I Need To Come Up With A 10 Minute Lesson....

Decorating By TamiAZ Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 2:13pm by emilykakes

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 6

I'm currently taking a class on lesson planning... We're starting out by doing a 10 minute lesson on something that is non-academic. I figured I would do something related to cake decorating.

So, what do you think would be something fun and interesting that I could teach in 10 minutes? It could be a cake, cupcakes, cookies or candy. I just want it to be something different.

TIA!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 6

You could take in an iced cake and spend an EASY 10 minutes on different techniques of smoothing (and I would be happy to be part of the audience!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 6

I've done cake decorating demos at high schools and find they are almost always fascinated with how many different things you can do with the same decorating tip. Use the rose tip to make roses, sweet peas, ribbons. Use the star tip to make oh my gosh the list is endless! It's easy prep for you 'coz you only have to have one bag of icing with one tip. You can do it on a cardboard circle or on a cake dummy.

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 6

How about cupcakes - You could start with tips for baking even cupcakes (filling liners using ice cream/cookie scoop, putting baking sheet on cupcakes when they come out of oven, etc.) Next you could show how to fill a cupcake. Then show how to ice making a swirl. If you still needed more to fill the time you could show easy decorating ideas for the top. Make sure to bring samples of the finished product for the class to taste! I'm sure they'd love it. Good luck!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 6

I am actually doing a little demo next Weds. for a SAHM group (to keep the business coming). I plan on doing cupcakes and taking a ton of star tips and bags so that they can all try their hand at it as well.

Good luck and have fun (don't forget your business cards and portfolio)!!!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 6

I would do a lesson on how to smooth a cake...most people do not know about the viva method. When my Wilton intructor showed our class there were so many OHHHHHS and AHHHHS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%