Newbie Question: What Should I Charge For A Particular Cake?

Decorating By Nickilyn Updated 23 Jun 2007 , 12:35am by Nickilyn

Nickilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickilyn Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 10

I just received a price inquiry for a Princess Dora cake I did a week ago (first time). I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions. What should I charge for this cake? The head and crown are made of styrofoam and covered in both MMF and Wilton Fondant, the rest is cake. Also, do you add cost of supports (dowel and wooden boards)? The link to cake is listed below. Thanks in advance.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_658093.html[/url]

9 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 10

I'm having problems viewing your cake but I charge per serving. If it's a single layer cake my prices start at $1.50 per serving and stacked cakes start at $2.50 per serving. By your description it sounds like it's a stacked cake. I charge more for stacked cakes because of the extra equipment required, like dowels. Hopefully I'll get to see it when CC starts working again.
Jacqui

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 10

All of my shaped/carved cakes start at $45 - no less, unless it is for a really good friend/family member. That cake is definetly larger and better-constructed than any of my cakes, so I would definetly charge more...much more.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 10

Okay.. so it won't let me see the cake right now , but I would charge for all of the supports and a 3-D carved cake would start at $4.00 a serving or $50.00 for me.. whichever was the larger of the two costs. No way I am putting myself through all of that work for less that $50.00.. LOL.

With that being said, I would probably not do a cake that was a likeness of a copywritten character like Dora is. You could get in a lot of trouble and fined quite a large amount if you were ever caught. It stinks, but they (Disney.. Nick.. etc) will protect their product. So many people want Little Mermaid or Dora or Spongebob.. it's up to you, but the risk is there.. Just food for thought. icon_biggrin.gif

Okay.. now that I can actually see it.. it's very cute. I'd charge around $100 for a cake of that size.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 10

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 10

wow that is a great resemblance to dora...you did a great job! personally i'd first factor how much time you'd have to put into the cake to construct and decorate it. after that set a price for your work. then add in cost of materials and ingredients. if this were my cake and my order i'd start at $100 atleast. you are talking about atleat a couple of hours working on it plus you need to make a profit. some people might think i'm nuts but i look at it from a business perspective and being that i'm only one person my time is money.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 10

I usually use the attached to figure out a price for cakes. It factors in the cost of all materials and then you have to time yourself on how long you think it would take you to make and charge the "hourly rate". I can't view your cake right now either..but this may help you decide...

Nickilyn Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the input, I did not consider a copyright issue. The original cake was for my goddaughter so there was no profit involved.

I guess I could just make a princess cake--I took a little bit of artistic license with my version of the original anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 10

I never thought about it either until I came here.. someone said the fines are upwards of 10K sometimes.. NO THANK YOU!!! icon_lol.gif What pans did you use to make her? My daughter would love it! icon_biggrin.gif

Nickilyn Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 12:35am
post #10 of 10

1icon_eek.gif K...wow...I emailed her and informed of the whole license issue but that I would be happy to make a 3-D princess cake just NOT DORA. She replied that she would check with her friend and get back to me.

For the body, I used 1-Wilton soccer ball pan and 3- Wilton 3" deep pans. The head and crown are styrofoam but the next time I do something simillar--will try Rice Krispies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%