When Renting A Kitchen....

Business By tyty Updated 23 Jun 2007 , 2:43am by shooterstrigger

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 13

do you take all of your equipment to that kitchen? Are you able to use things in the rented space other than the ovens and sinks? What is the approx cost per month?

12 replies
lisap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisap Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 13

It depends on what type of agreement you have with the kitchen. I am allowed to use their oven, refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, etc. The only things I bring with me are pans, racks, mixer and baking supplies. Some people have cabinets in their rented kitchen where they can store those types of supplies. The one I use doesn't have the space so I haul everything with me that I will need for that night. My arrangement is by the hour so right now, I pay $20 per hour to use it. Monthly cost varies by how many cakes I need to do.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 13

i would love to rent kitchen time. my question is, how did you find a kitchen to rent? i have been online searching and haven't found anything. those of you who rent kitchens, how did you find them?

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 13

The lady I will be renting from is super sweet. She said that I could use anything in her kitchen. Also, she said she would order me things through her wholesale supplier if I needed. She's going to let me use her pans and tools as well. Of course, if I have the pans or tools I will use those instead. She is letting me rent the space for $10/hour, which is amazing! I haven't actually rented the space yet since it's still in the finishing stages of inspections.

Technically, per the health department, you are not supposed to haul your equipment back and forth to your house. Everything that you use to work on the cake is supposed to stay in the licensed kitchen at all times. (I don't think most people follow that, however.)

And on how to find a place.... goodness... I know you are going to hate hearing this but it seems to be by luck and determination. I looked for over 6 months for a place to rent. I tried my church (too busy), other churches (just no), doughnuts shops and other bakers. I heard a lot of of the word "No". I was so nervous at the beginning to ask and then I just go used to it. I started searching on the internet for any and every bakery. Lol...some of the cake people I called (that had internet sites and everything) where actually illegal themselves. Finally one day I passed by this shop that looked like it was in the process of being built and I emailed the person. After about 3 or 4 emails back and forth she agreed!!! The place is only like 3 mins from my house!!!

So my advice to find a place:

Check Craigslist (in your area) and get a phone book and call all the churches, bakeries, catering companies and doughnut shops in your area. MOST IMPORTANT: Don't get discouraged by the No's and expect some people to think you are crazy by asking if you can rent their kitchen.

GOOD LUCK!

kimberlina25 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 13

jewelykaye-

Thank you so much, that is such great advice, i was a little hesitant to try churches and bakeries, etc. but there is no harm in asking. are churches considered legal commericial kitchens? if they are legal, do I have to become licensed as well?

kimberlina25 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 13

tyty-

sorry for hijacking your thread. I have been curious about renting kitchen space, so thought i would ask. Sorry icon_redface.gif

jewelykaye Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 13

Grr.... I responded to this and it didn't post it. Now I must try to repost it in it's orginal glory and I don't think I'll be successful as my hands now hurt but I shall try...

Some churches are licensed and some are not. That is something you will need to ask. Also, you need to find out if they are only a warming kitchen because I don't think you can use those.

Seems like most church kitchens (actually most of all kitchens) I called wanted me to have General Liability insurance. So if you don't already have that you might want to look into it.

I don't know how it works for Utah as I live in Texas (my parents used to be stationed in Utah though, years ago). You might want to contact the health department there and ask them what the policy or procedure is on renting a kitchen.

Here in Houston you must have the business that you are renting from send a letter to the health department stating that they will basically be "adopting" you under their license. Then an inspector from the health department (free of charge) will come out and do a pre-inspection, which is basically them coming out to add you to the license. This way if anyone reports that address to the health department they know to go after both of you.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 13

I have done some looking in my area. There seem to be several ways of setting it up. The place I'm looking to use has ovens, fridge, freezer, and mixers and mixing tools I would be able to use. I'll just need to bring pans, decorating tools, and ingredients. We are still working out rental amounts. But I think $15-20/hour is the going rate. Many places I saw want you to commit to a certain number of hours a month for a flat monthly rate of $300-800.

Good Luck!

jewelykaye Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by albumangel

I have done some looking in my area. There seem to be several ways of setting it up. The place I'm looking to use has ovens, fridge, freezer, and mixers and mixing tools I would be able to use. I'll just need to bring pans, decorating tools, and ingredients. We are still working out rental amounts. But I think $15-20/hour is the going rate. Many places I saw want you to commit to a certain number of hours a month for a flat monthly rate of $300-800.

Good Luck!

That's very true...about the pricing....

I was lucky to find such a nice lady to help me out at my price...a lot of people want to do the monthly amount.

tyty Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 9:00am
post #10 of 13

The lady that told me I could rent her kitchen, told me this last year. I was not decorating that many cakes then, but now word is getting around and I an getting more business. My son used to work for her and she was looking at my cakes on my cell and mentioned to me that I could rent her kitchen.

I am now thinking about looking over the kitchen to see if there is enough room to work there. It's kind of a small cafe type eatery. I'm starting to get calls for large cakes and wedding cakes. I want to get legal so I won't have a problem bringing cakes into reception halls etc. I already had to back out of 2 wedding cakes because the couple was told I had to be legal to bring a cake in.

I wanted to get an idea what the cost is so when I go to her I will have some idea. Thanks a lot for your response.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 9:48am
post #11 of 13

craigs list is a good idea.. Put an ad in there saying you are looking for a commercial kitchen to rent. I did that and got about 4 replys, but unfortunately was further away than I wanted.

tyty Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 12:40pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the tip.

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 2:43am
post #13 of 13

Try your local school district. Our district is willing to rent the gym and classrooms...I would think the kichen could be used as well. I suppose the hours would be limited but it is worth a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%