Decorating With Pictures Of People?

Decorating By darcat Updated 11 Aug 2006 , 9:25pm by SugarFrosted

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 12

I was just looking at some photos of cakes that have peoples pictures on them. I would like to know how that is done. I think it is a fatastic idea and can be used for some many occasions.

Thanks Darlene icon_smile.gif

11 replies
mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 12

Some serious decorators have the printers, myself I just take the picture I want turned into an edible image to one of my local shops and pay them for the image..

shimerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimerin Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 12

Check out this site it will fill you in on everything you want to know
http://www.kopykake.com

icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 12

The pictures are called edible images. You can make them yourself using a new, compatible inkjet printer, edible ink cartridges and frosting sheets. It's easy and fun to do. Just like printing anything else except you're using edible inks and papers. I buy my supplies from Kopykake at the link shimerin posted. The printer though can be purchased through office/electronics stores or eBay for between $50-$100.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 12

If you only need a small picture, you can make a paper copy of the picture, crop it how you like, and laminate it and put it on the cake. I'll show you one I did. Before serving, she just picked all the pictures off the cake, wiped them down, and in this case, she glued them all into one of her mother's day cards.
LL

darcat Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 2:29am
post #6 of 12

thanks everyone for your help. Since I dont really want to go through the expense of edible paper and inks I really like the idea of the laminated photos.

Darlene icon_smile.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 2:37am
post #7 of 12

This is so funny! I actually had a lady order a cake earlier this week and she wanted a photo on top. I told her to make a copy of the picture and laminate it and I would attache it. I had no idea if it would work or not, but I didn't see why it wouldn't work! Glad to know it will! Thanks, Katie icon_biggrin.gif

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:16am
post #8 of 12

I have a home based business where I create edible transfers for customers. I have attached a photo of a cake I did for my grandsons' hockey team. After applying the thin sugar wafer type image on the cakes, the image merges into the icing very nicely. People are always amazed that the area of the photo on a cake tastes no different in their mouths nor does it feel different. One thing you need to remember, though, after you have positioned the image on the cake, you can't touch it anymore or mess around with it. After the cake is presented and cut, anyone can touch or examine the transfer on their piece of cake that they will be eating. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:31am
post #9 of 12

I have also used laminated pictures before. It works very well. I used a blow dryer to warm the laminated picture, to curve it to fit the surface of the big book cake I was using as an anniversary "photo album." Have a look:

http://www.sugarfrosted.com/albums/adult/normal_0157-bigbook-40thannivalbum.jpg

(Sorry, the photo is "soft" ...having been taken in the pre-digital age, and then scanned for my website.)[/url]

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 11:10am
post #10 of 12

On laminating photos, here's a tip I learned the hard way. First of all, I use the sticky laminating sheets you can buy in the stationery aisle of almost any store. What I have learned is to seal the edges tightly with your nail, a coin, or (what I use) a bread tab. Cut out the photo leaving some of the plastic edging around it. If you cut along the edge of the photo, the grease gets into the picture.

darcat Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 11:13am
post #11 of 12

Wow that book cake is beatiful. It just gave me a flood of ideas lol thank you very much

Darlene

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 12

I just remembered something about laminating also. The photos on the book cake are NOT the originals. They are color copies done at Office Depot and then the laminating was done by the clerk there. I did not want to take the chance of the grease damaging the 40 year old originals. My personal laminating sheets were the same peel-and-stick kind as TheVienneaus mentioned, so I asked my client to have the copies made and laminated for me. The copies were perfectly fine after they were removed from the cake and wiped off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%