Making Trees For A Golf Course - Need Help!

Decorating By imartsy Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 6:57pm by regymusic

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 12:54am
post #1 of 13

I'm making a golf cake and I want some trees on the course (just a few) and I saw the evergreen trees tutorial on the site - but I'm not sure those are the most appropriate trees - I don't want it to look like a Christmas golf cake (it's for a b-day). Anyone ever make any other kind of trees? (not palm trees either - I'm in KY so that would be just really weird).

12 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 12:58am
post #2 of 13

take pretzel rods and do pull out branches like on ice cream cone trees...only smaller tip.

imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 12:59am
post #3 of 13

Got a tip to recommend, Doug? icon_smile.gif I need help! Hmm I wonder if I have pretzel rods around.........

Can't seem to get this post to the top.... anyone else? Got a picture of this technique?

Doug Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:04am
post #4 of 13

it's usually a small star tip.

experiment to see which looks best in proportion to the pretzel rod.

imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:16am
post #5 of 13

Crap - of course I just ran to the store b/c I didn't have pudding and I needed another cake mix and what do I forget??? Oh yeah - pretzel rods. Can anyone else comment on this? Any other ideas? I appreciate yours Doug - I think it sounds good but I just don't have pretzel rods right now - i DO have the ice cream cones though..................

Doug Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:19am
post #6 of 13

looks like we're back to the ice cream cone trees like those Christmas ones

imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:21am
post #7 of 13

Okay here we go! One more question - royal or buttercream icing? And should I make them today or could I make them tomorrow for a cake on Saturday? Do they need a lot of time to dry or anything?

imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 13

Thought I would try again and see if anyone else has ideas during the A.M. here - or hmmm it's actually afternoon..... icon_smile.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 13

Shrubs instead and limit the amount of trees? How about those Pirouette sticks from Pepperidge Farms?

alaskagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alaskagirl3 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 13

I've made some shrubs and trees from rice krispies. You make rice crispie treats but I add some green food coloring to the mix and instead of putting them in a flat pan you mold them in your hand and let them dry - voila.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 13

You could do the shrubs with large marshmallows piped over with a star tip

imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 13

those pirouette sticks could be interesting - how would you pipe the frosting on though? And would you use buttercream or royal?

Oh and the rice krispy thing - do you make a brown trunk & then like "ball" on top for the tree leaves in green? Do you have any pics of this?

Thanks guys!

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 13

I made tree/plants on wires with gumpaste leaves. I included two pictures. You can view these as a larger image in my gallery (still don't have a complete handle on the image resizer I procured off the internet). HTH.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%