Sponge Bob Cake Pan

Decorating By moralna Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 11:40am by moralna

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying to bake a cake in the Wilton Sponge Bob character cake pan and tried a homemade batter but the outlines did not bake well so that when I have to do the outlines and fill in the colors, it is hard to see. The instructions on the pan mention using a cake mix batter, so I am going to try that. Does anyone have any suggestions on a cake mix I can use where the outlines will come out clear enough for me to pipe?

8 replies
Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 9

Sometimes that happens to me and I just wing it. I put the insert right next to the cake when I am decorating it so I can pretty much figure out where the lines and piping goes and it usually comes out o.k. HTH!

moralna Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks! I am going to bake another cake with box cake mix and see how that comes out and if not will take your suggestion. P.S - your cakes are lovely

shimerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimerin Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 9

Do make sure you flour dust the greased pan as sometimes in the past I did not do this and the same problem happened. icon_lol.gif

moralna Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 9

I used the Pam spray with flour instead of greasing and flouring - do you think it could have been that?

shimerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimerin Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 9

Could have been that, when I greased and flour dusted it recified my problem but then again it could come down to the cake mix you use, you could make your cake, trim the sides down slightly, jam and cover cake with thin layer of fondant and then press the cake pan over the top making sure your pan is dusted in icing sugar or cornflour/starch for release, that would give a good impression.

icon_cool.gif

bjwelchjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjwelchjr Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 9

What a great idea with the fondant! I never thought of that. I also have had problems getting the details of the charcter pans sometimes. But it is usually becuase I used a extra moist cake mix. Try duncan hines and the recipes on this site for durable cake. It has always worked for me. Good luck!
Beth thumbs_up.gif

shelli72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelli72 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 9

I made the spongebob cake and had a similar problem. I used shortening and flour and really need to get into the grooves. The second time it worked perfectly. Good luck

moralna Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:40am
post #9 of 9

Thanks to all for your suggestions - especially the fondant idea - terrific!!! I ended being able to work with the cake I originally baked and free handing some of the Sponge Bob details and the cake came out great and most importantly, my 2-year old nephew loved it!!! As soon as I have the pictures, i will down load it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%