Pink, Sparkles, And Girly 1St B-Day Cake

Decorating By coolmom Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 1:37pm by coolmom

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 14

I have a customer (one who is actually planning on paying me!!! icon_lol.gif ) and she wants a girly pink 3 tiered cake for her daughter's 1st b-day. She gave me the party ware to go by. I love pink and have so many ideas, but once I incorporate everything I'm thinking of I'm afraid it might start to be too tacky or pepto-bismol like. Polka Dots, Hearts, Stipes, Glitter? What ideas do you all have? I should mention that she also wants BC icing with MMF accents only, not entire MMF.

13 replies
AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 14

Congrats on your order! I would suggest doing the bottom tier white, with pink vertical MMF strips (like the one plate), the next layer just plain pink, and the top layer white with small pink MMF hearts around it thumbs_up.gif And if you want, you could do a MMF '1' and stand it up on top of the cake!

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 14

I did a ballerina tutu first birthday cake for a little girl that's posted in my photos. It's pink and white striped on the sides kind of like the plates you posted. Maybe one tier you could do pink cake with white mmf polka dots, the next you could do striped, and then the next you could do hearts. On top you could put a big one on a stick and maybe some different sized dried hearts.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

the next layer just plain pink,

I liked what Amykay suggested except put white dots on the pink. Check out the napkin. This cake would be perfect for one of those mad hatter type whimsical tilted cakes. Can they be done in butter cream?

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKay

Congrats on your order! I would suggest doing the bottom tier white, with pink vertical MMF strips (like the one plate), the next layer just plain pink, and the top layer white with small pink MMF hearts around it thumbs_up.gif And if you want, you could do a MMF '1' and stand it up on top of the cake!

LOL that's exactly what I envisioned when I saw the partyware, and then I read your post and it was almost verbatim LOL

Although I was going to reverse the order a bit, make the top layer the white plate with pink around it and add the Number 1 and/or Happy Birthday (standing up is an awesome idea), and then the second layer is the pink with dark/light pink/white heart cutouts on top and sides, and bottom is the other plate colours

wow yaknow considering I hate pink with a passion, I actually am thinkin that will look pretty good LOL

AmyKay Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 14

That is too funny!! I am not a big pink fan either, but I think this will be really cute!! icon_lol.gif

atkin600 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 14

Yeah Amy Kay, I think that I have some sort of delay on my postings because I promise that I hadn't seen your post when I typed mine, even though the time says five minutes later. The ideas are very similar. I get excited about little girl cakes. I think they are the most fun to do!

AmyKay Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 14

Oh, don't worry icon_smile.gif Mine always seems to take a while to update even when I refresh the page

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 14

I agree, three tiers...bottom tier white with pink stripes in fondant, middle tier pink with lt. pink polka dots (like the napkin) top tier I would do a solid light pink and then attatch some darker pink fondant hearts onto some wires and make it really fun and whimsical with them sticking out all over......or make pink chocolate hearts on lollipop sticks and then the kids can eat those or use them as favors!

coolmom Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 14

Wow! Such great ideas!! I can't wait to get started...too bad the party is 2 weeks away! Some of the ideas I had thought of, but a lot of the extra details will make this cake special. When you get all the other minds at CC working and put all the ideas together its amazing! Oh, and I got my first star under my name and my first paid cake order on the same day!!! icon_biggrin.gif

coolmom Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:18pm
post #11 of 14

Here is the final sketch...what do you think?
The colors aren't exactly right, but you get the idea.

atkin600 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:22pm
post #12 of 14

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product!

bovaritter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bovaritter Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:29pm
post #13 of 14

I think it looks great! I am doing a similar cake for a "fun" summer wedding where one layer has multi-colored stripes and the other polka dots. I love those more whimsical designs. I was wondering what program you did your sketch in? I usually do mine on paper but I think this would be great to be able to just easily email it without scanning.
Is it paint?

bovaritter icon_cool.gif

coolmom Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:37pm
post #14 of 14

Yes, I took one of Doug's sketches, saved it and opened it up in paint. It's a little tedious sometimes, but it helps me a lot! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%