What Do You Do With Your Extra Cake/icing?

Decorating By Cinderella24 Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 1:43pm by mbelgard

Cinderella24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderella24 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 15

Sorry if this has already been a post. I was just curious to know what people do with their excess:

Cake?

Icing?

Feed it to the kids? Do you do something creative?

14 replies
patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 15

There is a recipe here on CC called cake balls where you use your scrap bits to make them. I usually do not have much BC left overe but this last time I made a cake I did, so I just stuck it in the freezer.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 15

Alot of people make cake balls with their leftovers. I have only tried them once so far, but they were really good.

One thing I've done that makes a nice dessert after dinner but isn't quite as sweet as cake with icing, is to take extra cake and break it into pieces and layer it with whipped cream and berries in a trifle dish or even a regular bowl.

If it's leftover batter, though, I usually make some cupcakes or a smaller cake, add a little icing and take it to work. My coworkers love me for that!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 15

Icing I keep in a sealed container and I use it to ice the 6" square, single layer cakes for my brides' samplings. I keep 2 or 3 of the uniced cakes in the 'frig and when a bride calls to make an appt, I pull one out and ice it. that way I'm not firing up the KA and messing up the kitchen for a cake that serves 4! What kind of excess cakes do you have? Or do you mean excess cake batter?

shimerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimerin Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 15

With left over icing I do run outs of flowers/alphabet or other popular objects for future use this works well with me, as for cake left overs I just freeze, it can be used for trifles of truffles at somelater date... icon_rolleyes.gif

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 15

With the cake and icing I sit the kids in the kitchen floor and take all their clothes off (well I leave on diapers and panties) and then I let them have at it...After dinner of course!! icon_biggrin.gif

They think this is the best thing ..well second best to Christmas!!!

I normally only have a small amount of stuff left over, nothing worth keeping and I never have left over batter. Dh gets to lick the batter bowl clean though!! LOL

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 15

I don't use dairy products in mine, so I can put in an airtight container and save it. If I have a cake to make and need small amounts of different colors I use my left over icing for this. Sometimes, though, I will let the kids have a go at it if I have a broken cake as well. Cake balls aren't an option here because no one wants to wait for them.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 15

I keep mine in the fridge for next time. I use an all-shortening recipe with no milk. Nothing is perishable.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 15

I toss out the cake bits. But I will keep the icing for the next cake unless it's just a little bit then I toss that also.

I don't really sell cakes or make that many so I tend to toss out a lot more stuff because it doesn't reall cost all that much.

As a business I can see saving and using everything. Otherwise you could lose a lot of money.

tmassey5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmassey5 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 15

I just throw the extra icing in the fridge (of course I have an extra fridge)1
It sure does come in handy! It's really nice not to have to mix up little bits of color every now and then. Sometimes I have been able to ice an entire cake without making any icing!
That's a money saver!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 15

i only ever have icing left over...never cake. but i freeze my icing. the coloured icing is too hard to freeze...meaning too many different bags. I am learning to colour just waht i need though. i normally colour too much.

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:03am
post #12 of 15

i use leftover icing on graham crackers or cookies...yum yum and I'm going to try cake balls for the first time tomorrow....I can't wait, but usually my family eats my leftover cake

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:16am
post #13 of 15

If I have an extra torted layer, I cut out small circles with a circle cutter and freeze for tastings. sometimes I ice it before cutting. When I have extra fillings I use a small round scoop to put a dose of filling on the cake. I use choc and white cake. If they've been in the freezer for a while, then the family gets to have at the leftover leftovers.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:18am
post #14 of 15

My husband makes what he calls Cake Casserole...for example, tonight when he gets home from work, he'll layer a bowl with the leftover cake scraps, chocolate ganache, and buttercream, and have at it.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:43pm
post #15 of 15

If I have enough and have something I will use it on before it goes bad I'll put it in the fridge. The rest gets eaten by the kids. My oldest will go through and take all the tips out of the parchment bags for me, he squeezes the extra bits of icing out but thinks I don't know it.
Cake tops get eaten by the kids, they get to have leftover icing with them.
If I have enough batter I make cupcakes or tiny cakes, the little cakes can be decorated by the kids later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%