How Should I Go About Doing This???? Please Help!

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 3:32pm by alibugs

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 4

I am wanting to make a Thomas cake for my son's birthday next month. I saw a train cake where they have made a railroad crossing sign, in the shape of an "x", to go on top of the cake. It looks to be made out of fondant or something along that line. I sent a couple of messages to find out more about it, but don't get a response.

My question is should this be made out of fondant? If so, does anything need to be mixed with the fondant to made it more sturdy so it won't break. The sign stood up on top of the cake.

I would appreciate any help you can give me. I worked very little with fondant, so this is a new experience for me.

Thanks!

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 4

yes, can be cut from fondant or from gumpaste.

gumpaste will dry faster and harder

fondant will get stiff but will take up to several days to fully dry out.

some will mix the two 50/50 as a compromise.

think of fondant as edible play-do -- works much the same (and can even use it in the play-do factory!)

gumpaste is technically edible -- but YUCK!

CustomCakesBySharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CustomCakesBySharon Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4

unless u really want someone to b able to chomp into it, i'd use gumpaste.....still edible, but like doug said - it really doesn't taste good....but hey, that doesn't stop my kids from eating it! they are always begging for scraps! icon_lol.gif gumpaste will dry hard fast and is the safest way to go.....just don't roll it too thin and take the risk of it breaking.....and not too thick or it'll take longer to dry

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 4

I made a thomas cake before. Forgot to take a picture and my friend never sent me one. I made the cake, raised it up on pillars and under the cake I had a train going through the tracks around the pillars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%