever works for you.
Hope this helps.

jenny

makendall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makendall Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 10:44am
post #17 of 26

A southern red velvet cake has to have pecans and cream cheese frosting... thumbs_up.gif I don't think its a red velvet cake without it.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 10:51am
post #18 of 26

Red velvet only can have Seven Minute icing - the beautiful red with that bright white icing!

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:29pm
post #19 of 26

These recipes all sound great can't wait to try the newlywed's recipe.

Licia

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 3:13pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

Here it is. Enjoy

1 1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
3 TBSP cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk

Mary Kay Icing

1/4 c. flour
1 c. milk
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla

The recipe for the ICING does not indicate what type of sugar! Is it granulated or 10X? I assume for the cake it is granulated but what about the icing?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:33pm
post #21 of 26

Gee, I didn't know there was such a controversy concerning the frosting for Red Velvet cake.

I'd be happy to sample versions of both if you'd send them to me.

You don't have to thank me, it would be my pleasure!

http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/Redvelvet.htm

http://www.recipezaar.com/123613

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:43pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjudania

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistybp99

Ditto!
Southern through and through and would not have red velvet any other way!!!

Exactly... I'm a southern woman myself (Mississippi) and this is the only way...

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:46pm
post #23 of 26

Is it the red coloring that gives it the flavor, or the cocoa?

I've got an order for a red velvet wedding cake due Dec. 16th, and I'm looking for a frosting that will pipe and smooth well.

Anyone?

--Knox--

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:49pm
post #24 of 26

The cocoa gives it flavor; the red dye gives it the signature coloring.

(And I think part of it is psychological - it's red, so it MUST taste different!)

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:51pm
post #25 of 26

The cocoa along with the other ingredients like the buttermilk give it it's flavor...

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 6:08pm
post #26 of 26

Oh man - just thinking about Red Velvet Cake makes me a little dizzy.... lol

Seriously, though, I had a reaction - the doc said probably to the massive amount of red food dye - and ended up in the ER.

Now I appreciate it from afar.

Good luck though....they are very pretty cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%