A Good Fresh Raspberry Filling! Quick!!!

Baking By cakemommy Updated 9 Aug 2006 , 4:50pm by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 13

I ran out of my premade raspberry filling that I buy from my supply shop. Does anyone have a good raspberry filling that I can make using fresh raspberries?

Thanks so much!

Amy

12 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 13

does it have to be able to sit out.. if not you can take a box of instant pudding mix it with 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of heavy cream whip it up like mousse consistency and use that with the fresh berries. Or maybe mix them in with buttercream.
raspberries and lemon are good together too.

cakemommy Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 13

It really is a bummer because I just found out that the cake is going to be sitting outside with the rest of the ceremony activities! I use butter in my "butter"cream! Should I use a half and half recipe for my icing? I would hate for my cake to melt.

Thank you for the tip on the filling. That probably won't be good for the cake though while it sits outside huh??? It sounds good though!

Amy

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 13

I always use the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco buttercream recipe. I have never had a problem with it going bad unless its left out for a week or so. I used that recipe for the wedding cake in my pics called "Krand wedding cake" the darn cake table was in the sun for almost the entire ceremony and reception.. I was in a panic.. It was delish though when they cut it.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 13

1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries (or fresh)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
Filling: In a small sauce pan, combined all of the ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Let cool.

OR, another good one

1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup raspberry-flavored wine cooler
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
Red food color, if desired

Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in 1 1/2-quart saucepan. Stir in wine cooler. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter, almond extract and 2 or 3 drops red food color. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

cakemommy Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 13

Thank goodness!!! I would hate to have my cake and it's insides spoil!!!!!!

Thank you for the yummy recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cake is due Friday at noon! I'm making the cake tomorrow. Should I wait until I decorate on Thursday to make the filling or can I make it tomorrow and fill it tomorrow? I will not be able to refrigerate the cake!!!

Thanks for your help. I have never made a filling. I just buy mine from my supplier in San Diego! Guess I better learn how huh???

Amy

nickshalfpint Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:06am
post #7 of 13

You can make it tomorrow. It takes about 1-2 hours to chill. I've made mine 3 days in advance and it was fine. What supplier do you use. I'm in San Diego and a Navy wife. I like your comment about being a Navy wife, sooooo true!!!!

cakemommy Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 2:09am
post #8 of 13

Good deal!

I buy my stuff from Do It With Icing on Clairemont Mesa Blvd! The owner is Linda Bills! She's great!!! If she doesn't have it in her store, she'll order it for you! I buy tons from her whenever I am down there, at least every March when I'm down for the cake show. My sister and I both buy from her. I swear, we are her best customers! I just ordered and recieved the best clear vanilla from her. All I have to do is call her and tell her what I need and she'll ship it to me within the week!!!!!!! I unfortunately spaced on calling her and ordering my usual 4 pound tub of the seeded raspberry filling. That stuff is delish!!!!!!

Amy

Yeah, been a Navy wife for 10 years now!!! We are back on a carrier again!! icon_cry.gif But I'll manage! It's never a dull moment around here when my DH is out with two little boys running around driving me insane!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 13

I'm gonna have to go there and try out some stuff. It's not that far from us. My husbands on a frigate and they are always gone. We have 3 kids, 9, 4 and 1. It's real fun when he's gone =) Good luck with your cake.

Kristen

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 13

You can always use jam. In a pinch it is wonderful!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 13

If I use jam, can I mix it with buttercream or whipped cream. I'd like something more than just a jam filling. Please advise. icon_biggrin.gif

cakemommy Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

If I use jam, can I mix it with buttercream or whipped cream. I'd like something more than just a jam filling. Please advise. icon_biggrin.gif

Great idea especially considering I just bought fresh raspberries!!! icon_confused.gif

Amy

cakemommy Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 13

It's real fun when he's gone =)

Okay, reread what you just wrote and look at your Avatar!!! So appropriate!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%