How Do You Charge For Sculpted Cakes?

Decorating By Daniellemhv Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 10:41pm by mamacc

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 7

Since I'm getting more and more (non-family) orders I'm putting together my pricing sheet. I'm charging $1.50/slice and going up from there if they want fondant or premium flavors, etc. My favorite cakes to make are sculpted cakes but I have no idea how to price them. I would appreciate if anyone could let me know how you price yours so I can get an idea of where to start. Here are a few examples of my sculpted cakes.

Note: The guitar and over the hill are really the only recent cakes. The El Camino was my first sculpted cake and I don't think it looks like an El Camino at all.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

6 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 7

Absolutely great cakes!!!!!!

May I ask a question please? How do you know how much is a slice on the carved cakes?

I charge by the minute. icon_wink.gif

Seriously though check out Kitgrl's website, she has her prices listed.

http://www.cakesbysuzy.com.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 7

I typically tell people that sculpted cakes start at $100 and go up from there depending on the design. I charge more if I have to build a custom stand for it. Also, I tend to do the first cake for a new customer for a little less $$ and then charge more the next time.

The main thing you need to keep in mind is how many hours are you spending on a sculpted cake and how much do you want to get paid per hour?

Courtney

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 7

mamacc wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

The main thing you need to keep in mind is how many hours are you spending on a sculpted cake and how much do you want to get paid per hour?

Might I say then, back to my minute. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 7

For me, custom design hand sculpted cake pricing starts at $60.00 goes up depending on the complexity and detail of the design.

Cynita

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 7

I have figured it on a per cake basis so far but am thinking of making a minimum charge of $3.00 whether it is fondant or buttercream (I actually think for buttercream I should charge more b/c it is so hard to get that smooth on a 3D shape) Then if I think it will take additional time b/c of supports/cutting/design anything then I can add some more to it.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

mamacc wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Might I say then, back to my minute. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

LOL! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%