How Many Of You Have Supportive Husbands?

Decorating By casebit Updated 18 Jun 2013 , 3:59am by Drxkfairy

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 3:48am
post #121 of 134

I am also grateful for my husband. He truly is my biggest supporter and goes above and beyond to help me when it's cake time. He's the one that sets the coffee pot when I have to pull an all-nighter. He's the one that washes all the dishes and cleans the kitchen after I'm done. He's the sounding board for ideas. This is just a little bit of what he does for me. icon_smile.gif I love him.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 12:21pm
post #122 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbaker

First let me say that I love my husband dearly and he's great in most aspects of our life together and with my caking he is supportive .... sort of...it's really confusing at times. One minute he's bragging me up and the next he makes me feel like I"m wasting my time. For example, I've done several cakes for clients of his who've all raved about my cakes to him and he loves to come home and tell me all about it and he seems so proud. He also promotes me to people all the time. He's also great about running to the store if need be or helping out with a delivery, etc. and on occasion, he's even surprised me by cleaning up the kitchen while I'm out making a delivery. However, he's also really good at making me feel guilty for doing it. He constantly reminds me that I'm not getting what I'm worth out of it and I spend too much time making each cake "perfect", and that it takes away from "our time" because, let's face it, cakes are usually a weekend gig. I do this basically as a hobby because there is just no way to make a decent wage off of caking in my area (unless I take on so many orders that I'm working round the clock) and thankfully my DH brings home the bacon so to speak so I'm not pressured to "make money". I keep my business separate from the home account and what profits I make are mine to keep and spend as I so wish so that's never an issue. But sometimes I feel like he just doesn't consider this a "real job". Take last week for instance. I spent the entire week working on a cake and six different baked goods for my parents 50th Anniversary party and his only comment "your crazy to do all this and for nothing". Seriously?? It's for my parents! I was exhausted by the end of the week and not once did I get sympathy or a "good job" out of it from him -- well, at least not until after all the raves about my desserts from all the party attendees. Like I said, confusing.

It sounds like he's proud of you but also concerned that you're working yourself too hard at the same time. I wouldn't look at that as being negative, but as trying to protect you, know what I mean? Quite frankly, that sounds like a more realistic scenario than having a husband who's constantly supportive and never has a gripe about the time that it takes to do cakes. Nobody is CONSTANTLY happy for someone else unless they're a robot. Everybody has a whiny moment every now and then.

luv2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake4u Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 1:38pm
post #123 of 134

My husband is awesome! He just spent the last 6 months making me a commercial kitchen in our basement. He never complains about my time spent in the kitchen and is happy that I have a creative outlet. At times,,he is not happy when I leave a huge mess, but usually pitches in and helps with clean up. I have also supported my husband's hobbies and his expenses/time associated with them. Give and take both ways. thumbs_up.gif

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 5:24pm
post #124 of 134

My husband is very supportive and I am also supportive of his hobbies. He doesn't like to see me up all night baking and stressing out but when I do, he tries to stay up with me as long as he can and helps me clean up the next day. He encourages me to take all of the classes I want and I do the same with him regarding his hobbies. My husband is awesome!

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 6:29pm
post #125 of 134

I couldn't have a better supporter than my husband. I had a (heavy) 2 tier cake to deliver one Saturday morning, and it turns out I had to work at my other job. He offered to deliver it for me since he had the day off. Well, as it turns out, my boss said I could come in after I had delivered the cake. I told this to my husband, and he said that would work since he wanted to go into his work to get some paperwork done. The night before I had to deliver, I finished decorating the cake, and started worrying about the weight of the cake...yes I could carry it, but it was really heavy! My husband had already went to bed because he was going in to his job early, so I just kept my fears to myself, and went to bed. In the morning I noticed my husband was still in bed when I woke up. I asked him why he wasn't already gone to work. He said that he had gotten up in the middle of the night, saw the finished cake, and decided he needed to help me deliver it, and that he would go into work once we dropped off the cake! I sure love that man!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 6:55pm
post #126 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It sounds like he's proud of you but also concerned that you're working yourself too hard at the same time. I wouldn't look at that as being negative, but as trying to protect you, know what I mean?

Agreed, I would do the same thing if my wife was working long hours for menial wages. When I put together the pricing structure for our bakery I made sure both of us would be paid appropriately for our contributions.

When you're busy baking and decorating it's sometimes difficult to see the big picture from a business perspective, e.g. how much you are getting paid per hour to work on someone else's cake. If you aren't getting paid enough, you need to lower your costs (cheaper ingredients and/or more efficient work processes) or increase your prices. If you think you are being paid enough, it might be beneficial to take a look at your costs and revenues and share that information with your husband so he won't be as concerned.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 10:02pm
post #127 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbaker

I almost scared to reply to this with any kind of negativity given all the amazingly supportive husbands there seem to be out there but...

