Level & Fill 11 X 15 Cake?

Decorating By sugartopped Updated 11 Jun 2005 , 11:49pm by sugartopped

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:44am
post #1 of 9

I made my 1st 11 x 15 cake, used a heating core & baking strips and it turned out fine except when I tried to fill it. I tried using the Wilton large cake leveler and it completely tore up my cake.....the blade did not stay even and the cake ended up being 'wavy'...so I tried to fix that and it went completely downhill from there. Now I have to make a new one!! icon_cry.gif

What is a good trick to filling large cakes and keeping it level? I am not happy at all w/the Wilton leveler.

If someone could please help, I making the 'real' 11 x 15 cake on Wed. 6/15 for a babyshower and will probably need to do another practice cake before then.

Thanks in advance,
Christine

8 replies
Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:57am
post #2 of 9

Christine,

On the large leveler, was the blade locked into the notches on the side? This may have caused the blade to move about if it wasn't locked in.

Was your cake completely cooled. I would think that a cake still warm would become a mess when trying to level it. I've found that with the large leveler I do have to cut very very slowly or it will tear it apart.

Splitting larger cakes can be really tricky sometimes, I hate doing them, but once you get the cake torted, take another cake board and slowly shimmy it onto the board. This will help in not having the top layer breaking apart on you.

Hopefully I've been of some help

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 1:57am
post #3 of 9

Try placing your knife on a cup or a bowl that is the height that you want.... hold the knife in place and cut.

For a cake that big you may also want to add an extra egg and 1 cup of all purpose flour per cake mix so that the cake is more dense and will not fall apart as easily as the normal batter

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 2:12am
post #4 of 9

I also use the Wilton large leveler. I make sure it is locked in place and then cut slowly with a sawing motion. For a big cake sometimes putting it in the freezer for a while will get it stiff enough to slide it on the board. You can then stick the top part in the freezer again while you fill the cake...then it should be firm enough to put back. Hope that helps!
traci

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 3:01am
post #5 of 9

I think traci hit the nail on the head. I have used mine several times now, and it is important that you use a SAWING MOTION to cut through the cake. If you just pull it with out that back and forth motion, it will rip the cake up. Just gently saw back and forth as you move down the cake and it will be just right! (make sure the "blade" is locked in place beforehand too!)

PLINKO55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLINKO55 Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 3:24am
post #6 of 9

Christine,

Over 20 years ago, I learned a neat trick and have been using it ever since. Maybe it'll work for you. I use a cup or bowl that is the height I want and lay the knife on top; then I slide the knife in about 1/2" - 1" and go around all 4 side of cake. Next, I take a nylon thread and bring that in the knife slits on top and down bothe sides. At bottom, I criss/cross the nylon thread and pull until thread is complletely romoved which cuts the cake perfectly. To remove top, I slide a flat edged cookie sheet in between layers. After filling. I carefully lower cookie sheet on angle and push back evenly on bottom cake. I hope it works as well as it has for me. Pat

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 9

PLINKO55 ~ What a great tip! I have the large cake leveler also and just can't keep it level all the way through the cakes and mine end up like pinkbunny described. (yes, I did use the sawing motion but the blade, locked in place, kept at an upward bowing pattern) I did try the floss another time as recommended by Squirrellycakes and I did it wrong...oops! Now I'm going to try this way and see how I do! Thanks icon_smile.gif Good luck pinkbunny, you'll do fine!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 9

i have a sheet cake to do next week... Im definately going to freeze... then tort... last time, it was a NIGHTMARE!! lol!

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the advice, ya'll have def. given me some things to try. I'll le tyou know how it goes.

THANKS!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%