First let me say that I love my husband dearly and he's great in most aspects of our life together and with my caking he is supportive .... sort of...it's really confusing at times. One minute he's bragging me up and the next he makes me feel like I"m wasting my time. For example, I've done several cakes for clients of his who've all raved about my cakes to him and he loves to come home and tell me all about it and he seems so proud. He also promotes me to people all the time. He's also great about running to the store if need be or helping out with a delivery, etc. and on occasion, he's even surprised me by cleaning up the kitchen while I'm out making a delivery. However, he's also really good at making me feel guilty for doing it. He constantly reminds me that I'm not getting what I'm worth out of it and I spend too much time making each cake "perfect", and that it takes away from "our time" because, let's face it, cakes are usually a weekend gig. I do this basically as a hobby because there is just no way to make a decent wage off of caking in my area (unless I take on so many orders that I'm working round the clock) and thankfully my DH brings home the bacon so to speak so I'm not pressured to "make money". I keep my business separate from the home account and what profits I make are mine to keep and spend as I so wish so that's never an issue. But sometimes I feel like he just doesn't consider this a "real job". Take last week for instance. I spent the entire week working on a cake and six different baked goods for my parents 50th Anniversary party and his only comment "your crazy to do all this and for nothing". Seriously?? It's for my parents! I was exhausted by the end of the week and not once did I get sympathy or a "good job" out of it from him -- well, at least not until after all the raves about my desserts from all the party attendees. Like I said, confusing.

Spouses don't always 'get' each others' interests. My husband races one of his cars and is constantly fiddlying with various engine parts to try to optimise speeds, or researching racing methods. All that seems like a a complete waste of time to me, and I do get annoyed sometimes when he spends the weekend doing that instead of things as a family.

However, I recognise that he works all week and needs a hobby, like I do, and that although I don't understand the attraction, greasy engine bits are obviously fascinating to him.

Men sometimes don't quite get the aesthetics of pretty cakes and desserts, especially when they see how long it takes, and that it all gets eaten, anyway. For us, it's a matter of each allocating time for the other to do their hobby, and to understand when something that doesn't seem very important, is important to the other.

kansasjill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansasjill Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 1:05pm
post #128 of 134

Mine is amazing!  We've been together since high school and married for 18 years.  He knows that sugar has always been my passion but raising 5 kids while starting and managing our main business didn't leave a lot of time for it.  Now that the business' (2 locations) are running smoothly and the kids are not tiny babies (15 years down to 2 years) I have had more time to explore my love of the pastry arts.  We are in the process of putting a kitchen in downstairs -my dream space- and my business is taking off.  I don't do it for the money but because I really, really love it.  He knows that and he is extremely patient with my online cake store shopping, late nights in the kitchen and hours on Pinterest and cakecentral.  He's even great about me traveling to take a class every once in a while.  I'm a blessed girl. 

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 3:10pm
post #129 of 134

My husband is incredibly supportive.  12 years ago, I left a career I loved, that was very challenging and rewarding, to be a SAHM and homeschool our two fantastic kids.  It's challenging and rewarding in different ways, but being a caker has been a wonderful outlet for me.  I'm a hobby baker, so it's not an overwhelming commitment but when I do a wedding cake or big celebration cake, I'm sucked into a cake vortex for days lol.  He has never, ever complained about the mess, the time I spend doing it, nothing.  He has helped me immensely in so many ways.  He's my delivery helper (hey, I can't lift these heavy suckers), he's the ONLY one who carves cakes in this house because he can look at a stacked block of cakes and see the pirate ship inside, and I can NOT, haha!  He has helped me with figure sculpting, he repairs my airbrush when I'm ready to throw it across the room, and he's the official taste tester :).  Couldn't do this without his support!

Peanut-Butter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut-Butter Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 4:52pm
post #130 of 134

AMy lesser half supports me, especially if I make him something too haha

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 5:02pm
post #131 of 134

Mine is great! He even helps out when I get really stressed over something. (No decorating skills but he can clean, cook dinner, and bake the cake if needed!) Not sure what I would do without him. 

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 6:05pm
post #132 of 134

AI was married to a man who threw away my collection of Wilton catalogs (from 1977 on). I cried and he didn't understand why I was so upset about "old trash". I was so upset, he tried too replace them with a cake book - the cake mix doctor (I bake from scratch).

He is now my EX-husband.

My current husband is amazing and everything my last one wasn't. He even sold his 67 camaro (his dream car) so I'd have room in the garage for all my cake stuff.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 8:20pm
post #133 of 134

A@ brandisbaked that is so sweet!! Any guy willing to sell his car for his wife is a diamond!!

Drxkfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Drxkfairy Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 3:59am
post #134 of 134

So my soon to be husband is so great we have been throw a lot together.  We have been together for 5 years live together for 4. He has pushed me when i need the push has always supported me in what ever I wanted to do. With his last push he has helped me find a job I'm in love with. I'm now teaching cake decorating. He has paid for some cake decorating classes when we really didn't have the money to. Witch is how I found my job. He helps with anything i need help with like keeping the kids busy when I'm working on cakes. Helps me come up with ideas and taste test some my cakes when I'm playing with new recipes and never complains about anything like the money for supplies, all the long hours. But the other day he said the sweetest thing " I'm going to start taking your cake classes." and when i asked him why he said " because I what to help you with your cakes." He is the best I cant wait to be his wife soon I could have asked for a better person to spend the rest of my life with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%